Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 65239 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #600 on: 23 October, 2023, 11:31:12 am »
It is possible for the header pipe to block. I have known two systems that this happened on. First, my own system where I currently live. Second an accommodation block at Basildon Hospital, where I was a heating engineer. The silt was so thick in both that the length of the pipe had to be replaced. Both had header tanks made from galvanised steel. The symptom was that the upstairs radiators would bleed for a couple of seconds, and then the air would stop coming out. As a temporary measure (until the systems could be conveniently taken out of use for complete drain down), I was able to use the expansion pipe to fill the system. Tricky though!

That seems to be what is happening... that's a damned pain.

But, having said that, all the water that was in there in January must have gone somewhere...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #601 on: 24 October, 2023, 11:49:25 am »
It is possible for the header pipe to block. I have known two systems that this happened on. First, my own system where I currently live. Second an accommodation block at Basildon Hospital, where I was a heating engineer. The silt was so thick in both that the length of the pipe had to be replaced. Both had header tanks made from galvanised steel. The symptom was that the upstairs radiators would bleed for a couple of seconds, and then the air would stop coming out. As a temporary measure (until the systems could be conveniently taken out of use for complete drain down), I was able to use the expansion pipe to fill the system. Tricky though!

But, having said that, all the water that was in there in January must have gone somewhere...

It is likely that the blockage is sediment that can allow very slow seepage of water, but will not keep up with the higher than normal flow demands of bleeding. If your system was drained in January and not used properly since then, it will take a long time to fill the system properly, through the blockage. It is probable that the blockage is in a horizontal run of the header pipe (before it enters the main system loop). If you can find where that is, you are half way to the cure. Gentle percussion of the horizontal section, while the header is full and a bleed valve is open, may be all that is required. That is a two person job. One to tap and the other to shut off the bleeding screw, if the blockage clears. I have known the copper pipe in old buildings to perforate though, so it could be worth enlisting a professional!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #602 on: 27 October, 2023, 11:33:16 pm »

Heating's been in in the living room for a couple of weeks. Finally caved and turned on the radiator in the bedroom. It got too cold to read in bed.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #603 on: 28 October, 2023, 12:55:58 am »
No jumper required when cycling to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles this arvo so certainly no need to further enrich EDF.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #604 on: 30 October, 2023, 12:34:32 pm »
Has the filling loop been left open

I have no idea.  I can just about cope with bleeding a radiator...

, or is the pressure going up as it heats?

This as far as I can tell.  As soon as the boiler kicks on the pressure starts to rise.
Expansion vessel sounds b0rked. It should accommodate the change in pressure due to temperature rise as the boiler runs. All of which is a bit academic I suspect as it sounds like fixing it isn't in your skill set.

I’ve managed to sort the pressure out.  Mr R had knocked a tap/valve putting something away. 

The radiators still aren’t heating up though.  Time to get the heating chap in.

Heating chap found that one of the pumps for the heating was jammed and the other was completely knackered.  One pump unjammed and one replaced and, hey presto, working heating!  He's also recommended getting the expansion vessel checked (as he didn't have time and the boiler is due its annual service).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #605 on: 30 October, 2023, 07:13:30 pm »
Thermometer downstairs in my house over the past few days vary between 15C and 16C.  In my bedroom it varies between 16C and 18C. So no need for heating yet.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #606 on: 30 October, 2023, 07:15:20 pm »
Thermometer downstairs in my house over the past few days vary between 15C and 16C.  In my bedroom it varies between 16C and 18C. So no need for heating yet.

Without wanting to sound creepy. But. What are you wearing?

16°C I'd be thinking about putting gloves on, as well as hiding under every blanket I own.

J
--

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #607 on: 30 October, 2023, 09:03:00 pm »
A cotton traders long sleeved flannel shirt and thin long trousers.  When I go outside I put a jumper on and a rain coat.

Last week I was still in short sleeved shirt and short trousers.  I do not seem that sensitive to mild temperatures, but I hate drafts.

Remember the temperature setting of the thermostat on your central heating is not an accurate statement of the temperature.  On some systems it can vary a lot around the set temperature.

Actually at the moment just pyjamas.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #608 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:56:16 pm »
Digital desk thermometer says 19.8, digital clinical thermometer says "L", though the latter agrees fairly closely with the former in the summer.  Which is a surprise, because the clock part of the desk gadget is utter shite.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #609 on: 31 October, 2023, 07:50:02 am »
Still wearing shorts - with a fleece . . . . but I have running bet/joke with a shorts-wearing neighbour to see who gives in first each winter ;D

Bike riding is shorts all year round for me, although I draw the line at snow.

« Reply #610 on: 31 October, 2023, 10:20:41 am »
I've not worn longs since the start of the pandemic.
-5° C  is the lowest I've exposed my knees to.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #611 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:59:29 pm »
It being November already I tried this evening. Nothing happened. Bummer or what? Maybe I should have tried earlier, but then complacency sets in at a certain stage in your life.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #612 on: 04 November, 2023, 10:14:50 pm »
Possibly this should go in the 'What have you fettled today' thread, but it's not it's here. I poked around rather unscientifically with the three way valve and the hall thermostat and to my great joy the CH started working. I'm not sure what made the difference but hey ho we are warm.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #613 on: 05 November, 2023, 09:55:08 am »
Quite possibly the actuator on the 3-way valve is a bit dodgy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #614 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:44:17 pm »
It is 24c in this place, so I want to know, wot is a one of these? (see picture)
Is it am early form of TRV, a tap or something else?

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #615 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:46:34 pm »
Looks like an old-fashioned tap-style valve to me. Not a TRV.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #616 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:56:46 pm »

Yeah. That looks like a simple tap. Control hear by adjusting flow rate only.

If you own the place, get it swapped for a TRV.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #617 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:07:08 pm »
Own the place
Nah I don't live in my health board of employment so can't even claim that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #618 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:09:03 pm »

I'm sorry I can't parse that.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #619 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:19:27 pm »
It's at work

It's belongs to the healthboard

The healthboard is made up by the councils whose areas it covers

I don't live in one of those areas.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #620 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:37:44 pm »
It's at work

It's belongs to the healthboard

The healthboard is made up by the councils whose areas it covers

I don't live in one of those areas.

Ah in which case I would suggest that instead of trying to replace it you set your goals on something more achievable
 Like maybe world peace...

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #621 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:41:04 pm »
Think we'll stick with raising the temperature with estates, they won't do anything, well actually they'll do the same thing as last time and tell us to set the TRV or room Thermostate appropriately.
At least now we can retort with "dinnae hae ain, eh!"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #622 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:52:57 pm »
If it is too hot in there, try closing the valve somewhat.

See how many turns to close it completely, and then close it half. See if that makes any difference. Adjust accordingly until teh flow is restricted to a leave that gives you a comfortable heat. Be prepared to open it a bit more when it is colder out.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #623 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:56:50 pm »
1) close the valve.
2) Open the valve 1/8 turn

That will give you either no heat or the right amount.

If no heat, open another 1/8 turn.

Leave it an hour between adjustments
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #624 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:58:22 pm »
There's a problem there
The boiler room is turned off at weekends and night.
And we have direct sunlight at midday

So if we turn it down its too cold in the morning, and if we turn it up its OK in the morning and saunaesq from the afternoon onwards.

There's also 4 of them to manage, plus what ever is going on with the ones in the hell desk below and the ones in the corridor.

Basically management of them is beyond athe ability of the development team