Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514889 times)

sam

and don't forget a dash of psyllium husk
« Reply #5100 on: 24 February, 2024, 05:31:41 pm »

Possibly the wrong thread to post this, as I'm not sure this 'bread' qualifies as 'food'.

Been reading labels a long time. This is my first bamboo fibre. Or would've been if I'd bought it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
That will keep you going...

Please don't panda to him, oh sorry thr truly terrible jokes threads over there isn't it

Today I made a rather odd salad. Got one of those £1.50 fruit and veg boxes of damaged or nearly gone fruit and veg from lidl yesterday. Had 16 avocado's in it. Googled for something to do other then guacamole and came accross a avocado, melon, tomatoes and orange salad. All of which were also in the box. Was really nice and would probably have cost about 30 quid in a posh restaurant and as we had apples and potatoes as well in the  ox the salad worked out about 90p to make

sam

Were it not for the Xanthan to gum up the works.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Yesterday I ate hawthorn leaves, wild sorrel, and catkins. Hawthorn leaves, despite being called bread and cheese, taste soft and salady. Not at all like bread and cheese. Wild sorrel is just like domesticated sorrel (not sure I've ever seen this on sale in UK?), tangy, acid, clean. Catkins are dry, floury, just bitter enough to be slightly unpleasant but not enough to be interesting. Not a great eat, but the other two are recommended.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Were it not for the Xanthan to gum up the works.

If you stress the than a bit more than usual that's an alexandrine and my fevered brane is now desperately seeking a next line... berks irks jerks perks quirks shirks smirks Turks...

That ride yesterday was a bit harder than I expected.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

sam

Lurks
« Reply #5106 on: 26 February, 2024, 01:19:58 pm »
If you stress the than a bit more than usual that's an alexandrine and my fevered brane is now desperately seeking a next line... berks irks jerks perks quirks shirks smirks Turks...

Quote from: the usual
The foundation of most alexandrines consists of two hemistichs (half-lines) of six syllables each, separated by a caesura (a metrical pause or word break, which may or may not be realized as a stronger syntactic break):

o o o o o o | o o o o o o
o=any syllable; |=caesura

However, no tradition remains this simple.

A worthy challenge, but [checks watch] I've got to go on a ride now that's not going to ride itself.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Yesterday I ate hawthorn leaves, wild sorrel, and catkins. Hawthorn leaves, despite being called bread and cheese, taste soft and salady. Not at all like bread and cheese. Wild sorrel is just like domesticated sorrel (not sure I've ever seen this on sale in UK?), tangy, acid, clean. Catkins are dry, floury, just bitter enough to be slightly unpleasant but not enough to be interesting. Not a great eat, but the other two are recommended.

Interesting. I've had wild sorrel before but not hawthorn leaves or catkins. The latter feels like foraging for the sake of it.

George Egg was on the radio earlier talking about wild garlic, which is coming into season now. I know some good spots for that, must get out there soon.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm glad I tried the catkins but wouldn't try them again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

Interesting. I've had wild sorrel before but not hawthorn leaves or catkins. The latter feels like foraging for the sake of it.

George Egg was on the radio earlier talking about wild garlic, which is coming into season now. I know some good spots for that, must get out there soon.

The leaves are coming out, but it's better later in the season, I find, when it starts to flower and become more pungent.

I learned that wild garlic in the US ('ramps') isn't actually the same plant as our wild garlic.

There are two distinct varieties of wild garlic AFAIK. Most of the UK stuff seems to have quite large triangular leaves. The other has smaller flat leaves - we have the latter in our garden (“borrowed” from the large patch adjacent Drayton Beauchamp church) and I had the first of the season in an omelette yesterday.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

There are two distinct varieties of wild garlic AFAIK. Most of the UK stuff seems to have quite large triangular leaves. The other has smaller flat leaves - we have the latter in our garden (“borrowed” from the large patch adjacent Drayton Beauchamp church) and I had the first of the season in an omelette yesterday.

The narrow-leaved one is crow garlic (Allium vineale) whereas the broad-leaved wild garlic is Allium ursinum (bear leak, though now we don't have epicurean bears to munch them, ramsons) that is more commonly the kind that carpets woodlands in the spring. North American wild garlic is Allium tricoccum.

Don't muddle it with Lily of the Valley though, which often grows amongst wild garlic, and is very poisonous.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
I've double fished for lunch today - smoked salmon and kippers with poached eggs and a crisp side salad.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My great-grandfather, Aron Vecht (1854-1908), was a devout and observant Jew.
He filed a patent for the curing of BACON in New Zealand, in 1893...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury’s ‘Stamford Street’ (budget) soft cheese is just GORGEOUS!
Just had it on a crumpet with smoked salmon trimmings and my ‘bagels & lox’ was glorious!
Partner has just dicovered he likes smoked salmon & soft cheese, having eschewed these for ages.
I think he was ‘converted by an afternoon at the Polish Cultural Centre recently.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I'm very glad Jan doesn't like smoked salmon.  :demon:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The trimmings I had bought were surprisingly good smoked salmon.
We had these on toasted Sainsbury’s crumpets (45p for 6) so the total cost was not astronomical...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
MrsT and I are very fond of double-fried salt & pepper prawns, but the niff in the kitchen when you crawl down for breakfast next day would lay you flat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Partner & I bought his Dad a gift of Whittard Tea for Christmas 9 pretty boxes, each with 20 x 2.5g teabags for £30 £24 - not cheap but partner’s brother texted me last night, telling me how much Dad had enjoyed the tea so the gift was a hit.
Visited Mum yesterday. She had GORGEOUS gift pack of teas - 6 little boxes, each with William Morris designs, containing all of FOUR 1.5g bags. These are V&A souvenirs but available from John Lewis online: £14 for um... 36 grams of tea.

Wonderful packaging, beautiful presentation but puny product...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Mr Morrison's Chili Seasoning has a lot more bite than Mr Sainsbury’s.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
While Thai Dancer chilli sauce needs a hefty squirt of sriracha to have even the mildest nip.

The Shoap in Islington featured on Radio Scotlands Breaking the News yesterday. It is a new place which brings Scottish food like Lorne sausage to That London.
Breaking the News joked that they are bringing the Scottish experience to Londoners by refusing to accept their money.

I got there around 2pm and they had already run out of food...  The place was a cafe style rather than a deli, and full of yoof chattering. Tap for Tennents Lager on the counter, however I am not a fan.

I may give it another try, but on a weekday.

https://www.auldhag.co.uk/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Poxy (and poncey) pasta machine is playing up, resulting in the pasta dough going round and round the roller rather than coming out the other side thinner than when it went in. Coarse Language was heard.

I've diagnosed the fault - the scraper blade is bent.  I can now take apart and reassemble the machine with my eyes shut, I've done it so many times in an attempt to fix (remove blade, attempt to straighten on a Straight Lump of Metil, replace), but no joy.

Can't find a suitably sized replacement* on t'web either. Bum.

*142mm blade, 155mm length overall.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
The Shoap in Islington featured on Radio Scotlands Breaking the News yesterday. It is a new place which brings Scottish food like Lorne sausage to That London.
Breaking the News joked that they are bringing the Scottish experience to Londoners by refusing to accept their money.

I got there around 2pm and they had already run out of food...  The place was a cafe style rather than a deli, and full of yoof chattering. Tap for Tennents Lager on the counter, however I am not a fan.

I may give it another try, but on a weekday.

https://www.auldhag.co.uk/

*Bzzzztt"

Deviation...  Lorne sausage is not technically a food.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
that is correct it is a diety.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk