Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 379655 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #275 on: 05 July, 2013, 06:25:24 am »
To be fair, there isn't much else to do in Kettering and he can sell it on fleaBay afterwards because it's "been in the news".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #276 on: 05 July, 2013, 07:21:58 am »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #277 on: 05 July, 2013, 07:50:11 am »

Chris S

« Reply #278 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:55:00 pm »
Is it just me, or is some lawyer somewhere, being a bit fucking petty?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-23226366

« Reply #279 on: 08 July, 2013, 11:42:43 pm »
Somebody somewhere is being bloody stupid. Doesn't know the difference between good & bad publicity. Cost of leaving it be? Nothing. Cost of making yourself appear a right bastard, & mind-bogglingly petty-minded at the same time? Incalculable, but potentially real.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #280 on: 09 July, 2013, 05:16:37 am »
Next time, paint it in leather with arseless chaps and have a dwarf gorilla carrying a silver salver of cocaine* in front of it.  I bet they didn't copyright that.

*old Queen aftershow party urban legend
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #281 on: 09 July, 2013, 07:23:20 am »
Of course, they could have just asked the estate for permission and, having told them what it was in support of, they'd probably have been given permission.

It seems to me the artist tried to get round the rules (by changing the design on the jacket) and got caught out.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #282 on: 09 July, 2013, 10:00:47 am »
Erm unless I've misread that story, the copyright belongs to a charity and they were objecting to a commercial organisation using it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #283 on: 09 July, 2013, 10:13:24 am »
Erm unless I've misread that story, the copyright belongs to a charity and they were objecting to a commercial organisation using it.

I don't believe that the Freddie Mercury Estate is a charity.

The Freddie Mercury Estate objected to a commercial organisation using copyrighted imagery.  It's clear that the commercial organisation and the artist knew about the copyright issue and tried to get round it.  I think that if permission had been sought in the first place from the Estate, they'd probably have agreed to the imagery being used, given what was going to happen to the statues further down the line.

There are two charities that will benefit from the sale of these in the future.  I think they're being referred to the try and make the Estate out to be the baddies, rather than looking at why a commercial organisation looked to bypss copyright rules in the first place.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #284 on: 09 July, 2013, 11:14:45 am »
A Mum has vowed to defy new rules which could see her daughter banned from playing basketball outside her own home.

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/angry_welwyn_garden_city_mum_i_won_t_stick_to_new_flag_ban_1_2266182

:D
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #285 on: 09 July, 2013, 04:29:31 pm »
Scary crow  :o

Illustrated with a picture of a rook  :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #286 on: 09 July, 2013, 11:32:52 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #287 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:12:55 am »
And (former) colonies . . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10170744/Australian-DJ-in-royal-prank-sues-employer.html

:facepalm:

Is she heading for a Taylforth moment? Or is she going to get away with "It's all their fault! They didn't stop me!"
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #288 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:22:42 am »
That report is incorrect (it is the Telegraph, after all).  Jacintha Saldanha did not reveal any details, but just put the call through to the ward, where the nurse on duty gave out information.  The impersonations by the DJs were pathetically poor, perhaps deliberately so, and they never expected even to get through, let alone have someone discuss personal matters, possibly in breach of the DPA (that's not been tested, but it seems very likely).

Worth noting that the call came through to nursing staff because the hospital didn't employ any admin or managerial staff to work out of hours, and the on-call rota was shaky at best, according to reports.

Worth noting also that the Telegraph is a strident advocate of the privatisation of healthcare.
Getting there...

« Reply #289 on: 10 July, 2013, 11:12:15 am »
Blame me for picking the first one off the list which gave the (to me) significant information about the current story, without bothering to read the rest of what it said.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #290 on: 10 July, 2013, 11:38:52 am »
Not at all.  You can't be held responsible for the poor standards of work coming out of SW1 (or wherever they are based).

I agree, however, it's a bit odd that she is suing her employer, though the stress she no doubt suffers is as a result of something which happened in the workplace.  Yes, it was her own actions, but you'd have to know the environment in which she works.  The station is, apparently, known for trying to push the limits, and it is quite possible that there is a lot of pressure on their employees to perform stunts and maybe take it a bit far. 

Hard to say.
Getting there...

« Reply #291 on: 10 July, 2013, 02:04:49 pm »
I think she is sueing her employer because her co-dj has been allowed back on the radio but she hasn't.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #292 on: 10 July, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »
Has she not been allowed back on air by the station or is she still signed off with stress?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #293 on: 10 July, 2013, 08:01:36 pm »
I know Catford doesn't count as provincial, but I think the hilarious photoshop job makes up for it:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10534660.Catford_fox_horror_for_man_on_toilet/

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #294 on: 10 July, 2013, 08:11:40 pm »
Excellent grrrrrr pose.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #295 on: 10 July, 2013, 08:24:08 pm »
I know Catford doesn't count as provincial, but I think the hilarious photoshop job makes up for it:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10534660.Catford_fox_horror_for_man_on_toilet/

"It was like a wild animal."

It WAS a wild animal, you twonk!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #296 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »
Photoshop?  I'm glad you told us, or we might not have spotted it.
Getting there...

« Reply #297 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »
Photoshop? More like Paint if you ask me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #298 on: 11 July, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »
Could also qualify for motorised moron status, but the reporting style lends itself to this thread...

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10539181._Audi_sandwich__closes_road_in_Swanage/

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #299 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:29:36 pm »

"It was like a wild animal."

It WAS a wild animal, you twonk!

I must confess I did like the context sensitive adverts fro soft close toilet seats I got with the article.  Very topical...  He may be an idiot, but he's not all bad, he's got a pussy cat.
Wombat