Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 107872 times)

simonp

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #600 on: 16 May, 2017, 02:56:06 pm »
I preferred to think the Holsworthy Buzzard was reincarnated.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #601 on: 16 May, 2017, 03:05:48 pm »
This one?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3828903.stm
According to the RSPB, buzzards occasionally live up to 25 years in the wild, so that one could even still be around!
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/b/buzzard/nesting.aspx
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #602 on: 16 May, 2017, 03:43:02 pm »
No.  It got fed-up with runners and cyclists and and dive-bombed a van.

simonp

« Reply #603 on: 16 May, 2017, 10:05:15 pm »
I've been told we're doing seat racing for Monmouth Regatta tomorrow. With 600km in my legs. Guess you'll be getting an entry for the Old Road 300k after all.  :facepalm:

I shan't insist you ride fixed.  Though, of course, should you wish to...

Amazingly I did ok and made the cut. It would be bad form to ride a 300k the day before a regatta so I will have to leave this til some other time (guess I'm not quitting Audax after all).

« Reply #604 on: 17 May, 2017, 10:33:44 pm »
Thanks to Ritchie and all the team. This is a wonderfully well organised event, with a challenging and scenic route, to beat all others. I can't recommend it enough!
I had a really bad attack of the dozies from 8pm onwards and tried to fight these off with a nap at Bedgellert, Menai and some bus shelters and even a phone box. By the time I got back to Dolgellau, although I still had plenty of time, I had lost the desire to carry on and decided to catch the train back to Abergavenny. After a couple of days of recovery I really regret my decision. I should have remembered all those other times when I have felt the same and then felt so much better once the day brightened up. I have nearly sorted out the appetite problems that have plagued my longer audax rides. I just need to sort out this sleeping thing!

I took a few pictures.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskVFxDzA

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #605 on: 18 May, 2017, 09:33:55 am »

I took a few pictures.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskVFxDzA

Some great shots there, Tim, and it was good to meet you.  I'm not sure about the one of the ugly fat bloke sticking his tongue out, though. (I don't even recall seeing you take it) The rear view was arguably more attractive  ;).  Sorry to hear that you packed, but the ride will still be there next year and you can enjoy the delights of the Newtown-Llandrindod road then.

Incidentally, does anyone know who puts out the "go go go" sign near Corris? Thre's been a variation on it every time I've done the ride and it's always brought a smile.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #606 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:17:05 am »
The "go go go" sign has been put up by Ray Robinson or his wife if he's riding. They live nearby. Always good to see the sign.

« Reply #607 on: 18 May, 2017, 12:36:43 pm »
This message was prepared by Ritchie Tout following an incident on the Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 k event May 2017.  If you're riding one, please check it out.  Note there is also a reference to a TREK headset at the end.  This was a separate incident.

"Advice re Specialized headshocks

I thought it was worth posting a note about an incident on last weekend’s BCM.  A rider discovered that her Specialized Ruby bike with a suspension system within the steerer meant that the steerer was not part of the fork.

The design is that the steerer slots into the fork crown and is held in place with a collar.  This collar is very thin and secured with a 4mm allen headed bolt.  All of this is hidden by a plastic cover with the allen bolt being accessed through the side of this.

It looks like it vibrated loose on the ride up to King’s but when she got there the bars no longer turned the fork. 

I have contacted Specialized but have not had a reply from them yet.  However, it is worth being aware of this problem as it is a system which is unique to Specialized and it is not obvious how it works – at least it wasn’t to us to start off with as nobody considered the possibility that the steerer column was not part of the fork.

I wonder whether AUK should keep a repository of incidents of this kind?  Had this rider crashed, I suspect anyone would have thought that the crash was what caused the loose steerer.

We also had a catastrophic failure of a Trek headset bearing.  The headset arrangement looked very flimsy in view of the forces transmitted through the headset bearings but it just splintered into several bits and left the bike unrideable."

If you have one of these - do check it.  It may be a one - off or possibly more widespread, so collecting data is handy...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #608 on: 21 May, 2017, 12:19:41 pm »
I always like reading about the BCM since the prospects of me ever having the fitness, determination or quantities of Sundocrem required to ride across Wales and back are right up there with me winning the Tour de France.  Chapeau!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #609 on: 21 May, 2017, 06:10:30 pm »
I always like reading about the BCM since the prospects of me ever having the fitness, determination or quantities of Sundocrem required to ride across Wales and back are right up there with me winning the Tour de France.  Chapeau!

I thought that for years and then I did it! It's definitely not as hard as winning le tour!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #610 on: 01 June, 2017, 08:36:18 pm »
Are results from the event waiting for brevet cards to return from France?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

cgg

« Reply #611 on: 07 June, 2017, 11:23:45 pm »
Good evening, I finally got my disposable camera of the moment processed, so here are a few pictures. I Hope you enjoy them :)

An occasion to thank again Ritchie and the team for making this happen. This was my first 600 and what a ride it was!

(I'm also wondering if I should worry that it is not appearing yet in my results on aukweb.net)

« Reply #612 on: 08 June, 2017, 12:06:46 am »
Don't worry about the results.  They'll appear in due course.  There's a lot of checking of receipts and cards for Ritchie and Clare to do (the team went home long ago).

« Reply #613 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:37:07 pm »
Finally got around to scribing this one... a view from the rear of the field :-)

https://audaxery.wordpress.com/2017/06/13/bryan-chapman-was-a-nice-man-who-must-have-liked-hills-a-lot/

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #614 on: 14 June, 2017, 12:15:46 am »
A very good account of your 1st BCM experience Al, and I thought yourself and Jonathan equipped well with the energy management.

My hamster impression at the 1st control in Bronllys appeared to have paid off on the hills, having an energy crash would be my worst fear on a lumpy terrain.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #615 on: 14 June, 2017, 09:59:12 am »
Well many thanks to you for the even pacing and even temper, both much needed ;-)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #616 on: 14 June, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
Good stuff!  I remember seeing those guys coming back during the stretch when I was riding with you all and thinking: "how do they do that?".

I was sorry to see you all go when I stopped to get water in Beddgelert.  I could see the three of you up ahead for quite a large part of the climb but I wasn't quite energetic enough to bridge the gap. Then, at the top, I didn't want to stop and start getting cold so carried on while you were all doing your Clark Kent routines in the shelter.  You should have stayed a bit longer at the Menai control - by the time I left the rain had pretty much stopped and I had a lovely dry ride back to Kings  ;) ;) :smug:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #617 on: 29 June, 2017, 05:59:09 pm »
Good evening, I finally got my disposable camera of the moment processed, so here are a few pictures. I Hope you enjoy them :)

An occasion to thank again Ritchie and the team for making this happen. This was my first 600 and what a ride it was!

(I'm also wondering if I should worry that it is not appearing yet in my results on aukweb.net)
Results are up now. With the ACP number too.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

cgg

« Reply #618 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:00:12 am »
Indeed they are! Thanks for the heads-up!