Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 107866 times)

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #575 on: 15 May, 2017, 12:31:54 am »
Pleasant to see good presence of participants
from East Anglia during the event. Much preferred the rainfall and mild night temperatures in Llanberis compared with last year dry chilly night air. Only managed 30 minute short nap at Kings YHA but still had a good time during the ride. Thanks to Ritchie and all helpers in providing efficient service and good menu choices at controls  :thumbsup:
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #576 on: 15 May, 2017, 07:15:32 am »
Excellent vegetable cous cous at King's I must say, thank you to all the volunteers again this year. Very satisfying to finish the ride although very mentally draining after Newtown climbing up there and that 100km section to Llandrindod Wells. Here is my video of the event https://youtu.be/bQeoid7Lb80

« Reply #577 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:16:39 am »
Nice video. Thanks for sharing. Well done on your ride.

« Reply #578 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:32:44 am »
Yes, thanks Adam, excellent. And interesting to see what Menai Bridge looks like in daylight!

« Reply #579 on: 15 May, 2017, 12:39:11 pm »
It was nice to ride this again after a few years.  I quite like the revised route.

simonp

« Reply #580 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:03:17 pm »
It was very different on the way back. I had issues on the way north with unclipping when pulling up on the pedals, so walked some hills I might've been able to get up on the Staylittle road. Didn't eat enough at the first two controls due to queues; I paid for this later.

I'm now only one 400k ride away from Ultra.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #581 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:32:57 pm »
It was very different on the way back. I had issues on the way north with unclipping when pulling up on the pedals, so walked some hills I might've been able to get up on the Staylittle road. Didn't eat enough at the first two controls due to queues; I paid for this later.

Having spoken to you up on the hills after Menai and then at Kings, I admire the fact that you carried on and finished - a reminder that completing  these long distance rides is as much about what goes on in your head as what strength you have in your legs.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #582 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:33:07 pm »
Thats another memorable BCM, mixed weather but by and large not too bad at all, finding a duckling at the end of Barmouth bridge with no obvious mother to reunite it, unable to catch it either so my partner in crime and I left it. We took the detour through the Hafren forest and enjoyed the quiet lanes and spotted an Osprey's nest atop a tall pole put there by the RSPB or some such organisation.
ANyone know how long the climb out of Newtown is (On the main road) it seemed to go on forever, not steep but on this occation a rather engery sapping headwind made it more difficult.
Mach mountain road, as per usual didn't disapoint that view is stunning it really is!  :thumbsup:

I had a pretty tough over night period I had the dozies not helped by a heavy week at work so had arrived at the event tired before I had even begun, however a couple of pro plus and a bite to eat sorted me out and by the time I had arrived at Kings for the second time I didn't feel too bad.

Rather than try for a bunk I used my bivvy bag and curled up for an hour in the bag drop room, even the loud snoring didn't prevent me from having some sleep.

The feature on the way back was the wind, although it didn't seem much of a hindrance after Llandrindod Wells I was glad to get over the Col du Alpaca and could see the towers of the Severn Bridge lit up by the sun.

Eddington Number 75

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #583 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:40:14 pm »
ANyone know how long the climb out of Newtown is (On the main road) it seemed to go on forever, not steep but on this occation a rather engery sapping headwind made it more difficult.

13km according to my Garmin. I was a bit disappointed at the top to discover that there was no corresponding 13km descent  :'(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

simonp

« Reply #584 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:47:11 pm »
Most strange - I got a Strava PR on the Shirenewton climb.

« Reply #585 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:52:40 pm »
What a ride. 
The scenery in the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia is stunning worth the climbing!! The descents were amazing especially Dylife down to Machynlleth and Pen-Y-Pass to Llanberis, on this descent Garmin showed 80kph at one point.
What a way to complete a second consecutive SR.

« Reply #586 on: 15 May, 2017, 03:54:58 pm »
I must be getting old - my maximum was only 73kph.
But happy to finish - unlike two(?) poor chaps for whom the ride ended in trips to A&E following problems on descents.

simonp

« Reply #587 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:00:52 pm »
My maximum was only 67kph.

That's 210 rpm.

« Reply #588 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:22:47 pm »
210rpm is lunacy!!!!  Massive kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #589 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:52:57 pm »
My maximum was only 67kph.

That's 210 rpm.

Teehee!  That's an impressive ride, Mr P.

I didn't have the best of starts, having overslept in Chepstow.  I got the the start at about 6.  Everyone left while I was having tea and a welsh cake.  Then I realised that I'd left vital stuff in the car, so had to go back down to the town to retrieve it.  It was near Builth that I first caught up with anyone.

simonp

« Reply #590 on: 15 May, 2017, 05:48:12 pm »
I've been told we're doing seat racing for Monmouth Regatta tomorrow. With 600km in my legs. Guess you'll be getting an entry for the Old Road 300k after all.  :facepalm:

« Reply #591 on: 15 May, 2017, 06:15:08 pm »
I've been told we're doing seat racing for Monmouth Regatta tomorrow. With 600km in my legs. Guess you'll be getting an entry for the Old Road 300k after all.  :facepalm:

I shan't insist you ride fixed.  Though, of course, should you wish to...

simonp

« Reply #592 on: 15 May, 2017, 08:48:53 pm »
I just remembered the buzzard that swooped low over the road ahead of me after Rhayader. Beautiful. I kept poking over my shoulder for a while after that.

« Reply #593 on: 16 May, 2017, 10:20:04 am »

Having spoken to you up on the hills after Menai and then at Kings, I admire the fact that you carried on and finished - a reminder that completing  these long distance rides is as much about what goes on in your head as what strength you have in your legs.

Amen to that. I was ok on this one and it being my first non-flat(lands) 600 I was a bit surprised by that. I expected to be a little more, umm, negative but was fine. I was concentrating on good mental management as much as food and was consciously catching myself at moments where my mood threatened to dip and talked myself back into a good frame of mind quickly. Strangely singing songs internally (not out loud) really helped and also preserved the ears of fellow travelers.

And well done RL  8)

Amazing volunteers and I got no weird looks at all when asking for GF options, very very much appreciated!

« Reply #594 on: 16 May, 2017, 11:15:08 am »
I just remembered the buzzard that swooped low over the road ahead of me after Rhayader. Beautiful. I kept poking over my shoulder for a while after that.

Well... that's a good omen for a completely different event.

simonp

« Reply #595 on: 16 May, 2017, 11:52:15 am »
Poking?  ::-)

« Reply #596 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »
Poking?  ::-)
...a Buzzard; or an Exe-Buzzard.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #597 on: 16 May, 2017, 01:08:55 pm »
(it was more than likely a Red Kite in that area, but that would ruin this bit of the thread, so I shan't point it out ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #598 on: 16 May, 2017, 01:14:53 pm »
It was definitely a vulture that was following me as I crawled up the last few climbs on last year's BCM
Eddington Number = 132

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #599 on: 16 May, 2017, 02:29:19 pm »
(it was more than likely a Red Kite in that area, but that would ruin this bit of the thread, so I shan't point it out ... )
There could have been a peacock around too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.