Author Topic: Kitchen lighting ideas  (Read 3113 times)

border-rider

Re: Kitchen lighting ideas
« Reply #25 on: 03 March, 2011, 07:06:21 pm »
Ok, comparison brought forward (the electrician left a fitting and an array of lamps behind & Mrs MV & I just played with them for half an hour)

Conclusions: the CFL is a lot warmer and way dimmer than the existing 50W GU10 halogens.  And takes too long to come on; it'll be fine for the rest of the house but not adequate for the kitchen

The 8.5 W LED is a lot brighter; dimmer than the halogens but still way warmer.

The surprise was a 6.5 W "cool white" LED.  This was comparable in brightness and hue to the incandescents and to me looks a better bet for the kitchen.  

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #26 on: 03 March, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
Nice fluorescent tube light on my kitchen ceiling ftw   :thumbsup:

What's this "Part P" now?  You mean DIY dads can't replace cheap spotlights with fluorescent tube or add an extra socket on the wall while replacing kitchen tiling?   :o

No doubt soon you'll need to get a qualified sparky in to change a light bulb.....

border-rider

« Reply #27 on: 03 March, 2011, 08:38:32 pm »
I'm currently dealing with the aftermath of someone with a slightly cavalier attitude to Part P and other wiring-related aspects of the building regs.   I think non-compliance should be punished with life imprisonment in the Tower </only slight exaggeration>

« Reply #28 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:47:47 am »
What's this "Part P" now?  You mean DIY dads can't replace cheap spotlights with fluorescent tube or add an extra socket on the wall while replacing kitchen tiling?   :o

You can, but you need a qualified electrician to come round and bless it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #29 on: 04 March, 2011, 12:02:09 pm »

You can, but you need a qualified electrician to come round and bless it.

I'm out of incense, do you think Windolene would do?    And I'll not mention the fact that the power to the garden shed is just an armoured cable ran along the garden fence and through the kitchen wall to a 13amp plug via an RCD socket....... ;)

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 07 March, 2011, 07:19:37 pm »
Agree with MV; loads & loads of spots.

But go for CFLs (or LEDs if they exist yet)

Problem with CFLs & LEDs is that they are just not as bright as halogens, and you need more of them.  We now have 25 - count them - holes in the ceiling where LED spots will be going.  That's a f'in expensive pile of lighting.