Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939843 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8950 on: 17 May, 2020, 04:06:01 pm »
The Matrix sequels are just something that Adam Savage made up to pad his CV.  Trufax.
Urban legend has it that they were needed to pay for Larry's op.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8951 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:47:52 pm »
“What We Do In The Shadows”, the original Kiwi version. Thoroughly enjoyable.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8952 on: 20 May, 2020, 06:11:21 am »
Pulp Fiction, my wife had never seen it
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8953 on: 23 May, 2020, 09:50:06 pm »
Thor Ragnarok

Brilliant. So very very funny. There must have been so much I either missed or didn't appreciate first time round.

Cate Blanchett is great. So is Jeff Goldblum.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8954 on: 25 May, 2020, 08:24:22 am »
I must admit that the way they have twisted Norse mythology really irks me.

ian

« Reply #8955 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:40:32 am »
It's not real you know, Jacob.

I loved Ragnarok, definitely duking it out the GoGT as my favourite.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8956 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:04:58 am »
Oceans Thirteen (or it might have been 14).

You know what is going to happen. Then it happens, and there are a few jokes. It’s nice seeing the Fountains of Fallatio again though.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8957 on: 26 May, 2020, 02:36:23 pm »
Paddington. I enjoyed it. We might watch Paddington 2 sometime.
I know I read at least some of the books when I was little but I can't remember anything about them.

fuzzy

« Reply #8958 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:48:34 pm »
Driven- dramatisation of the downfall of John DeLorean.

I found it to be a really good film. Don't know what level of accuracy though.

Still a beautiful car.

« Reply #8959 on: 05 June, 2020, 08:46:16 am »
The Drop for the fourth time.
Wonderful acting between the two main characters and a British rather than American 'tone' to the making of the film.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #8960 on: 05 June, 2020, 09:32:57 pm »
Driven- dramatisation of the downfall of John DeLorean.

I found it to be a really good film. Don't know what level of accuracy though.

Still a beautiful car.
Seconded, both the film and the car.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #8961 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:10:05 pm »
Ready Player One. Having read the book myself a year or so ago. And my partner having not.

And we both liked it. Not a great film (or book) by any stretch but surely enjoyable enough.

And yeah, all the 80s references are very in your face but that's part of what it's about so it's odd that that's what people complain about. :shrug:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #8962 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:51:01 am »
I read the book once and agreed with your assessment ;D

ian

« Reply #8963 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:49:09 pm »
Ready Player One. Having read the book myself a year or so ago. And my partner having not.

And we both liked it. Not a great film (or book) by any stretch but surely enjoyable enough.

And yeah, all the 80s references are very in your face but that's part of what it's about so it's odd that that's what people complain about. :shrug:

Some people are a bit odd. A movie that's about 80s pop culture is filled with 80s pop culture references. Who knew. That said, they'd probably watch p0rn and complain that it's full of nudity.

« Reply #8964 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:12:19 pm »
Probably. We got about half way through Wolf of Wall Street last night and gave up at the lack of story-line, and the constant everything else. We watched Gremlins instead. That was much better ;D :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #8965 on: 07 June, 2020, 02:35:36 pm »
Keen to wrap up the last leg of the MCU marathon so have had a couple of days of proper bingeing...

Black Panther - very enjoyable the second time round. And possibly even more relevant now than it was when it first came out.

Infinity War - much better than I was expecting, but still a sprawling mess that feels a bit weighed down by too many storylines. Good fighty stuff, though, and properly laugh out loud funny at times - especially the bits involving Thor and the Guardians (yes, ian, you were right about that). I think I've become more invested in the whole MCU thing than I would care to admit, because I felt genuinely upset by the ending - albeit mitigated by the sense that Dr Strange has a plan up his wizard's sleeve... and knowing that there are/will be subsequent films involving these characters.
(click to show/hide)

Ant-Man and The Wasp - so much fun. Perfect antidote to Infinity War, not least for the way it scales it down to much smaller stakes. I laughed a lot - especially at the truth serum scenes. Great fights and car chases too.
(click to show/hide)

Will do Captain Marvel later, maybe Endgame as well, and possibly even Far From Home if I have the energy... well, I've got a few days off work so don't have to get up tomorrow, so why not?

« Reply #8966 on: 07 June, 2020, 05:32:22 pm »
We finally got our copy of ‘Best In Show’ back from the neighbours and we watched it again last night. Still highly excellent. ‘... hazel nuts, pine nuts, macadamia nuts ...’ :-)

fuzzy

« Reply #8967 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:40:35 pm »
The dead Don't Die A tongue in cheek take on the zombie apocolypse.

lots of little, easy to miss details to make you chuckle.

