Author Topic: The various styles of cycling  (Read 1139 times)

The various styles of cycling
« on: 18 September, 2012, 11:06:39 pm »
I would not consider myself to be anywhere near an expert on the subject of cycling and so i enjoy watching racing where the commentary adds insight and a further level of understanding/appreciation of the sport.

Watching the grand tours over recent years i have come to understand that there are different styles of cycling on display within a road race, but for the life of me i am struggling to discern them, one famous individual style appears to be Contador's 'dancing style' cha-cha ing his way up the mountains (it really does seem a shame he can't let go of the bars and put his hands to greater effect).  But one 'dancing style' Contador doesn't appear to do is tap, whereas other riders, including his teammates, will happily tap out a rhythm on the front for him, i guess he can then just improvise on a theme?
Another popular but, for me difficult to discern style, is the 'crouching style', some riders apparently have their own 'famous crouching style' but i'm not sure of the differences between these crouching styles.  I suspect it's like martial arts with all their various styles and nuances, but sometimes i watch and i'll say to myself (or if in company point out to my fellows), that 'he is in his crouching style' only to feel a bit lost and embarrassed when the commentary fails to corroborate my observations.

Can anyone provide a link to, or further advice on, the various styles of cycling?

Thanks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The various styles of cycling
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:54:12 am »
What you are discovering is another facet of that well-known racing tradition:
Hugh Porter talking twiddle twaddle.

If you apply for his job, I'll vouch for you based on this insight alone:
But one 'dancing style' Contador doesn't appear to do is tap, whereas other riders, including his teammates, will happily tap out a rhythm on the front for him, i guess he can then just improvise on a theme?
:D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2012, 02:24:12 pm »
See also: Bradley Wiggins "time trialling" his way up a mountain, "time trialling" his way down a mountain, "time trialling" a sprint train, "time trialling" a solo breakaway...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »
Commentators talk bollocks.
Bears cr@p in woods.
Pope is Catholic.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they're not trying to turn over a ridiculous, knee-grinding gear, the style I like to see is either Froomish twiddling or Contadorish dancing. I do both depending on the terrain (but at about half their road speed).
The journey is always more important than the destination

Toady

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »
This explains simething that has often puzzled me.  Presumably one uses a hammer to tap, so when they stop tapping they don't need the hammer any more, explaining why they have "put the hammer down".