Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 123408 times)

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #675 on: 21 August, 2020, 11:38:33 am »
New shiny gigaclear into the house, probably the first person in the street.

300mb both ways*, tests out as well.

Very nice.

* i did not pay the extra for the 900mb service that would just be silly.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #676 on: 22 September, 2020, 12:34:39 pm »
Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months

:o Hard to believe that a dodgy electrical item could have such a widespread effect.  Needless to say, Openreach covered themselves in glory, taking 18 months to get to the bottom of the issue.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #677 on: 22 September, 2020, 02:24:01 pm »
Just got ping 68ms, 15.8 down and 17.9 up on the 4g router. BT is usually much faster down and a bit faster up, with 10-12ms ping.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #678 on: 08 March, 2021, 03:11:21 pm »
Is it worth spending £7 a month to get faster broadband speed when:

Current FTTP with BT 74Mb Download speed/20MbUpload speed (actual tested a moment ago 68Mb/19Mb)

^ this costs £35.45 per month. It's great, reliable and works a treat. I let my neighbours downstairs connect too cos they is young, broke and nice. Neither of us are mad streamerds

BT are offering 150Mb Download speed/30Mb Upload speed for £7 more (again a 24 month contract - my current 74/20 @£35.45 per month contract has a smidge over year to go)

Does anyone think this might improve my life? Or am I just caught up in BIGGER NUMBERS = FANTASY SATISFACTION?

ps there seems to be very few other Broadband providers who will or can connect up with the BT FTTP I have!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #679 on: 08 March, 2021, 05:17:42 pm »
Mostly it comes down to whether you care about the extra upstream.  If you're asking the question, you probably don't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #680 on: 08 March, 2021, 05:23:20 pm »
Just got ping 68ms, 15.8 down and 17.9 up on the 4g router. BT is usually much faster down and a bit faster up, with 10-12ms ping.

This is about the same as I'm getting via Three LTE: 13-16Mb down, 22Mb up, RTT in the 50-60ms range (the latency spikes at busy times due to congestion).  More than sufficient for a backup connection.

The VDSL gets 70-80Mb down, 20Mb up and about 10ms round trip, unless the DLM has decided to do interleaving (as it did last week, because I unplugged the modem too many times), in which case it's about 19ms.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #681 on: 08 March, 2021, 10:24:22 pm »
Had to resolve Internet Connection speed issues at Feanor Outposts in Edinburgh at the weekend.

Junior had been complaining about very poor speeds, but the VDSL should be good for 75 down 20 up, which it was when it was installed.
And upon inspection, he was getting <1 down on the MS Surface tablet thing.

Wired connection to another device gave a solid 75 down, so a WiFi issue.
It's a dual-band 2.4 / 5 router, and it was using the 5GHz band.
But so was my tablet with no issues.

Downloaded a WiFi analyser, and its showing almost homeopathic signal levels on 5Ghz, but strong on 2.4.

Shut down the 5GHz on the router, forcing a re-connect to the same SSID at 2.4 and sanity is restored.
I think the issue is with the 5GHz radio on the tablet, and I should probably force it to 2.4 if that option exists.
But in the meantime, 5GHz is shut down on the router, and complaints have ceased.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #682 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:40:01 am »
Was the tablet in the same room as the router?
5Ghz doesn't reach as far as 2Ghz, nor is it as good at going through walls. It is a lot quicker when the signal is clear though.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #683 on: 12 March, 2021, 12:04:41 pm »
That ^^^^ might explain the dropouts and munged sound I've been having with Streamyard on a fondleslab, as I've been about as far away from the router as it’s possible to be while still being in the same building.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #684 on: 03 April, 2021, 06:55:38 pm »
Just today, I got 248 MB down.

4G.

Who needs a 5G vaccination...?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #685 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:49:59 am »
 PING ms
 DOWNLOAD Mbps
 UPLOAD Mbps

They recently dug up our drive to replace a cable or something.  Talktalk.  It is time we had a conversation..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #686 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:02:05 pm »
Talktalk can’t offer anything faster. BT are willing to install fibre f.o.c. giving us 50mbps/10mbps for £1 pm cheaper than Talktalk. We can also keep our landline FWIW. We transfer to BT in a couple of weeks.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Afasoas

« Reply #687 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:04:25 pm »
A few weeks ago I noticed we didn't have a dial tone on the copper pair.

Did a speed test and results were ~25Mb/s [dl], 4Mb/s [ul].
That's about a third down from when they were after the vDSL was installed.

Support ticket raised.

Today I got a few alerts from the monitoring about the dSL flapping. The dial tone was back. And a quick speed test shows that things are back to normal:
~37Mb/s [dl], ~7Mb/s [ul].

Be nice to know what was fixed.

The nice thing about the vDSL is that the leased line for the office is only 3 hops away. And latency is ~15ms. I should really use it more. The other line is VM, which most of the staff use. Eating the same dogfood means I can get a few precious seconds to prepare myself for the barage of complaints when there is a peering issue with VM.

