Author Topic: RIDE FOR RYDER 2020 CANCELLED ….BUT  (Read 2017 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
RIDE FOR RYDER 2020 CANCELLED ….BUT
« on: 22 April, 2020, 12:32:53 am »
RIDE FOR RYDER 2020 (28 JUN 20) CANCELLED ….BUT
I cannot live without my RRTY 200km fix. But Lock Down and ‘Doing the Right Thing’ suggests I do not sneak out and do 10x 20km laps of Cheltenham; I could ride my old commute journey + several times.

But what I will do is a VIRTUAL 200KM. I have a Computrainer, so am setting this up. I am programming to ride at 120-130bpm on a mildly lumpy course (staying OFF the Cotswolds) with an average (summer weight bike!) of 24kph. So, if all else fails, with Audax-style (home) café stops, that is a 10hr ride. If I manage that I might just finish off with my permitted hour on the road; the A46 passes within 100m. I recognise no RRTY points but it will bring me Peace of Mind for monthly continuity and cycling fitness.

The other more poignant reason for the ride is to ride on my late wife Shirley’s 82nd birthday, St George’s Day 23rd April. Many will know she was fighting Pancreatic Cancer. She lost her fight on 7th April. In her final months our home became a Hospice@Home under the Care Team from our local Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice.

If you would like to support my ride the Just Giving link is:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Poulton
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: RIDE FOR RYDER 2020 CANCELLED ….BUT
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2020, 02:58:47 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear that, Steve, my sincere condolences.

And my sincere respect for continuing with a 'virtual' 200 which would be tough going at the best of times.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2020, 08:12:56 pm »
Condolences from here, Steve.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2020, 12:00:02 pm »
Needless to say, I managed the 200km, with only 10km on the road as an early morning warm-up. I finished in time (within Audax Rules!) for the National NHS Clapathon. Despite a glorious sunny day, I managed to find shade throughout, so no sun-burn worries!

But what strikes you is the boredom, with no Controls to look forward to, no change of scenery, no route problems.

If you would like to support my ride and Sue Ryder the Just Giving link is:
Or go to the Sue Ryder (Leckhampton Court) website and identify to the Memory of Shirley Poulton

Many Thanks
1369 Steve Poulton
SteveP

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2020, 12:16:35 pm »
V200 repeat. New month, new targets. BH Monday, 4 May, would have been our 46th Wedding Anniversary. So, this date provides another opportunity for me to remember Shirley and set up the Sue Ryder bunting and balloons on my drive at GL53 0LA. Weather is looking good.

Many Thanks
Steve
SteveP

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2020, 12:01:50 am »
V200 repeat. New month, new targets. BH Monday, 4 May, would have been our 46th Wedding Anniversary. So, this date provides another opportunity for me to remember Shirley and set up the Sue Ryder bunting and balloons on my drive at GL53 0LA. Weather is looking good.

Many Thanks
Steve
May 4th 1974 was a wonderful day and today Shirl & I would have celebrated 46yrs legally together. We had been a social and climbing team for 50yrs. I celebrated her 82nd birthday on St George’s Day 23 April by riding a Virtual 200. So, under Lock Down I would need to do the same for my May 200km. The 4th was an obvious day and I was blessed with perfect weather. To start and in the early chill, I took to local roads for a 20mile ride; that now meant 105 miles on the Turbo on the drive. After setting up the turbo and my Ribble 365, I used Prog 3 on the Computrainer to simulate the effort (HR) and pace (17mph (Computrainer reads Miles)) I expect from a typical flattish Audax 200. I opted to split the ride into 15mile rides between ‘café’ stops (kitchen). I had a few visitors to whom I apologise if I did not stop until my scheduled 15mile sector finished. To pass the time I brought out CDs, Judy Collins and John Denver really helped to pass the time. 200km in 11h 20m, a ‘normal’ Audax time for me.
SteveP