Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333619 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2125 on: 02 January, 2020, 02:25:55 pm »
I remember it had to go back to,the Jewlers to be sorted out, and I still don’t know to this day if they managed to clean the ring or just replaced the band with a new one. Sarah’s parents very kindly paid to the process, which given I was recently cleaned out, was just as well 😏
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #2126 on: 02 January, 2020, 03:34:22 pm »
They can just heat the ring to evaporate the mercury (that's how they used to get the gold out of the ore, dissolve in mercury and then boil it off). Obviously these days under controlled conditions as mercury vapour isn't very nice. Alternatively, they can soak it in a nitric acid bath (mercury is soluble in nitric acid, gold not really).

Or you could go with the cool amalgam look. I wanted iridium wedding rings. Then romance butted up hard against the cold, harsh reality of economics. So we have platinum.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2127 on: 02 January, 2020, 04:04:12 pm »
At the thick end of three weeks off, I've started watching daytime TV. Charlie Dimmock is still doing her thing, and I'm amazed what old tat rescued from the dump sells for
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2128 on: 03 January, 2020, 08:33:38 am »
At the thick end of three weeks off, I've started watching daytime TV. Charlie Dimmock is still doing her thing, and I'm amazed what old tat rescued from the dump sells for
How did you find out her fee?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2129 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:04:05 am »
I decided to indulge in a little facial topiary this morn, what with my beard being over 10cm in length. I can only blame sun-spot activity or perhaps just the general unrest in the world has permeated deeper into my psyche than I had realised, but I’ve gone and overdone it. My beard is now less than 8mm all over. My saggy under jaw is obvious for the first time ever.

I’m going to have to change my online persona to double chinny.

I am more than a little sad.

I’m going to hide from the world and retire to my bed until a reasonable amount of facial foliage has returned. Or perhaps buy a false beard.

This could belong in a number of places, but on reflection I feel here is the right one.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2130 on: 09 January, 2020, 07:41:58 pm »
How did you find out her fee?

That made me laugh probably more than it should have done. Well done!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2131 on: 27 January, 2020, 03:09:35 pm »
I had to give up trying to get Alexa to play Radio 6 on the Sonos playbase, and revert to using the Sonos app.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #2132 on: 27 January, 2020, 04:28:25 pm »
You should get really angry on the internet and shout YOU ARE STUPID at anyone who might not be in 100% agreement.

« Reply #2133 on: 02 February, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »
Over many years I've got used to labels in clothes being sewn in at the back or in the right hand side seam.
I recently bought some underpants that have the label sewn inot the left side.

What's the world coming to?t

« Reply #2134 on: 02 February, 2020, 06:43:10 pm »
The world has shifted to the right.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2135 on: 02 February, 2020, 08:44:32 pm »
I've just ordered a headtorch on ebay. Why is ebay now suggesting I might like an upright vacuum cleaner (or it might be a carpet cleaner, I really don't want to investigate to find out) and a Hotpoint washing machine? Also, free "postage" on a washing machine, wtf?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2136 on: 02 February, 2020, 09:19:08 pm »
Also, free "postage" on a washing machine, wtf?

That's probably eBay for "you'll have to come and pick it up".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2137 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:13:25 am »
Over many years I've got used to labels in clothes being sewn in at the back or in the right hand side seam.

M&S ladies' undies all have left-sided labels now. They used to be at the back.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2138 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:00:00 pm »
The microchip in my debit card no longer talks to contactless payment machines, so I have to push the card into the slot and press buttons.

How ever am I going to cope?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2139 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:22:47 pm »
The microchip in my debit card no longer talks to contactless payment machines, so I have to push the card into the slot and press buttons.

Still using a card in 2020? How delightfully retro! Charming as this olde worlde technology is, it's not the most reliable. Unless you're ready to go the full Boomer retiree with an Apple watch, you should download a banking app and pay by phone. We have heard of people using a technique known to initiates as "cash", but this is only to be recommended for experts.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2140 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:45:09 pm »

Have you got them on back-to-front?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2141 on: 03 February, 2020, 02:34:38 pm »
Now, where did I leave that old joke about C&A underwear?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2142 on: 03 February, 2020, 02:37:05 pm »

Have you got them on back-to-front?
I hope not, otherwise he’s not going to know whether he’s coming or going.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2143 on: 03 February, 2020, 03:28:16 pm »

Still using a card in 2020? How delightfully retro! Charming as this olde worlde technology is, it's not the most reliable. Unless you're ready to go the full Boomer retiree with an Apple watch, you should download a banking app and pay by phone. We have heard of people using a technique known to initiates as "cash", but this is only to be recommended for experts.

I'm going to start carrying around a sheep for barter, or offering my services in exchange for food adn lodging
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2144 on: 03 February, 2020, 03:54:02 pm »

I'm going to start carrying around a sheep for barter, or offering my services in exchange for food adn lodging
That can lead to all sorts of trouble. I once stayed in a B&B in Bratislava where the landlady decided she wanted my services for food and lodging rather than my money.  :hand:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2145 on: 03 February, 2020, 03:59:58 pm »
;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2146 on: 03 February, 2020, 07:38:35 pm »

Showing your age there, Ham. It was the first thing that occurred to me as well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2147 on: 03 February, 2020, 08:43:51 pm »

Some things refuse payment by mobile - Santander hire bikes in London for example. If you don't have their app you need to use a physical card, payment by contactless from a mobile is specifically refused.

(For this example I know you can use their app to avoid having to use a card, my point was that using a card from Apple Wallet or the like is refused, it says "Mobile payments not permitted" or similar.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2148 on: 04 February, 2020, 09:50:36 am »
My cards are shielded against scanning - might be problems with shielding a 'phone.

BTW, I still have a C&A carrier bag - C&A closed in the UK in 2001.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2149 on: 04 February, 2020, 10:35:30 am »

Some things refuse payment by mobile - Santander hire bikes in London for example. If you don't have their app you need to use a physical card, payment by contactless from a mobile is specifically refused.

(For this example I know you can use their app to avoid having to use a card, my point was that using a card from Apple Wallet or the like is refused, it says "Mobile payments not permitted" or similar.)
The machines in Bristol libraries only take cash (to pay for printing, overdue fines, etc). They have card machines built in but these are all 'disabled' or 'not functioning'. I presume this is due to transaction fees but I've never asked. One morning a week I do a volunteer shift in a charity bookshop and about a third of people pay cash, for the others there is some generational difference: almost nobody uses chip and pin, contactless is ageless but young people (lots of students in the area) often use phones and occasionally an old person pays by smartwatch (not sure whether Apple, Google or what). I've yet to see one of these watches used by anyone under about 65.