Author Topic: The S24O  (Read 25009 times)

border-rider

Re: The S24O
« Reply #25 on: 04 April, 2008, 10:44:43 pm »
I like the idea of this. How about a YACF S240 'arrow'. i.e. we select a venue, all ride there from our own homes / work, put up tents, have a bit of a social, camp, breakfast, ride home.

That'd be good :)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:42:24 pm »
I'm definitely in.

Tonight, I have been playing with fizzy drink can stoves.  So far, I still have both my eyebrows...

Where are we going then?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #27 on: 05 April, 2008, 02:47:39 am »
both my eyebrows...

< looks at avatar > Whaddya mean "both"?  <runs>
 ;)

scottclark.photoshelter.com

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #28 on: 05 April, 2008, 03:45:12 am »
Sounds like something even I can do :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:09:46 am »
If the date and venue are convenient then I reckon that me, Chill_moister, Urban_Biker and Keeks could be up for this.  It's pretty much what we do anyway.

PS.  As much as I love camping, we had a superb 'S240' using a Youth Hostel last year.  The fact that the YH was also a pub may have contributed to the overall effect.

September would be perfect for me.

For anyone wondering whether this sort of thing can be enjoyable:

Apologies to those who find the smell of cooking bacon offensive (and apologies to those who don't and are now drooling)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #30 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:55:29 am »
don't think I could make the south, after work, before dark  ;) ;D
yebbut if you left after work in midsummer you could get an awful lot further before dark!
Mebbee we should have one further north, I bet Pingu would be right up for it.

About 160 mile Aberdeen to Ullapool? About 80 mile each. And the more southerly scottish members could head north. It's a possibility  :thumbsup:

Si

« Reply #31 on: 08 April, 2008, 12:11:55 pm »
I've been planning to do something similar to a S24O for the last four years - my mate keeps trying to organise it and then he backs out when he realises that it would require actually riding a bike.

But the plan was to do an off road one as we know the location of a bothie hut in Cambrian Mountains.  The start was to be from Builth or similar (on the railway line from Bham) go off round Llyn Briane (off road version of Devil's Stair case for all you Elenithers), the amazing Dothie Valley single track (6km of natural), and various other local treasures, spend the night at the bothie and then ride home via a similar type of route for late breakie/early lunch at the Neuadd Arms.

My "mate" seems to have given up biking all together now so I'm looking to do the ride alone, but would welcome company should anyone fancy it.  No great MTBing skills called for as the route has thrills but nothing overly technical.

« Reply #32 on: 08 April, 2008, 02:54:39 pm »
That sounds great! That's the kind of thing I would want to use a mountain bike for, if I had one.

« Reply #33 on: 08 April, 2008, 03:05:22 pm »
When single, I used to do these sorts of trips. Sometimes (if tired or in bad weather), I'd stop at a youth hostel.

My preferred dinner option was to stop at a pub, eat, drink, then ride a few miles into the night and camp. That avoided needing to carry a stove.

Yeah, it's fun.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #34 on: 08 April, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »
Motivated by this thread I have been thinking of doing some overnight trips with the kids in the summer. We'll be doing the York Rally, but I am also looking at local campsites about 20 miles or so away (an easy day's ride) and we'll do an out, overnight, then meander around a bit before coming home. It would be really cool to meet up with others who are of a similar intent (pun intended).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

PH

« Reply #35 on: 08 April, 2008, 08:48:10 pm »
It’s my favorite sort of camping, one or two nights, maybe with an Audax in between.  The joy is not needing to take much, my level of comfort for one night can be a lot less than for a week or two.  I saw the Rivendell article a while ago, it’s encouraging that despite their bike prices they recommend a $100 tent, it demonstrates how simple this can be. 

« Reply #36 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:39:51 pm »
It’s my favorite sort of camping, one or two nights, maybe with an Audax in between.  The joy is not needing to take much, my level of comfort for one night can be a lot less than for a week or two.  I saw the Rivendell article a while ago, it’s encouraging that despite their bike prices they recommend a $100 tent, it demonstrates how simple this can be. 

They also offer a $50 titanium pot and a $100 hatchet, just in case you don't want to keep it too simple.

« Reply #37 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:54:36 pm »
Yeahbut, the $100 hatchet is really rustic-looking.  ::-)

« Reply #38 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:56:32 pm »
I'm surprised at the sense of revelation on this thread. I do this several times a year if I get the chance. I just call it freelance touring.
I go where I fancy. I have an idea of area, such as Welsh Mountains or whatever. Then I just finish work and get riding. Maybe I'll sleep, maybe not. Maybe in a B&B, Youth Hostel, bus shelter, field, whatever I feel like. It's great, just go wherever. See a road that takes your fancy and follow it. I pretty much did this for the best part of 5 months in 2005.
I like the idea of us meeting up at a given location for a weekend.

