Author Topic: Yorkshire Dales - fings to do..?  (Read 3444 times)

Yorkshire Dales - fings to do..?
« on: 01 August, 2011, 02:01:28 pm »
Anyone have good suggestions on family things to do in & around the YD Nat. Park.  Non-cycling, on this occasion.  I haven't actually been cycle touring in the YD since 1992, have to do something about this!

So far:
Malham Cove, Bolton Abbey, Hawes creamery.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Yorkshire dales - fings to do..?
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:07:25 pm »
The Settle-Carlisle railway
Skipton castle (I've not actually been there but it's apparently good)
Take a trip east and visit the breweries at Masham if the kids are old enough, or to Harrogate if they aren't.
Do the family like any sort of outdoor activities?  There's plenty to do.

This is a good day for a Yorkshire tourism thread btw  ;D

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Yorkshire dales - fings to do..?
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:09:21 pm »
Am I allowed to suggest JD Tandems as a tourist destination?  :demon:

Castle Bolton is worth a visit, too.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Yorkshire Dales - fings to do..?
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:20:48 pm »
If you're into castles, then Castle Bolton is an absolute treat.  Barden Tower may no longer be accessible, but is worth stopping off at.  Skipton Castle is lovely, and well worth a visit.

Boat trips from Skipton up the Leeds-Liverpool (don't miss out the Springs Branch at Skipton!)

Short walk up between the Springs Branch of the canal and the mill race at Skipton (next to the Castle) is usually delightful

Grassington is lovely, with tearooms and plenty of short walks.

Settle-Carlisle is brilliant.

Malham Cove, yes, but also Gordale Scar adjacent.  Kids love climbing up the waterfall and walking round to the Cove over the limestone pavement.  There's a good climbers' cafe at Malham, and a big car park at the NP Visitor centre, but it can get very busy round Malham in summer.  While you're up there, mind, go to Janet's Foss.

On the subject of waterfalls, head North to High Force and Aysgarth Falls.  Beautiful, and really impressive, especially after the rain.

Hawes Creamery is especially good for Wallace & Gromit fans.

Kilnsey Crag is worth seeing, and Mastiles Lane, so long as it isn't completely destroyed by 4x4s now (it's a while since I've done it) is beautiful.

Bolton Abbey & The Strid - complete with stepping stones at the Abbey!

Steam trains from Embsay

Settle is a nice little town with lots of interesting little shops.  And kids are bound to giggle at Ye Olde Naked Man cafe!

Skipton has some of the best chippies in the country, with Eastwoods supreme (or at least it used to be). But go to the Woolly Sheep on Sheep Street for great food.

I'll think of more stuff in a bit...

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »
Oh - Ice cream by the river at Burnsall!  A must.

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:24:57 pm »
Conistone Dib.  Kids will love it.  Not a very long walk if you don't want it, but a chance to climb up through a stony gorge - quite magical.  In fact, there's a good walk to Grassington over the top if you want to do that.

Big car park at grassington, too, btw.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:25:57 pm »
Hardraw Force too. And Tan Hill's worth a visit.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »
Hardraw Force damn right! :D  That is something pretty special.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
Do go to goredale scar. It's been used to film a really wierd film starring Kiether sutherland.

The cliffs are epic, the scramble up the chokestone is technically easy but scary, and you get rewarded by a setting straight out of enid blyton. And circling peregrine falcons.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:32:05 pm »
Richmond's a grand place too - big imposing castle, cobbled market, lovely walks by the river.

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:17:57 pm »
Thanks all - some good ideas there!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:39:39 pm »
What we haven't asked is what sort of ages the kids are, what interests they have, whether they are prepared to walk or not etc etc etc.

There are a lot of short and rewarding walks, especially around Craven.  And some more challenging walks, such as across Fountains Fell or round the Three Peaks.

Oh - Ingleton is worth checking out, as White Scar Cave is very cool.

A bit further afield will take you to Keighley, where you can go on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, which is a great steam experience, and, of course, the setting for the Railway Children.  Be aware, however, that 'Oakworth' in the film is actually Haworth.

Haworth has a great Main Street - steep and cobbled (almost no motor traffic), with bookshops and shops full of curiosities.  At the top is the Bronte Parsonage.  I'd give this a miss with kids.  I was taken there when young, and it was dull dull dull dull dull.  It may have improved, but I doubt it.  You can get to Top Withens, which is the inspiration for Wuthering Heights and far more interesting than any gloomy parsonage, but that's just an option.  Haworth also has some nice tearooms, but expect to pay high prices.  The pub at the bottom of the hill, the Old Hall Inn, serves good food.
Getting there...

