Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882923 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1250 on: 16 August, 2008, 10:04:38 am »
I've been out  (and not of the closet, which seems to be todays theme ;D )  A nice little 25 er before the rain hits and Im now back and watching the trackies on telly :thumbsup:

Gonna do some fettling later and maybe go out again if it dries up a bit

Maladict

« Reply #1251 on: 16 August, 2008, 03:49:45 pm »
I went down to Fourwentways to collect my Rainlegs and NSTN's RoadID band, and got abused for riding in secondary position on Lime Kiln rd cos a few cars had to wait for a bit.  I thought I'd video'd it but the SD card filled up about 3 seconds before the incident.

Mental note: if you have several hours of other incidents already recorded, delete 'em before trying to record more.

Also I think I need a rear-facing camera too to record the aggressive driving immediately before the abuse (you know the thing: with their front bumper right alongside your rear wheel as they wait for a passing opportunity).  I think it was me looking round and making eye contact with the driver that triggered the abuse.

Chris S

« Reply #1252 on: 16 August, 2008, 05:02:37 pm »
Yes - chalked up a new first today with 40km on a Tandem.

Many thanks go to the Forummer who has loaned us a lovely Thorn Explorer. My aim is to persuade Mrs S out and about more and, yes I even harbour fantasies of her riding an Audax or an ACF ride with me one day.

Today the job of stoking fell to #2 Son who, like me, had never ridden a tandem before. We did a few tentative loops round quiet, residential streets before daring to take on the ride home. Nobody fell off, and he is still talking to me  ;).

Riding tandem is going to take some getting used to - but our confidence was certainly growing by the end of the ride.

All in all - great fun  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #1253 on: 16 August, 2008, 06:30:54 pm »
I went down to Fourwentways to collect my Rainlegs and NSTN's RoadID band, and got abused for riding in secondary position on Lime Kiln rd cos a few cars had to wait for a bit.  I thought I'd video'd it but the SD card filled up about 3 seconds before the incident.

I hate that road, I'd rather go round to addenbrookes and out on the main road. 

I got the train to london, watched the rowing in trafalgar square, a couple of brisk laps of regents park on a potential new toy then a brisk, tailwind-assisted run home a longish way.  60 miles today :)

Chris S

« Reply #1254 on: 16 August, 2008, 07:29:10 pm »
I got the train to london, watched the rowing in trafalgar square...

Wow - are the fountains big enough for rowing? I'd never have thought it...

Maladict

« Reply #1255 on: 16 August, 2008, 07:51:13 pm »

I hate that road, I'd rather go round to addenbrookes and out on the main road. 

I got the train to london, watched the rowing in trafalgar square, a couple of brisk laps of regents park on a potential new toy then a brisk, tailwind-assisted run home a longish way.  60 miles today :)

First time, in living here for 7 years, that I've had actual abuse there, that I can recall.  The problem was there was a large packet of cars created by there being a /really/ slow 4-way stop lights at the roadworks at the junction of Cherry Hinton Road and Cherry Hinton High St.  The result was a lot of impatient drivers.  However of the approx 8 cars in this packet, only one saw fit to act like a complete tosser.

The reason for the delay wasn't my riding position or speed.  The first car in the queue was really hesitant about overtaking on the way up the hill and in my view could have overtaken easily, since it's pretty straight.  They hesitated til we rounded the corner at the top of the hill, and then overtook when a car was coming the other way (but made it).  They would have easily made it past on the climb.

I don't feel I should have to take long detours to avoid being hassled over a slight delay.  I had already avoided Cherry Hinton High St adding a mile to my journey, going via Addenbrooke's adds probably about the same.  And I am just as likely to be hassled going down Queen Edith's way because there is a shared use pavement.  I've been hassled there more times than on Lime Kiln Hill.

« Reply #1256 on: 16 August, 2008, 07:55:27 pm »
Not really. I cycled into town to pick up a parcel (a couple of merino base layers) and bought a few salamis at the market. 3 miles at most.

Must do better tomorrow.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1257 on: 16 August, 2008, 08:01:43 pm »
Been out on a short circuit with Superstoker to check the tandem fettling, contriving a course where I could reasonably try out every gear (not easy in S London ;D ).  All is (almost) well. Just a bit of tweaking and we're there :)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1258 on: 16 August, 2008, 08:11:50 pm »
Yes - chalked up a new first today with 40km on a Tandem.

