Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63812 times)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
it's an interesting observation that there has not been much post event chat on this thread compared with Fakebook and Instaspam ....presumably old school Forums are not quite so de rigueur these days.  ;)

Anyway, for the record I enjoyed a very splendid ride on the slow 400 which incorporated a rather fine wild camp up in the hills above Tywyn.  This made for two challenging 200k days which were really not like touring in my book so I'm satisfied I was still within the TINAT ethos!  I thought the route was a masterpiece and the organisation a masterclass!

The TINAT rides were advertised as "Welsh Audax bike rides in the spirit of Mike Hall". For you, his friends that were organising this event I'm sure you wanted to 'do Mike's memory proud' and clearly you achieved that and then some! Chapeau to you all!

Thank you Black Sheep and all the others for quite possibly the best weekend of riding I have ever done.

'and now for the Gallery' as someone once said (cue music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om2HbDzZOWA):

http://s379.photobucket.com/user/chillmoister/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads/TINAT%20400%20brevet%20Populaire%20-%20June%202018

appearing in a tea room near you

Some lovely stuff there, thanks.  I don't know the route but did  I spot Abergwesyn Common?  And possibly the area known as World's End?  The track up through the trees put me in mind of one I rode on my way to help out at a control on the National 400 last year, in the Elan Valley - Craig something reservoir?

Thanks again.

Peter

it's an interesting observation that there has not been much post event chat on this thread compared with Fakebook and Instaspam ....presumably old school Forums are not quite so de rigueur these days.  ;)

Anyway, for the record I enjoyed a very splendid ride on the slow 400 which incorporated a rather fine wild camp up in the hills above Tywyn.  This made for two challenging 200k days which were really not like touring in my book so I'm satisfied I was still within the TINAT ethos!  I thought the route was a masterpiece and the organisation a masterclass!

The TINAT rides were advertised as "Welsh Audax bike rides in the spirit of Mike Hall". For you, his friends that were organising this event I'm sure you wanted to 'do Mike's memory proud' and clearly you achieved that and then some! Chapeau to you all!

Thank you Black Sheep and all the others for quite possibly the best weekend of riding I have ever done.

'and now for the Gallery' as someone once said (cue music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om2HbDzZOWA):

http://s379.photobucket.com/user/chillmoister/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads/TINAT%20400%20brevet%20Populaire%20-%20June%202018

Great photos!

It has been remarked that the number of AUK's vs "others" wasn't that great so probably the majority of participants are unaware of the YACF VIP area.

Some lovely stuff there, thanks.  I don't know the route but did  I spot Abergwesyn Common?  And possibly the area known as World's End?  The track up through the trees put me in mind of one I rode on my way to help out at a control on the National 400 last year, in the Elan Valley - Craig something reservoir?

Thanks again.

Peter

Abergwesyn Common is in there but not World's End - that is much further north.  You probably did ride the track through the trees to the Craig Goch reservoir rendition of the Van of Delights.

Yes, World's End is up Llangollen way but I didn't know your route.  I was indeed at the V of Delights in 2017.  I didn't ride back down the track at night, though, as I thought that might be tempting fate.  This turned out to be the right decision because my front lamp suddenly failed on the descent of the road on the other side of the valley - no warning, just darkness!  Fortunately, I had a small back up lamp.

Great pictures, again.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
Whoever organised Dafarn Newydd Stores to stay open all night needs a big pat on the back.   I think it was Chillmoister ?    This was an amazing oasis providing just what we wanted just when we needed it.   And the couple running the Shop/Cafe were such nice people.   I particularly enjoyed the Fish and Chips.   This set me up so nicely on the 300b that I didn't need to stop again before the Arrivee (which I had great trouble finding !).    I was carrying plenty of food but was out of water because of the heat on the long steep climbs.
So well done that man.

