Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 106163 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

I came across Hollie McNish (cf POBI thread) and found this poem, which very much belongs here.

https://holliepoetry.com/2015/10/05/cocoon/

rogerzilla

Moulton, doing their own thing as usual, choose to put the rear gear cable guides on top of the TSR chainstay.

This means I can't slip a stepped ferrule into the last one and have a neat way to cable up a SA hub.  I have to use a clamp-on fulcrum clip instead, because the cable adjuster/connector fouls the chainstay due to its downward angle towards the rear wheel.  Why couldn't they run the cable underneath, like everyone else does?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Moulton aren't the only ones to put gear cables on top of the chainstay. Still seems like a bad place though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I came across Hollie McNish (cf POBI thread) and found this poem, which very much belongs here.

https://holliepoetry.com/2015/10/05/cocoon/
Lovely, thanks.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

This is a very sad news story https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/05/tributes-as-two-week-old-baby-dies-after-car-hits-pram-in-midlands, I don't want to comment on the substance but I was very much struck by the reporting language

who was killed when his pram was hit by a motorist

he was struck by a person driving a BMW

We've waited for that for a long time, a great shame the first time I've seen it is in these circumstances.

ETA since reading that I've been shouting in my head (to some unspecified person(s) ) "See? it wasn't that difficult was it?"

ian

This is a very sad news story https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/05/tributes-as-two-week-old-baby-dies-after-car-hits-pram-in-midlands, I don't want to comment on the substance but I was very much struck by the reporting language

We've waited for that for a long time, a great shame the first time I've seen it is in these circumstances.

ETA since reading that I've been shouting in my head (to some unspecified person(s) ) "See? it wasn't that difficult was it?"

I often grink when I read the-car-did-it language. I've got a few mealy we-can't-prejudice replies which are nonsensical since vehicle are (still) by definition driven by someone and a few yeah-that-was-tortuous-language-we're-not-sure-why.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
I read a news report yesterday about a fatal collision that elided the existence of a car at all for about three paragraphs, referring solely to the driver. It's about time.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

I often grink when I read the-car-did-it language. I've got a few mealy we-can't-prejudice replies which are nonsensical since vehicle are (still) by definition driven by someone and a few yeah-that-was-tortuous-language-we're-not-sure-why.

Oh my fucking god.

The sub has re-written it now. No mention of the driver, it's the car wot did it.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

£100 kit from China. No engineering by the "cyclist" required.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Am I the only one here wanting to know more about the engineering of this hybrid?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/cyclist-who-added-petrol-engine-to-push-bike-is-fined-240-at-court/ar-BB1g3V53?ocid=msedgntp

I came across one of those on Critical Mass, back in the days when Birmingham had Critical Mass, and thought much the same thing.  I was rather disappointed to learn that it was a...

£100 kit from China. No engineering by the "cyclist" required.

Regardless, if you're going to do crimes, it's best not to do really noisy ones.

Cudzoziemiec

Regardless, if you're going to do crimes, it's best not to do really noisy ones.
Unless you make them so noisy that everyone's stunned, deafened or even dead.

But these DIY wannabe Mobylette/Velosolex things seem like a big danger to other road users and indeed non-road users, and an even bigger danger to the rider. I should think they make a good fire though.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
I do have to admit that the owner does rather resemble a KNOB
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Beardy

• Shedist
Ms Beardy the younger has just bought a bicycle. She says she can’t cope with a top tube, but didn’t really want a town bike so she compromised and got a mixi framed hybrid. Nothing fancy, but not a BSO and she bought it from a LBS rather than online or from a chain store. She wants some panniers now.

Discussions on the use of a helmet are currently ongoing.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

A mixte is what I would have, or will have, when I am old and arthritic and can't cope with a cross bar. So that's a good choice by Ms Beardy the younger.

rogerzilla

Is it only me who sees Joseph Kuosac "pimp my Brompton" products and reads Jack Kerouac?

Cudzoziemiec

Things I have seen while riding my bike in the past couple of weeks:

A woman running in a multicoloured tutu, with a race number indicating she was doing so for charity.
A family on matching bikes – a fleet of one make of brown step-throughs.
Several generations of another family, obviously not a "cycling family" cos mtbsos and wearing jeans and t-shirts, teens racing off the front, then mum, then little kids, then a looong gap followed by granny huffing and puffing, and an even loooonger gap with dad taking up the rear pulling a child trailer while the dog ran alongside, lead wrapped round the bike.
A man in a t-shirt bearing the slogan "Conservatives are targeting everybody now".
A number of cargo bikes and a couple of tadpole trike child-carriers.

Heard but not seen:
A cuckoo.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Cycling family variation that I've noticed a couple of times recently:  The elder generation and/or women whizzing up the hill with electron-assistance, while fit young men bring up the rear under their own steam.   :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cycling family variation that I've noticed a couple of times recently:  The elder generation and/or women whizzing up the hill with electron-assistance, while fit young men bring up the rear under their own steam.   :thumbsup:

On Saturday, I was overtaken going up a hill on the Crab & Winkle Way by two older gents on electron-assisted bikes. I caught up with them further along, on a flat bit. One of the bikes was a rather lovely looking Cube, and I made the obligatory "nice bike" comment to the rider as I passed. "Yes, it helps me go further," was his reply. I wholeheartedly endorse this sentiment. Made me think I should try to persuade the ageing pater to get an e-bike for himself, then we could go out for a good long ride together (ideally one involving pubs).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

Those are very good uses of anbaronic assistance. I imagine both Puffing Granny and Laden Dad would have appreciated an ebike. The dog might have been less impressed.

I suppose though that until the secondhand market becomes fairly saturated with them, ebikes are going to remain an investment out of reach of only-casually cycling families. Day hires might go some way to fill the gap if you live somewhere appropriate.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
My ageing pater (87) has converted his Brompton to e-assist (there's another thread on his trials and tribulations with it). I went riding with him a few weeks ago on my non e-assist Brompton and he said I was too slow! But he is certainly enjoying being out and about.

citoyen

I'm going in to the office next Thursday. Seriously considering cycle commuting all the way. It's more or less exactly 100km, depending on the route (a bit over if I choose the quieter roads). At this time of year, it will already be light by the time I have to set off, and if I don't fancy riding home at the end of the day, I can take the train.

Only down sides are having to work out how to carry office clothes on the bike, and the fact that we don't have showers in the office, so it will have to be baby wipes. Will also need to arrange access to the secure parking - don't fancy leaving it unattended near Marble Arch all day, even with a hefty lock (and don't fancy carrying the hefty lock either).

Obviously it's much too far to consider doing this regularly, especially with the lack of showers, but as a one-off, on one of the longest days of the year, it might even be fun!

citoyen

For those who may not be aware, there's a Major Sporting Event going on at the moment. The good news for cyclists across England and Scotland (but maybe not Wales) is that the roads are likely to be very empty from around 8pm tomorrow evening.

Get out there and enjoy it while you can!

Happiness is your first bike.

In action here