LEE

« Reply #39 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:35:06 am »
Charlotte

If you contemplate anything in late summer, west of London, let me, Urban_Biker, Chillmoister and Keeks know about it.  I'm sure we'd be interested.

My bike is perfectly adapted to camping of this sort

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:38:07 am »
If anything's going off, Lee - you'll see it here.  You and your fellow winos would be more than welcome  ;)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #41 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:42:28 am »
If anything's going off, Lee - you'll see it here.  You and your fellow winos would be more than welcome  ;)

None of that was for my fellows

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #42 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:45:47 am »
yep - he makes us bring our own.  :'(
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #43 on: 09 April, 2008, 11:10:58 am »
I'm surprised at the sense of revelation on this thread. I do this several times a year if I get the chance. I just call it freelance touring.
Yeah but you didn't give it a name or a philosophy - Teethgrinder Weekend Epiphanies, maybe?

Really Ancien

« Reply #44 on: 09 April, 2008, 11:41:10 am »
Rivendell, that's from Tolkein isn't it. Some controversy surrounds the inspiration for this locale, but of course the Ribble Valley or 'Ribblesdale' has a claim. http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Issue64/64E-hobbits.htm
So the stamping ground of so many Lancashire cyclists has been mytholigised, inspiring a bike company in California which repackages tradition as its own wisdom. I've got a lugged steel bike, I might occasionally take a ride over a weekend. Slaidburn would be a good destination, there's a Youth Hostel and a river and a village green and little stone houses and all that sort of stuff.

Damon.

Chris N

« Reply #45 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:05:36 pm »
I've been planning to do something similar to a S24O for the last four years - my mate keeps trying to organise it and then he backs out when he realises that it would require actually riding a bike.

But the plan was to do an off road one as we know the location of a bothie hut in Cambrian Mountains.  The start was to be from Builth or similar (on the railway line from Bham) go off round Llyn Briane (off road version of Devil's Stair case for all you Elenithers), the amazing Dothie Valley single track (6km of natural), and various other local treasures, spend the night at the bothie and then ride home via a similar type of route for late breakie/early lunch at the Neuadd Arms.

My "mate" seems to have given up biking all together now so I'm looking to do the ride alone, but would welcome company should anyone fancy it.  No great MTBing skills called for as the route has thrills but nothing overly technical.

That sounds like a great idea.  Trains to Builth (Not Builth itself, but Builth Road.  Llanwrtyd Wells is probably better) aren't that great, but it's a lovely line.  It's the same area that I'd been planning for my bivvying experiment, except I'd be heading over Drygarn Fawr towards Abergwesyn and Llyn Brianne from Rhayader.

I'm surprised at the sense of revelation on this thread.

I'm not - I think that people need to be told that it's possible to do this kind of thing.  I'm all for it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:27:02 pm »
Rivendell, that's from Tolkein isn't it. Some controversy surrounds the inspiration for this locale, but of course the Ribble Valley or 'Ribblesdale' has a claim. http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Issue64/64E-hobbits.htm
So the stamping ground of so many Lancashire cyclists has been mytholigised, inspiring a bike company in California which repackages tradition as its own wisdom. I've got a lugged steel bike, I might occasionally take a ride over a weekend. Slaidburn would be a good destination, there's a Youth Hostel and a river and a village green and little stone houses and all that sort of stuff.

Damon.

Tolkein certainly had a connection with Leeds (did he teach there? </toolazytogoogle> ), and knew the Dales, which do seem to pop up occasionally in  LOTR.  It occurs to me that there is a section in the Mines, which may have been inspired by the rapid exploration of Dales potholes round about the time of writing.

Rivendell could well be Ribblesdale, which is a great place to ride.  :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #47 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »
Rivendell, that's from Tolkein isn't it. Some controversy surrounds the inspiration for this locale, but of course the Ribble Valley or 'Ribblesdale' has a claim.

Grant Petersen says he named his company after Rivendell Mountain Works, as described here. Rivendell Mountain Works was presumably inspired by Tolkien's work.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:35:42 pm »
btw, there's a Rivendell in Sheffield...
Getting there...

« Reply #49 on: 09 April, 2008, 05:37:43 pm »
There's certainly a Riverdale in Sheffield, 'cos my friend used to live on Riverdale Road, and it's just across from Endcliffe Park where I used to spend more time than was seemly in my youth...

Never heard of a Rivendell in Sheffield, though, but I haven't lived there for 30 years, so things may have changed!

Sara