VM is about 19 hops away from the office and latency hovers around 29ms. It's much more variable too.

Morat

« Reply #688 on: 22 April, 2021, 11:29:39 am »
According to samknows our ADSL gives us:

Latency
13.4 ms

Jitter
1.40 ms

Download
30.9 Mbps

Upload
6.75 Mbps

It's not very impressive for "superfast Fibre" ADSL but that's what you get for being on the edge of town :(
Current provider is EE but it's just rebranded BT and we jump ship whenever the introductory rate runs out.
I miss my WISP!

For contrast, my (EE 4G) mobile just gave:
Download 90.6, Upload 37.4, Latency 39.8ms. Strangely there's no Jitter measurement on the mobile version of Firefox.

Maybe it's time to look at a 4G dongle thing. We can see the mast from the front door (that's what you get for being on the edge of town) so I'm hoping it gets 5G this decade!

« Reply #689 on: 22 April, 2021, 02:20:46 pm »
We went with a 4g sim and router for church with a massive aerial.  About a metre square and massively improved the upload and download speeds. A friend living in the countryside is looking at the Starlink service.  He unfortunately missed the beta roll out but apparently it is going to roll out to anybody in the UK very soon.

Morat

« Reply #690 on: 28 April, 2021, 03:14:06 pm »
Starlink is an interesting option, especially for areas that are not well served by BT's Edwardian copper network.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #691 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:56:17 pm »
According to speedtest.net

Ping 23ms
51.14 Mbps download
9.28 Mbps upload

mr_brooks

« Reply #692 on: 29 April, 2021, 12:24:28 pm »
Speedtest

18ms ping
493 Mbps download
98 Mbps upload.

(Stockholm, Sweden - decent connections are the norm here)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #693 on: 29 April, 2021, 02:09:04 pm »
Speedtest:

2ms ping
248.25 Mbps download
223.52 Mbps upload(!)

Orange fibre.  To be honest, I expected better on the download side.  The upload speed strikes me as far too high, but who's complaining?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #694 on: 02 July, 2022, 02:54:13 pm »
After spotting a BT engineer screwing fibre to a nearby house[1], I've just booked 115/20 FTTP installation through AAISP.  This will replace our 80/20 VDSL (which gives us about 68/20).

Not so much because of the performance - which is already more than sufficient for our needs - but because it's £8/month cheaper - albeit with an installation cost that wipes out the savings for the first 12 months.  As shiny new infrastructure it ought to be more reliable, though our line's been pretty good in recent years.

[1] They've been working their way round adding fibre to the poles in the nearby streets over the last couple of months, but last time I looked it hadn't gone live for customers.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #695 on: 02 July, 2022, 03:05:11 pm »
(Makes note to check whether my A&A FTTP can be similarly speeded up)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #696 on: 20 July, 2022, 08:34:52 pm »

That'll do.  (Slightly lower than the raw line speed, due to traffic shaping at each end.)

Re-configuring and extending the cat5 cable to downstairs that was previously carrying DSL to carry gigabit Ethernet from the other side of the the room took a lot more fucking around than expected, due to a succession of bad crimps that turned out to be perfectly good crimps being tested in a cable tester with a dodgy socket.   :facepalm:

I need to obtain a donkey-knobbler to POE-ify the ONT so it keeps chooching if the mains pixies stop dancing.

Slightly unnerving not having modem stats to monitor...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #697 on: 20 July, 2022, 08:54:16 pm »
Nice.
FTTP remains a distant hope here in this particular corner of the Frozen North.

There are some small rural communities which have Done It Themselves, and got connected, but I don't know what hoops they jumped through to do that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #698 on: 21 July, 2022, 12:57:35 pm »
I need to obtain a donkey-knobbler to POE-ify the ONT so it keeps chooching if the mains pixies stop dancing.

Achievement unlocked.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HS4NT13/ for those playing along at home.

Has the additional advantage of sticking out less than the Openreach wall-wart did, which means it's slightly less likely to get bashed with the wheelchair ramp or recycling box.

The ONT itself is poorly secured to the wall by a pair of self-untapping screws not fully screwed down, straight into the plaster.  My spidey sense and the engineer's stud-finder were unconvinced that there wasn't a significant amount of mains wiring lurking below, but his insistence that it be installed right next to a mains socket overrode common sense.  I think I'll ignore it and hope it stays attached, and if it doesn't I'll bodge it with adhesive pad technology.

« Reply #699 on: 21 July, 2022, 01:41:24 pm »
Nice.
FTTP remains a distant hope here in this particular corner of the Frozen North.

There are some small rural communities which have Done It Themselves, and got connected, but I don't know what hoops they jumped through to do that.

Likewise we have no medium term prospect of BT FTTP, although I guess eventually everyone will get it if they live/wait long enough with BT wanting to do away with copper.  There is an independent supplier going to run fibre into our village but it'll be twice the price for the same speeds.  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)