Author Topic: Weight Gain Thread  (Read 6148 times)

Weight Gain Thread
« on: 28 March, 2008, 12:05:12 pm »
For those who have trouble keeping ourselves sleek.

My new summer resolution is to put on weight, hopefully to at least 72kg. I'm going to drink more beer (instead of wine), for the extra calories. I'll cut down on coffee and sugar, and up the nuts and salad.

The main hassle is finding a suitable source of fats. The doc says my cholesterol is starting to go up (ta, biological clock, you can just sod off please), so I have to cut down the dairy.  >:(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Weight Gain Thread
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 12:09:05 pm »
Nuts are a good source of fats, Macadamias are particularly good!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2008, 12:24:32 pm »
Lard. Need I say more?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2008, 12:27:21 pm »
Lard.

You can get some 0.5% fat free lard if you shop around.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2008, 12:33:08 pm »
Lard.

You can get some 0.5% fat free lard if you shop around.
So it contains 99.5% fat then?  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2008, 12:33:28 pm »
Lard. Need I say more?
But isn't that full of cholesterol-containing animal fats?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2008, 12:46:18 pm »
I thought you wanted to get fat?

Or have I misinterpreted this whole thread and you're really a very thin person trying to get less thin?
If so, sorry, and git!  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2008, 01:11:06 pm »
I'm not very thin - just thin-ish. I struggle to keep my weight above 70kg. I look like I weigh about 60kg. Call me a git if you like, but people make jokes an comments about skinny people too. If you are a bloke, the comments are usually along the lines of "skinny weakling". Or it's assumed you can't do something, like lift big items, or play rough sport.

However, I come from a family from a history of heart disease; all the men need major heart surgery before 60, or drop dead.

So I struggle to fit in enough high-calorie food that isn't also bad for arteries and heart.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2008, 03:47:31 pm »
As I said....  ;)

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2008, 04:28:39 pm »
"Weight Gain Thread"...

Well, this place is certainly inclusive.

« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2008, 02:25:43 pm »
What about peanut butter?  It's crammed full of fats and calories, but some of the fat is the better mono unsaturated kind.

Sainsbury's do a bar called a '9' bar (actually 2 types, nutty and original, you'll find 'em near the Free From section) which have nuts and seeds with a carob (chocolate type) covering.  They pack a lot of calories as well, and are handy for carrying and snacking on.

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2008, 10:51:20 pm »
We buy our 9 bars from Suma by the box - they are wheat free, so very handy for me.

I assumed that the palm oil in peanut butter was bad - is that not so?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Craig

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2008, 11:08:18 pm »
You can get peanut butter that doesn't contain any palm oil (or sugar or salt).
Tahini also contains quite a bit of good fats and other healthy stuff.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2008, 10:14:03 am »
Ooh.  I like this thread. 
I'm also one of those who was always the skinny kid.  Age and beer are now beginning to change that, but with age has come a loss of appitite, so I still struggle to get the calories in.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2008, 10:28:28 am »
I'm not very thin - just thin-ish. I struggle to keep my weight above 70kg. I look like I weigh about 60kg. Call me a git if you like.
Thanks. I will. GIT!!!    ;D ;D ;D

Peanuts are high in cholesterol btw.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:19:47 am »
I do not need to gain weight.
I am, however, sitting here eating the pudding, which I couldn't finish last night.
It was treacle sponge and custard, which was an experiment of mixed success in the microwave.
One egg, 3 oz. flour, 2 oz oz caster sugar and 2 oz veg. oil, whisked into a batter, then nuked on medium.
Initially, I needed a pickaxe to extract the concrete from the bowl, so I'd nuked it for too long.
I excavated it eventually, turned it upside down, poured on water and syrup, nuked it a bit more, and then served it with custard (also made in the microwave)
Partner loved it and felt full for ages.
It's still palatable reheated this morning.
It does have an egg in it (but you could probably just use an egg white) but otherwise only has vegetable oil. (Friend had suggested margarine but I had none in the house. I don't have the strength to cook with it much anyway.)
Experiment and enjoy!

Craig

« Reply #16 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:27:53 am »
No they're not. Cholesterol is found in animal fats, plant foods contain only traces of cholesterol.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
No they're not. Cholesterol is found in animal fats, plant foods contain only traces of cholesterol.

I think it's important to understand the difference between cholesterol and saturated fat.
Both are considered 'bad' but they are not the same at all.

Cholesterol is a steroid substance found in animal products, hence its sterol name.

Fats consist of 3 fatty acid chains, attached to the limbs of a glycerol molecule, which is shaped like an E
(This is why they are called triglycerides)
The fatty acid chains can be saturated, with the maximum number of hydrogen atoms attached to each carbon atom, or unsaturated, with double bonds forming in the carbon chain.

The unsaturated fats (like vegetable oils) tend to have a lower melting point than the 'hard' saturated fats, like lard & butter.

Not all vegetable fats are unsaturated however. I think coconut oil is fully saturated.
The saturation of an oil is increased in the production of margarine.

« Reply #18 on: 30 March, 2008, 01:54:39 pm »
Call me a git if you like, but people make jokes an comments about skinny people too.

Very true. And it's often hurtful too. Not that I would ever mock anyone for being (or feeling) overweight, but if this fat woman at work says "You're so skinny" again, I swear I'll make a comment about her weight!

Comment on skinny people: Socially acceptable.

Comment on larger (oohh, that was polite eh?  :P ) : Socially unacceptable.

It doesn't bother me so much now - I just accept I'm skinny (I'm not actually under weight), but when I was younger I was very conscious of it and ate like a horse. Never put on a single pound!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

alan

« Reply #19 on: 01 April, 2008, 08:39:20 am »
Ye gods,a weight gain thread.

10 years ago my doctor told me that I was a stone underweight according to his height/weight ratio chart.

Now I am at least a stone overweight.I blame the lack of nocotine,tar & other carcogenics in the lungs & bloodstream.

It would be nice  if I was able to add something positive to this thread based on experience.All I can offer is a suggestion to stop smoking if you are not already off the weed.Everyone I know who has stopped smoking has put on weight to some degree.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #20 on: 02 April, 2008, 12:40:01 pm »
For those who have trouble keeping ourselves sleek.

My new summer resolution is to put on weight, hopefully to at least 72kg. I'm going to drink more beer (instead of wine), for the extra calories. I'll cut down on coffee and sugar, and up the nuts and salad.

The main hassle is finding a suitable source of fats. The doc says my cholesterol is starting to go up (ta, biological clock, you can just sod off please), so I have to cut down the dairy.  >:(

Have you tried a large amount of carbs at bedtime?  For example 1/2 a pint of fruit smoothie and several rice cakes would be pretty much zero fat but would cause an insulin response and you'd add body fat

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #21 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:08:51 pm »
We buy our 9 bars from Suma by the box - they are wheat free, so very handy for me.

Does the desire to be wheat-free imply some gluten intolerance? If so you may be ill-advised to drink beer: certainly a coeliac friend of mine has had to cut it out entirely, with devastating lifestyle consequences. Though he's looking rather healthier than he used to.
Not especially helpful or mature