This unit recommends it.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #8968 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:53:50 pm »
“What We Do In The Shadows”, the original Kiwi version. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Just watched it tonight- thought I'd better get round to seeing the film and series one of the TV version, what with series two about to start. Jolly good indeed.

SiD

• I prefer a loose Kenyan…
    • Lap the Lough
« Reply #8969 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:29:16 pm »
I recently watch Le Samouraï with Alain Delon
Been meaning to watch it for ages and finally found it on YouTube and clicked through.

Apart from one fight scene it was appalling - I couldn't make nor head nor tail of it.
It bore no resemblance to the plot I'd read about. "Typical French New Wave shite…" I thought.
Sat through it until the credits - I then realised I had watched the wrong film - turns out I watched a film called "Jeff" with Alain Delon.
Don't be a dick. Don't watch Jeff.

citoyen

« Reply #8970 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:47:18 pm »
Sat through it until the credits - I then realised I had watched the wrong film - turns out I watched a film called "Jeff" with Alain Delon.
Don't be a dick. Don't watch Jeff.

;D

Was confused for a minute there - Le Samouraï really is a great film.

citoyen

« Reply #8971 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:12:55 am »
Captain Marvel - Wonderful, really enjoyed this one immensely. Was a bit puzzled at first, thinking, "Eh? Weren't the Kree the bad guys in that other film?" but then it all fell into place... Top marks for a proper Girl Power story that didn't feel at all like a box-ticking exercise. And I'm never going to trust another cat ever again.

Endgame - Underwhelmed. Just as part of the reason Ant-Man is good is because the stakes are relatively low, Endgame is bad because the stakes are waaaaaay too high. And then it all works out OK thanks to Tony Stark inventing a high-tech device for jumping over sharks, with a proper Lord of the Rings battle at the end. Meh.

« Reply #8972 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:16:43 am »
The Last Samurai

ian

« Reply #8973 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:32:07 am »
Captain Marvel - Wonderful, really enjoyed this one immensely. Was a bit puzzled at first, thinking, "Eh? Weren't the Kree the bad guys in that other film?" but then it all fell into place... Top marks for a proper Girl Power story that didn't feel at all like a box-ticking exercise. And I'm never going to trust another cat ever again.

Endgame - Underwhelmed. Just as part of the reason Ant-Man is good is because the stakes are relatively low, Endgame is bad because the stakes are waaaaaay too high. And then it all works out OK thanks to Tony Stark inventing a high-tech device for jumping over sharks, with a proper Lord of the Rings battle at the end. Meh.

Oh, I liked Endgame, it was always going to teeter on the pinnacle of high expectation and as battles go, it was pretty awesome. And even if you saw it coming, the Captain America ending was nice. Both Infinity War and Endgame could and should have been a mess of competing characters and storylines, so I think somehow giving it any sense of order is a feat. And there really had to a be shark hurdle to make it all work, unless they were going to stay dead.

I hope you enjoyed the gesture comedy in Captain Marvel, her 'oh really's are perfect. I loved Antman and the Wasp too, though the best bits are Michael Peña's extemporisations.

citoyen

« Reply #8974 on: 08 June, 2020, 11:08:59 am »
And there really had to a be shark hurdle to make it all work, unless they were going to stay dead.

That's the fundamental problem with the film - and it's a problem they gave themselves to deal with by making Thanos too powerful. I tend to think that any storyline that requires time travel and/or bringing back characters from the dead to achieve a satisfactory ending is a failure. (NB the best Doctor Who stories don't generally rely on time travel as a plot device.)

Also - and I've said this before about other films/TV series - I'm one of those people for whom massive battle scenes really do nothing at all. I find them spectacularly boring.

But yes, the Captain America ending was nice. Probably one of the best things about the film, tbh.

I hope you enjoyed the gesture comedy in Captain Marvel, her 'oh really's are perfect. I loved Antman and the Wasp too, though the best bits are Michael Peña's extemporisations.

Brie Larson is superb. I don't recall ever seeing her in anything before, but she is really very very good, so I shall keep an eye out for her in other things. Although, imdb tells me she was in Kong: Skull Island, which I also enjoyed. I just don't remember her in that for some reason. Several other MCU stalwarts in that as well.

And yes, Michael Peña's answer to the question "Where is Scott Lang?" properly had me in stitches.