Author Topic: Woolie Boolie socks  (Read 1066 times)

sam

Woolie Boolie socks
« on: 27 February, 2024, 10:08:06 am »
Anyone else like these? I've been wearing them for decades now; it's the only sock I like. They're thicker than most cycling hosiery. (Hosiery? Yes hosiery.) The problem is, at some point they became a bit crap, pilling and wearing out too soon. Hence I have a drawer full of sad specimens with worn out heels. My question is, do you know of other brands which are of similar construction (i.e., BC = Before Crapification)?

Re: Woolie Boolie socks
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2024, 10:15:29 am »
The Woolie Boolie is without equal in my humble opinion.  I wear mine for winter walking as I no longer enjoy the pleasures of cycling.  They are also superb during the colder weeks of the year.

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2024, 02:40:26 pm »
i love them but cry off at the price THEN complain my cheaper ones (Madison) are wearing out already or my Rapha ones which have been great are even more expensive! Buy cheap buy twice should be my motto.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2024, 03:27:08 pm »
They're very good. Even if named from an annoying rock n roll song.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2024, 07:53:34 pm »
Haven't found anything better than Woolie Boolies.
Especially the longer cuff version, as keeping ankles warm helps keep toes warm too.

sam

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2024, 07:58:09 pm »
To be clear, I don't think there's anything better; but the last time I bought some maybe half a dozen years ago, they didn't seem to be as well made as previous. Hence my Q about any similar brands. It sounds like nobody shares my impression of a decline in quality.

[checks current cost] [finger painfully hovers over order button...]

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2024, 10:11:08 pm »
Mine are all newer than that, well used and I've yet to go through a heel on them.
I go through heels and big toe corners on every day socks all the time though.

Even with a bit of felting they're still by far the best cycling socks I've got.

I put them up there with Bridgedale walking/hiking socks

Wouldn't use much else.

Do your heels move much in your shoes?
I definitley move in my trainers but cycling and hiking seem to be different on that front.

« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2024, 12:51:11 am »
I had a local equivalent which I had used for decades & decades of hiking and cross country running. When my knees gave out and I took up cycling I continued to love them. A few pairs on fast rotation would be good for 10 or 15 years but the "traditional" colour (red) seems to be now made from unobtainium, the last search I made only lists a pair in a Victorian museum ! I am down to my last 3 very well used pairs, perhaps the museum will lend them to me?

https://collections.museumsvictoria.com.au/items/371861

sam

« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2024, 01:34:09 am »
the "traditional" colour (red) seems to be now made from unobtainium, the last search I made only lists a pair in a Victorian museum !

I can see the headline: Socks Go Missing

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2024, 07:40:56 am »
Even with a bit of felting they're still by far the best cycling socks I've got.
The felting makes them better, like dachstein mitts.
Just need to buy a larger size.....

Years ago, when I did a lot of walking, I hand knitted mitts and socks - deliberately large so I could shrink/felt them!

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2024, 08:59:46 am »
My pairs used to be Mr Smith's (EUR 47) which is why he can't really be trusted with laundry.

« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2024, 01:39:13 pm »
To be clear, I don't think there's anything better; but the last time I bought some maybe half a dozen years ago, they didn't seem to be as well made as previous. Hence my Q about any similar brands. It sounds like nobody shares my impression of a decline in quality.

[checks current cost] [finger painfully hovers over order button...]

I will observe that if I do not keep my toenails well trimmed I end up with holes at the tip of my big toes in particular. 

« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2024, 03:39:29 pm »
Anyone else like these? I've been wearing them for decades now; it's the only sock I like. They're thicker than most cycling hosiery. (Hosiery? Yes hosiery.) The problem is, at some point they became a bit crap, pilling and wearing out too soon. Hence I have a drawer full of sad specimens with worn out heels. My question is, do you know of other brands which are of similar construction (i.e., BC = Before Crapification)?

Darn tough. Great build, lifetime warranty, never had a hole in mine to date.

Massive range up to extreme cold weather hiking stuff, but I like the micro crew light hiker for general use including cycling.