Author Topic: Cavendish to retire soon?  (Read 38239 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Cavendish to retire soon?
« Reply #125 on: 10 July, 2021, 01:56:11 pm »
It's well known that Bennet is leaving Quickstep - it was announced a few weeks before the tour.

I didn’t realise that was confirmed, the announcement had passed me by. Interesting!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #126 on: 10 July, 2021, 04:59:05 pm »
It's well known that Bennet is leaving Quickstep ....
Hmm.  Wonder if that had any additional bearing on the decision to select Cav. rather than Bennett?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #127 on: 10 July, 2021, 05:19:45 pm »
Wasn't Bennett injured (I'm not super sure)?

« Reply #128 on: 10 July, 2021, 05:25:09 pm »
It's well known that Bennet is leaving Quickstep - it was announced a few weeks before the tour.

I didn’t realise that was confirmed, the announcement had passed me by. Interesting!

Patrick Lefevere confirmed that Bennett was leaving DQS on May 9:

Sam Bennett will leave the Deceuninck-QuickStep team at the end of the 2021 season, team manager Patrick Lefevere has revealed, as the Belgian team prepares to change its lead sprinter yet again apparently after opting not to match significant offers from rivals teams.

According to well-informed La Gazzetta dello Sport journalist Ciro Scognamiglio, Bennett could return to Bora-Hansgrohe, where he raced between 2014-2019. The Irishman would fill the sprinter’s slot of Pascal Ackermann, who could in turn, move to UAE Team Emirates. Peter Sagan is widely expected to leave Bora-Hansgrohe and has been linked to Deceuninck-QuickStep, but the loss of Bennett could leave the team without a big-name pure sprinter.

Under UCI rules riders and teams are not allowed to announce new signings until August 1. However, Lefevere has kicked off the transfer season by revealing that Bennett will leave Deceuninck-QuickStep. Lefevere has already said that João Almeida will also leave despite the Portuguese rider co-leading the team at the Giro d’Italia.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-to-leave-deceuninck-quickstep-at-end-of-2021-season/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #129 on: 10 July, 2021, 05:33:25 pm »
Cheers!

« Reply #130 on: 10 July, 2021, 05:36:01 pm »
Wasn't Bennett injured (I'm not super sure)?

Hmm.  Wonder if that had any additional bearing on the decision to select Cav. rather than Bennett?

Bennett banged his knee on the handlebars while training, but it seems that there's a difference of opinion between him and Patrick Lefevere about the severity of the injury...

<truffles through Cycling news archives>

Here's the piece I read a little while back:

After the selection of the Deceuninck-Quickstep squad for the 2021 Tour de France and the surprise replacement of last year's green jersey winner Sam Bennett with Mark Cavendish, the Belgian team's manager has called into question the severity of the Irishman's knee injury.

Bennett hit his knee on the handlebars while training and sat out the Baloise Belgium Tour due to the pain. Cavendish stepped in for him in that race, winning the final stage in Beringen. However, it was widely anticipated that Bennett would be back in shape for the Tour de France until Monday's announcement.

Lefevere expressed some resentment that Bennett was not in the Tour team, telling Sporza: "I can't prove he doesn't have knee pain, but I'm starting to think more and more that it's more fear of failure than just pain."

The Belgian also told Het Laatste Nieuws: "We thought Bennett was on the right track. Then it turns out that he has told us anything but the truth. He said three different things to three different people on the squad. That's not the way it's played.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-cast-doubts-on-the-severity-of-sam-bennetts-knee-issue/

Referring back to the article on Bennett's departure, it's ostensibly because other teams are willing to pay more than Lefevere, but another article also suggests that the relationship between the Irish sprinter and the DQS team boss has broken down:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-threatens-to-bench-sam-bennett-from-races-and-dock-his-pay-unless-he-behaves/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #131 on: 10 July, 2021, 06:31:41 pm »
Quote from: spesh
Quote from: TheLurker
Quote from: DuncanM

Bennett banged his knee on the handlebars while training, but it seems that there's a difference of opinion between him and Patrick Lefevere about the severity of the injury...

<truffles through Cycling news archives>

Zigackly.  That's the sort of thing I had in mind. The injury line is being used as a way of saving face by both sides.  Lefevere has a choice between Bennett who may, or may not, be up to riding the tour physically but is no longer committed to the team and Cavendish who *is* driven and committed to the team and has shown he's in good form in other races.  Looked at that way I don't think it would have been an especially hard decision to make.  Risky, yes, but not difficult and "Bennett was injured" provides cover if Cav. didn't deliver.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #132 on: 17 September, 2021, 04:34:14 pm »
Cheque arrived today. I'll bank it on Monday.
The non-sequitur thread is… not here.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #133 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:43:47 am »
It seems that Patrick and Mark have agreed a deal for Mark to ride next year for the team. Interestingly, the only area still being discussed is Mark’s potential role within the team afterwards.
I think that Mark is at his happiest when involved in bike races, so a future as a DS or a sprint coach might be something he’s thinking of.

« Reply #134 on: 22 November, 2021, 11:41:37 am »
We'll have to see how he recovers from his Madison crash at Ghent. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/59374143  :o. I have no doubt he has come back from worse but recovery tends to take longer the older you are. Though there is no talk of retirement at the moment.

« Reply #135 on: 22 November, 2021, 12:34:13 pm »
He's got a book coming out this week

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #137 on: 22 November, 2021, 03:48:45 pm »
Apparently in ICU and hoping for discharge tomorrow. What a year. Recovering well, and hopefully easier to shrug off than many of his previous traumas.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #138 on: 22 November, 2021, 04:31:56 pm »
Two broken ribs and a collapsed lung apparently.

« Reply #139 on: 07 December, 2021, 05:34:37 pm »
And he re-signs to Quickstep (I think Deceunink have gone to Alpecin) for another year  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #140 on: 07 December, 2021, 07:21:25 pm »
He’s ( or more probably his agent) has agreed terms for next year. There’s still a discussion about post-racing opportunities.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #141 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:21:51 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/08/mark-cavendish-assaulted-by-armed-burglars-during-raid-on-home

This is probably as good a place as any to put this. Utterly horrific for Cav and his family.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #142 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:25:16 pm »
Yes, very sad to read this.

The request for any information about the incident mentions Ongar, has he moved?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #143 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:35:38 pm »
He has places in “Essex”, the Isle of Man and Italy, according to Wikinaccurate during the Tour this summer.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #144 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »
I understand that his wife is from Essex and he trains here a lot. See the Blue Egg farm shop/café where some if his jerseys are on the wall, and he turned up for lunch about 10 minutes after I did on one occasion a few years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #145 on: 18 December, 2021, 01:11:03 pm »
Cav is now featuring on Zwift ads on youtube. MrsH commented that he isn't normally all smiley as he rides. My response was that he knows he can't hit the deck on Zwift  :)

« Reply #146 on: 18 December, 2021, 07:40:33 pm »
My response was that he knows he can't hit the deck on Zwift  :)

I bet G could manage it...

« Reply #147 on: 18 December, 2021, 07:54:49 pm »
Cav has/had a house out Ongar way, I knew his neighbours gardener and he came into where I worked at the time

felstedrider

« Reply #148 on: 18 December, 2021, 08:31:29 pm »
Cav has/had a house out Ongar way, I knew his neighbours gardener and he came into where I worked at the time

Stanford Rivers.   Finance Director at my old shop lived down the road.

« Reply #149 on: 11 February, 2022, 01:40:26 pm »
Rust never sleeps