The Mechanic

« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »
Stump Cross Caverns, Brimham Rocks and Ingleborough caves near Clapham are worth a visit.  Any kid would be interested in a place called Stump Cross Caverns.  In Clapham, the Reading Room cafe is worth a visit as well.

« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:50:35 pm »
Malham Cove is good with kids.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2011, 05:12:42 pm »
What we haven't asked is what sort of ages the kids are, what interests they have, whether they are prepared to walk or not etc etc etc.

There are a lot of short and rewarding walks, especially around Craven.  And some more challenging walks, such as across Fountains Fell or round the Three Peaks.

Oh - Ingleton is worth checking out, as White Scar Cave is very cool.

A bit further afield will take you to Keighley, where you can go on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, which is a great steam experience, and, of course, the setting for the Railway Children.  Be aware, however, that 'Oakworth' in the film is actually Haworth.

Haworth has a great Main Street - steep and cobbled (almost no motor traffic), with bookshops and shops full of curiosities.  At the top is the Bronte Parsonage.  I'd give this a miss with kids.  I was taken there when young, and it was dull dull dull dull dull.  It may have improved, but I doubt it.  You can get to Top Withens, which is the inspiration for Wuthering Heights and far more interesting than any gloomy parsonage, but that's just an option.  Haworth also has some nice tearooms, but expect to pay high prices.  The pub at the bottom of the hill, the Old Hall Inn, serves good food.

Minis are 10 & 13,  don't do much walking (though do have 'walking boot - trainers')... and are active (walking to school, gymnastics, swimming etc).  I was wondering about this walk...
Malham Cove, Malham Tarn and Gordale Scar Walk 
http://www.walkingenglishman.com/dales17.htm 

but it may be a tad much...

Conistone Dib, looks like a good one.

« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »
It will be fine. Have done that with pcolbeck junior and his cousins when they were a similar age.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #16 on: 07 August, 2011, 07:51:14 pm »
When are you there?

Aug Bank Hol winch meet at Gaping Gill
http://www.cravenpotholeclub.org/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 07 August, 2011, 09:10:32 pm »
The Gordale/Malham walk you posted is a good one.  It doesn't seem even as long as it is, since most of the upwards bit is climbing the gorge, which is great fun.

It is many kids' favourite walk.
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 07 August, 2011, 09:24:50 pm »
When I was that age, I was always keen to climb Ingleborough Hill. I liked best the walk from Clapham via Little Ingleborough, with a detour to peer down into Gaping Gill, and maybe a tour of Ingleborough Cave on the way back down.

Other favourite walks from my childhood: Pen-y-Ghent, Norber, Gordale Scar, Malham Cove, Victoria Cave and Attermire Cave.

But if your kids don't like walking in the countryside, I don't really know what to suggest!

« Reply #19 on: 08 August, 2011, 09:56:01 am »
Thanks all. 

a_s, Gaping G.  looks amazing, we'll miss those dates though.

Clarion/PC - good to know.  That's walk number one sorted.  :)

Gareth, yes, I think since we're staying 3 mls away, walk number 2 has got to be up Penyghent  http://www.walkingenglishman.com/dales22.htm 

Hopefully it won't rain the whole time...   ;)

Andy

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 08 August, 2011, 10:59:57 am »
Gaping Gill is worth going back for another time.  It really is amazing.  Not sure if it's suitable for your kids, though.

As you've probably guessed, I'm more familiar with Craven - Wharfedale, Airedale & Malham than I am with the Three Peaks, so sorry if most of my suggestions have been slightly off the patch.  Pen-y-Ghent is very beautiful, however.  Well, all three are, although they can be challenging.  Worth it, mind.

Up that way, I'd mention White Scar Cave again.  Well worth a visit.
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2011, 04:58:09 pm »
Gaping Gill is worth going back for another time.  It really is amazing.  Not sure if it's suitable for your kids, though.

As you've probably guessed, I'm more familiar with Craven - Wharfedale, Airedale & Malham than I am with the Three Peaks, so sorry if most of my suggestions have been slightly off the patch.  Pen-y-Ghent is very beautiful, however.  Well, all three are, although they can be challenging.  Worth it, mind.

Up that way, I'd mention White Scar Cave again.  Well worth a visit.

Thanks Clarion - White scar cave looks very good.