The Event was the most fun I have had in over 20 years Audaxing.   I found it very hard, but knew it would be when I entered, but the atmosphere, the great weather and attitude of the Organising Team and Checkpointers plus the other riders made for an amazing day.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
What are you doing on the15th-16th June 2019?
www.tinat.cymru
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
What are you doing on the15th-16th June 2019 ?
Er..... this?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Phil W

www.tinat.cymru

In the diary was on Highlands 1000 this year. Will make a nice post PBP qualification weekend.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
www.tinat.cymru

In the diary was on Highlands 1000 this year. Will make a nice post PBP qualification weekend.
That's what we thought.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

chillmoister

• King of Compton
Whoever organised Dafarn Newydd Stores to stay open all night needs a big pat on the back.   I think it was Chillmoister ?   
I can't take the credit for that ...my longstanding wheelman Keeks, of this parish, did the leg work to make them aware of the event and that it might be worth their while opening early on Sunday to support the TINAT riders.  Black Sheep saw an even bigger opportunity for them and used his Jedi mind tricks and persuaded them to stay open all Saturday night / Sunday morning  :thumbsup:.  When I dropped in mid Sunday morning they were 'totally stoked'  8) with the whole experience and definitely want to be involved again.  They really felt they had been part of something special ..which they had!
appearing in a tea room near you

Completing unfinished 600 business, hopefully. Unless I succumb to a bout of sanity.

Thanks so much to Mark, James, Gareth, and everyone else who made this happen! What a weekend.

Here's my post-mortem:

http://blog.willvousden.co.uk/2018/06/this-is-not-a-tour/

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Well done.

www.tinat.cymru

Hopefully ^

The date works much better for me.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
Does anyone know where I can access the finish list of those who completed the BP Events (100, 2 x200, 300 and 400).    It would also be nice to know how many starters and finishers (incl out of time) there were on the Events that have been published.     ALL the Routes were much rougher and tougher (but also more Scenic 😎) than our usual Audaxes because of the off road sections, and just to complete any of the Routes in any time at all was an achievement

Chris N

They're not all up online yet, but the results will be here: http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/  Only those who complete the ride are recorded.

Does anyone have the route sheets and GPS files for these routes?

I was not able to ride on the weekend but quite fancy having a crack at some under my own steam over the Summer.

Particularly interested in the two 100km routes and the slow 300km.

I was not able to ride on the weekend but quite fancy having a crack at some under my own steam over the Summer.

And I thought we had more than our fair share of freeloaders on the day.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Not wishing to encourage freeloaders, but the maps are on the event listings and there aren't that many roads in mid Wales...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Mark,

I am not really sure how to take your comment. If I have offended you I apologise.

I would be quite happy to make a contribution in return for the route info. Sorry I should have mentioned this in my initial request.

I know that you and your team put a massive amount of effort into these events as well as the normal calendar events you organise.

I appreciate this effort and would not want to take advantage of your hard work.

Mark,

I am not really sure how to take your comment. If I have offended you I apologise.

I would be quite happy to make a contribution in return for the route info. Sorry I should have mentioned this in my initial request.

I know that you and your team put a massive amount of effort into these events as well as the normal calendar events you organise.

I appreciate this effort and would not want to take advantage of your hard work.

It's more the fact that a group of individuals quite litterally gave-up hundreds (probably thousands') of hours of their free time and resources, to make everything happen. 

Also from the very outset (some eight months beforehand) it was stated on every event page that any profits from the events would be going to charity.

I realise that you are not aware of the underhand tricks pulled by quite a number of individuals leading-up to the event or a consoderable number of others on the morning. And on a more general note, that was probably the most dissapointing/disgusting issue of the week end.

On the Friday evening every entrant's brevet card was double-checked against the records generated by the AUK system. So it came as a considerable  shock and logistic issue when  such a large number of 'unaccounted' presented themselves at the start.

If you want details, PM me and we can see what can be done.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
They're not all up online yet, but the results will be here: http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/
Are all finishers up yet? Just curious as a quick tally shows ~ 110 finishers now and there were 500+ registered riders I believe? Yes it was challenging (at least the 300A was) but 80% DNF/HD? Did AUK members on the whole do better than laymen (for lack of a better term)?

I realise that you are not aware of the underhand tricks pulled by quite a number of individuals leading-up to the event or a consoderable number of others on the morning.
Because registration was closed and they wanted to ride anyway or just to cheat you out of £8? I'd say the former is just incredibly bad form (use the descriptions/route map and plan your own ride on another weekend instead). As to the second, that's a behaviour I literally cannot comprehend  ???

Fortunately it didn't dissuade you from organising this again next year! After riding 30 brevets in ~ 2 years time this one and LEL are the two rides I remember most fondly and I'd love to ride it again.

Lastly, have you considered turning the 600 into a permanent Super Randonnée? It appears to have the required 10000+ meters climbing. Just how cool would it be to have a "Mike Hall Super Randonnée" that is a challenge not just for the climbs, but has off road sections as well? Is there any other SR with real off road sections?