Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 65205 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #425 on: 01 April, 2023, 07:22:58 pm »
I am quite shameful.  At this time of year I do not turn the heating on for myself but sometimes I want my red wine to acclimatise to a better temperature so it tastes better.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #426 on: 01 April, 2023, 08:35:25 pm »
The kids + granddaughter arrived home from the maternity unit this afternoon.
#2 son. "What time does the heating come on in the morning, dad?"
Me. Err, it doesn't.  6pm if it's cold enough."
#2 son, Mrs B and DiL.  "WHAT TIME DOES THE HEATING COME ON IN THE MORNING?"
*Wanders down to futility room to sort it*
"6.20 - 8.00."

Thinks. "That child needs to get a Saturday job PDQ"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #427 on: 25 April, 2023, 08:26:24 pm »
Heating did go back on for a while yesterday. Or was it a couple of days ago? The day it got cold again. Not today.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #428 on: 25 April, 2023, 09:02:09 pm »
I am quite shameful.  At this time of year I do not turn the heating on for myself but sometimes I want my red wine to acclimatise to a better temperature so it tastes better.

It is a bit much when you have to microwave it to get it up to room temperature.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #429 on: 25 April, 2023, 10:44:30 pm »
We've been away for a long weekend, but I notice that my weather station recorded 25 hours of non-stop rain to 6am yesterday, and more last night, when the temperature dipped to 2°C. When we arrived back at about 6.40pm today, the inside temperature was a mere 13°C. We've had the heating on since, and a couple of oil filled radiators and now it's up to a more comfortable 18°C.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #430 on: 25 April, 2023, 10:51:59 pm »
Mine's been on for a couple of hours in the mornings these past couple of days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #431 on: 25 April, 2023, 11:23:10 pm »
Ours hasn't been off, because thermostats.

And because the new boiler does load compensation, I don't have a very good indication of the total runtime any more.  Gas consumption graph is approximately inverse with outdoor temperature, as you'd expect.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #432 on: 26 April, 2023, 09:00:21 am »
We've been away for a long weekend, but I notice that my weather station recorded 25 hours of non-stop rain to 6am yesterday, and more last night, when the temperature dipped to 2°C. When we arrived back at about 6.40pm today, the inside temperature was a mere 13°C. We've had the heating on since, and a couple of oil filled radiators and now it's up to a more comfortable 18°C.
You like to say that the Badlands of Essex are colder but drier than the Mild Wet Westlands, but on this occasion you've managed to be significantly colder and much wetter! Perhaps you brought an area of high humidity back from Pembrokeshire with you?

« Reply #433 on: 26 April, 2023, 09:10:06 am »
We haven’t paid for gas since December.  That’s because the smart meter stop working in that pre Christmas cold snap, and they still haven’t been able to send an engineer out to sort it out.  Looks like it’ll be no time soon as well, given yesterday’s conversation in the ongoing email chain.

The actual gas, fortunately continues to work.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #434 on: 26 April, 2023, 03:55:10 pm »
You like to say that the Badlands of Essex are colder but drier than the Mild Wet Westlands, but on this occasion you've managed to be significantly colder and much wetter! Perhaps you brought an area of high humidity back from Pembrokeshire with you?

The Family Fun that is “Rainfall Top Trumps” is generally won by my sis-in-law near Shrewsbury, but mid-Essex (my brother’s place) took pride of place in March. His son in Chelmsford recorded even more but he’s not on the “Sibling Plus” WhatsApp group.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #435 on: 01 May, 2023, 01:00:34 am »
Midweek: heating on.

Today: desk fan on.

WTF ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #436 on: 02 June, 2023, 01:04:59 am »

Am seriously considering putting the heating on in my flat. It's been relatively cold (for June) outside the last few days highs of 14°, lows of 10°. And my flat's internal temp has dropped by 4 degrees.

Brrrrr

Kindly
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #437 on: 02 June, 2023, 07:47:29 am »
The heating came on yesterday in my house. It was the first day of summer.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #438 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:57:06 am »
Ours is still "on" courtesy of the thermostat and timer. This morning the radiators were warm - probably got down to 17 vs the setpoint of 17.5.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #439 on: 02 June, 2023, 01:59:07 pm »
Ours is still "on" courtesy of the thermostat and timer. This morning the radiators were warm - probably got down to 17 vs the setpoint of 17.5.
Mine was looking like it was off for the summer until the haar came in up the eden yesterday, I thought I'd moved far enough inland to avoid that.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #440 on: 02 June, 2023, 05:18:12 pm »
Our heating is off at the thermostat, & hasn't come on due it being set to 14C...  :)    Mind you, door open and it's 21C inside atm...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #441 on: 25 June, 2023, 01:38:18 pm »
There's "heating" here all year round. Hot water comes from a central boiler and goes into the flat into a hot water tank. The pipe is boxed in near the ceiling but I can feel it's hot. The cupboard next to it is now 38.5, today's temp is 31.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #442 on: 07 August, 2023, 01:56:52 am »

Just wandered into the kitchen and discovered that the kitchen radiator has come on. Given I have the valve on that set to come on only to keep damp away, it's bloody cold. In August. Thermometer in the living room shows its colder indoors than I keep the flat in winter when the heating is on. Fortunately none of the other radiators have come on.

J
--

« Reply #443 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:26:51 am »
 We should think ourselves lucky.  The World Scout Jamboree has apparently been hell on earth due to heat and is now closing early to escape an oncoming typhoon.  It does sound as if they weren't prepared.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #444 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:31:26 am »

Just wandered into the kitchen and discovered that the kitchen radiator has come on. Given I have the valve on that set to come on only to keep damp away, it's bloody cold. In August. Thermometer in the living room shows its colder indoors than I keep the flat in winter when the heating is on. Fortunately none of the other radiators have come on.

J
Seeing as you've said you like an indoor temperature something like 25C, it would have been on all summer in England!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #445 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:05:59 am »
Needed the heater in the bathroom since yesterday and in the kitchen this morning. We're due 28° on Friday, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #446 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:26:21 am »
Thobut, by midday the sun is shining on the roof and upstairs is too hot. So no heating in the morning. Anyway, 24 C forecast later this week in Lancashire; so, as you were; summer is back.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #447 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:20:39 am »
We should think ourselves lucky.  The World Scout Jamboree has apparently been hell on earth due to heat and is now closing early to escape an oncoming typhoon.  It does sound as if they weren't prepared.

So lots of scouts with motivation to target their fighting global warming badge...

Seeing as you've said you like an indoor temperature something like 25C, it would have been on all summer in England!

Nice and comfortable tho 25° is. I actually keep the flat at 23° in the winter.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #448 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:22:56 am »
It's barely been over 20 here all through July and (so far) August.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #449 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:24:50 am »
It's barely been over 20 here all through July and (so far) August.

July has been very cold. August so far not doing so great either.

June was lovely. My flat was a nice 29° most of the time. Tho the 40 days without rain ewsjt ideal

J
--