Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514917 times)

I've just discovered that chocolate haggis is a thing. :o Unfortunately, it only seems to be stocked in Asda until Burns Night, and I'm not going to have time to get any.  :'(

I quite like Kimchi. To that end I bought a jar a while back, but it sat on the top shelf of the ‘fridge as I coulndy work out what to eat it with. Yesterday I finally opened it and had some with sardines on toast. It was rather insipid, despite being “product of South Korea”. Maybe having a BBE date of April 2023 was the cause.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Went to Beigel Bake in Brick Lane for my breakfast this morning.
Hot salt beef on rye with mustard and pickle, and a tea strong enough to stand a spoon in.
Nommity, nom nom nom.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I quite like Kimchi. To that end I bought a jar a while back, but it sat on the top shelf of the ‘fridge as I coulndy work out what to eat it with. Yesterday I finally opened it and had some with sardines on toast. It was rather insipid, despite being “product of South Korea”. Maybe having a BBE date of April 2023 was the cause.
A friend's works canteen do a kimchi and cheese toastie. I mention this as fact not recommendation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A friend's works canteen do a kimchi and cheese toastie. I mention this as fact not recommendation.

Cor! I'd go for that.

Kimchi pancakes are also good.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
Our local bakery do beef and kimchi sausage rolls. They're not bad.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Kimchi? Around here they have it on the hoof:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

My boss had something to eat from our works canteen the other day. He said it tasted awful and eventually caused him to throw up.
Later that day the canteen was closed and overnight was fumigated to deal with an infestation of cockroaches  :sick:
I'm happy to report that I bought a tuna sandwich from them when they first opened. It was shit. I've not eaten anything from there since.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I once found a deep-fried cockroach in the middle of my lunchtime chips.  I found it a lot funnier than the waitress did.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The Fortnum and Mason website doesn’t seem to load properly on Safari...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Do they carry cockroaches?

Do you like raisins? Do you like coffee? Serendipity led me to try raisins sprinkled with some expresso ground coffee. You will not look back, but you may not blame me for addiction.

Cor! I'd go for that.

Kimchi pancakes are also good.

I had mature cheddar and kimchi sandwiches for lunch, very nice. Also had kimchi as a side with scrambled egg. I can see a cheese and kimchi omelette in the future. And I’ll have some with the breaded fish and purple sprouting this evening, healthier than hollandaise.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Received a pot of Thai prawn paste in the post yesterday, tried it in a sauce at lunchtime.  It's one of those things that tastes good when you're eating it but stinks out the dishwasher afterwards.  I read since that it's made from krill these days, which is sub-optimal for baleine whales, so that's the last we'll buy.

In his novel King Rat, James Clavell mentions that prisoners in Changi made a substitute for prawn paste out of cockroaches.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
So I am making spaghetti garlic and oil.  Trying to decine to use either olive oil, butter or lard.

The spaghetti has been resting in the fridge for a day or two so that will be tossed in the pan to warm things up.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Butter. My pre-cycling breakfast is tagliatelle tossed in fake butter, lardons, raisins, salt and lots of pepper.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Butter. My pre-cycling breakfast is tagliatelle tossed in fake butter, lardons, raisins, salt and lots of pepper.

Raisins.....and margerine Yuck

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Raisins.....and margarine Yuck

Whaddaya expect, the real stuff with all that cholesterol-and-evilly-exploited-cattle baggage and no omega-3?  I should be so lucky.  And the raisins go very well with salty bacon - even better if you dust Parmesan over the top but that's not too digestible on the bike.

sam

I'm the furthest thing from a gourmand; quite willing, for example, to eat raw cake mix when the situation demands.* However, I really like this 25cm carbon steel non-stick wok I purchased yesterday. It's the perfect size for preparing my standard dinner of tofu with grilled veg & carb du jour.

*Something I used to do on occasion in my college days, to the horror of my eventually-to-be wife. How she's stuck it through with me this long I'll never know.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Good one for gyoza, mine clumps them all together.  I do have another with a bigger flat bit but it has two side handles that are great for burning yourself on.

I have an indian wok-shaped pan with handles on either side.

Mostly it gets used when camping if there will be a fire. The thin steel and width means that it soaks up all the heat from a little fire. Cooks very fast.

People have laughed when I pulled out this full-sized wok, then looked impressed as it rapidly cooked dinner.

I guess there is a reason why they are used in India
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Sounds like a 'tawa'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I have an indian wok-shaped pan with handles on either side.

Mostly it gets used when camping if there will be a fire. The thin steel and width means that it soaks up all the heat from a little fire. Cooks very fast.

People have laughed when I pulled out this full-sized wok, then looked impressed as it rapidly cooked dinner.

I guess there is a reason why they are used in India

I think that's why woks are that shape.  Works well on a portable gas ring too.

https://www.livpost.co.uk/p/nibbled-to-death-a-michelin-guide      a restaurant review from Liverpool.   It sounds like you'd want to go for a kebab on the way home, to fill up the corners.      I want good food, lots of it, cooked well & an enjoyable chat with friends.   I don't want a lecture on the origins of the stuff on my plate or the techniques used to curate it onto the plate. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

I've just had a parcel delivered from  https://www.fruitpig.co.uk   

Black pudding, haggis, pancetta & Guanciale  :P     I've had the black pud before.  Highly recommended. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark