Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 59631 times)

Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #125 on: 20 April, 2021, 05:22:44 pm »
No intention of falling from it  :) I'm also unlikely to be cornering fast enough to cause it to be unstable at the moment as I'm trying to fight my way back to basic fitness. I'll have to dig out my helmet though and check it is still OK - been quite a while since that has seen light of day.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #126 on: 20 April, 2021, 05:40:51 pm »
Looking at kit, there is a suggestion on the BHPC website that elbow protectors are worn if on a non-hard shell faired bike. Is that also the case for trikes? I'll be on a Trice XL.

It's merely a suggestion.

Personally, I didn't bother when I raced[1] on barakta's ICE Sprint last season, but do use them on the Red Baron.  Combination of how likely I am to fall off, and relative speed through corners.

Elbows, hands and hip/arse are the classic falling-off-a-recumbent-bike injuries.  I reckon mitts are sensible on anything.  I recall one of our members endorsing goalkeeper's shorts as hip protection, though they're hardly aero and a potential bee hazard.

[1] I use the term loosely.
Goalkeeper's padded undershorts would not be a bee hazard and only marginally less aero than cycle shorts. They might look a bit weird, and possibly borderline indecent, but that's hardly a consideration while racing.
https://www.great-save.com/goalkeeper-clothing-goalkeeper-kit/lightweight-padded-goalkeeper-shorts/precision-neoprene-padded-goalkeeping-short.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #127 on: 24 April, 2021, 09:09:41 pm »
Seems I don’t need to pretend to be a Team Manager after all, just dust down my hi-viz weskit and pretend to be a marshal  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #128 on: 24 April, 2021, 09:45:36 pm »
Seems I don’t need to pretend to be a Team Manager after all, just dust down my hi-viz weskit and pretend to be a marshal  :thumbsup:

Ah good, someone to scare away the dog-emptiers before Slash gets them.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #129 on: 14 May, 2021, 08:14:07 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzxI08dMBM

Whilst I'm in Video mode, here is the first race (my first ever race), at BHPC, Gravesend , 2020. Bit slow to start, but picks up towards the end. (20 min + 1 lap)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #130 on: 14 May, 2021, 08:55:07 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzxI08dMBM

Whilst I'm in Video mode, here is the first race (my first ever race), at BHPC, Gravesend , 2020. Bit slow to start, but picks up towards the end. (20 min + 1 lap)

Sneaky inside line on the finish there!  That mad woman on the tricycle didn't stand a chance.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #131 on: 15 May, 2021, 10:01:03 am »
And who's the uprighter in the yellow YACF jersey?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #132 on: 15 May, 2021, 01:55:42 pm »
And who's the uprighter in the yellow YACF jersey?

Gerwinium OTP

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #133 on: 16 May, 2021, 04:26:59 pm »
Grand day out.  Kim's Klever Klock awarded two (2) :thumbsup: from The Panel although how well it would have survived had Liam Goodman failed to keep the Notso upright when his attempt to wrest second place from Lee Wakefield was thwarted by traffic…. Photos to follow once I've prised them out of the camera and thrown away all the shots of empty tarmac.

« Reply #134 on: 16 May, 2021, 04:39:25 pm »
And said finish, with points for artistic merit

https://youtu.be/zGpvR6ow6pQ

Good day out, the weather was OK (mild showers whilst racing, but cooling rather than nasty). Nice to see some familiar faces too, and meet some new people.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #135 on: 16 May, 2021, 05:17:26 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #136 on: 16 May, 2021, 10:54:09 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #137 on: 19 May, 2021, 02:37:33 pm »
Next up: dePreston in a couple of weeks time.  Registrations open for members and selling fast: https://shop.bhpc.org.uk/bhpc-race-sign-on

*BUMP*  Registration now open to non-members.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #138 on: 31 May, 2021, 11:47:08 pm »
It's looking suspiciously like it might forget to rain at Preston  ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #139 on: 03 June, 2021, 09:41:15 pm »
All systems go (currently including the weather), and entries closed for dePreston.  Meanwhile, registrations for the York/Scunthorpe double-bill on the 19th/20th of June are now open to BHPC members.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #140 on: 06 June, 2021, 11:02:28 pm »
It forgot to rain at Preston!   :o

More later when I've had some sleep.

« Reply #141 on: 08 June, 2021, 05:36:37 am »
Hi I'm planning to visit and spectate. Any advice on which venue to choose?  York is the most accessible, folder, train from Durham. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #142 on: 08 June, 2021, 11:04:24 am »
Hi I'm planning to visit and spectate. Any advice on which venue to choose?  York is the most accessible, folder, train from Durham. 

Spectators are currently an issue due to Covid rules.  Preston was the first time a venue has allowed spectators since The Before Times, and we only found out the week before (with a couple of notable exceptions, the admin staff responsible for cycle tracks are poor at communication at the best of times, exacerbated by those where the cycling facilities are part of a larger sports venue that's furloughed most of its staff due to lack of sportsing).  I've asked the committee, let's see if Chris has heard anything from York or Scunthorpe...

(Non-racers who are accompanying juniors, assisting disabled riders or helping to organise the event are allowed.  We had a several of marshals at Hillingdon, which is a track that benefits from plenty of marshals due to wandering dog-emptiers.)

That said, if you've got something with wheels and a brake and can meet the magic hat requirement, you can always enter the race.  Numbers aren't usually a problem on the northern events, and a token trundle at the back of the slow race on a folding bike is entirely in the spirit of the BHPC.  Comedy Track Racing on Mildly Inappropriate Bikes, and all that.

« Reply #143 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:00:27 pm »
Thanks for the info Kim, had not thought about CV19. I have entered, considering riding my up wrong trike, from Durham that's 80 miles each way with no train home bail-out...
I guess Scarbourgh may entail some more serious racing (for some) as the track is oval without any wiggly bits

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #144 on: 31 July, 2021, 11:20:03 pm »
Today's racing at Stourport went about as well as can be expected.  The weather held off, the newbies had fun, none of the crashes were serious, and all the timing equipment was  a) present  and  b) worked.

Not on speaking terms with the muscles in my lower right leg, which seemed to have formed a union or something.   >:(

Tomorrow, Shrewsbury...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #145 on: 31 July, 2021, 11:23:17 pm »
See you there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #146 on: 01 August, 2021, 09:42:05 am »
Those sound like the races closest to Mordor.  Maybe next year.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #147 on: 18 October, 2021, 06:03:17 pm »
Results for the completed 2021 season are now up at: http://www.bhpc.org.uk/results.aspx

I'm still accepting quibbles over Hillingdon at http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/2021-round-12-hillingdon-sunday-17th-october_topic7295.html

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #148 on: 18 October, 2021, 06:25:12 pm »
#SlashWinsLOL

« Reply #149 on: 18 October, 2021, 07:01:39 pm »
Never would have seen that one coming