Many thanks go to the Forummer who has loaned us a lovely Thorn Explorer. My aim is to persuade Mrs S out and about more and, yes I even harbour fantasies of her riding an Audax or an ACF ride with me one day.

Today the job of stoking fell to #2 Son who, like me, had never ridden a tandem before. We did a few tentative loops round quiet, residential streets before daring to take on the ride home. Nobody fell off, and he is still talking to me  ;).

Riding tandem is going to take some getting used to - but our confidence was certainly growing by the end of the ride.

All in all - great fun  :thumbsup:.

Well done Chris! It adds another dimension to cycling. You'll be saving up for one of your own very soon :thumbsup: .
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1259 on: 16 August, 2008, 08:37:26 pm »
Yes, 50 odd miles with Tiermat and Deano. Some cracking views on the edge of the NY Moors.

annie

« Reply #1260 on: 16 August, 2008, 11:02:55 pm »
About half a mile up the road to the pub.  I was on ToKaMaKs Raleigh, he was on my fixie and TomB was on his fixie.  I ran with the fixie on the way home so that doesn't count.

An indian was consumed and silliness was in abundance.  The naughty step was only used once and the computer went to heaven.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1261 on: 17 August, 2008, 09:12:58 am »
and the computer went to heaven.

Has the computer now returned? Or is reincarnation at work in Needham Market?

« Reply #1262 on: 17 August, 2008, 09:15:20 am »

I was wondering if she meant the bike computer or the PC/lappy

« Reply #1263 on: 17 August, 2008, 12:38:17 pm »
Yes, two laps of Richmond Park, and felt remarkably tired and unfit after two weeks in the Pyrenees.  Passed by pretty much everyone, including the skaters. My fitness is a law unto itself. Ho hum.

« Reply #1264 on: 17 August, 2008, 12:51:29 pm »
Yep.  I'm trying to catch The Sheriff on bikejournal so no slacking on Sundays.  I promised myself a gentle ride today but somehow I found a nice rhythm and ended up zipping around on the MonstaThorn.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1265 on: 17 August, 2008, 02:01:15 pm »
Yep.  I'm trying to catch The Sheriff on bikejournal so no slacking on Sundays.  I promised myself a gentle ride today but somehow I found a nice rhythm and ended up zipping around on the MonstaThorn.

Good Cop Bad Cop?

annie

« Reply #1266 on: 17 August, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »

I was wondering if she meant the bike computer or the PC/lappy

JC's computer is in heaven and it has all of my turbo stuff on there so this morning I used one of the Spinnervals DVDs in the living room, woke the rest of the house and was not very popular.  Just returned from Bentwaters and about to upload some pics.

TomB is on his way to Cambridge.

« Reply #1267 on: 17 August, 2008, 03:24:56 pm »
Yes, two laps of Richmond Park, and felt remarkably tired and unfit after two weeks in the Pyrenees.  Passed by pretty much everyone, including the skaters. My fitness is a law unto itself. Ho hum.

If I'd been cycling up mountains in the Pyrenees, I think I'd be tired too!  :o

And it's all relative - there were probably loads who didn't pass you, but how would you know about them?

« Reply #1268 on: 17 August, 2008, 03:31:37 pm »
Yes, you're right NSTN. Who cares, anyway? :)

Maladict

« Reply #1269 on: 17 August, 2008, 03:37:34 pm »
It's not surprising to be a little tired especially since you've had to travel back.

I had aching thighs from about day 6 into my 14 day southern france tour in 2006.  And I only did 3 days in the pyrenees, though I didn't realise that everywhere is hilly in the south of france.  :)

Elleigh

« Reply #1270 on: 17 August, 2008, 03:45:22 pm »
I'm sure you were nowhere near as slow as you thought you were.  And like the others have said, you may be a little slower after a fortnight of riding up massive mountains.  But then, your slow will be most people's normal speed.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1271 on: 17 August, 2008, 04:13:30 pm »
16km this morning, to go and pick up the motor, which was abandoned at a wedding.

Then 15km out on the tandem to a Pubbe, where the bride's father was in a jazz quartet (with 5 people in it). Mm. Nice.

Some BEER was consumed, took the bride for a spin round the car park, then back home, with what seemed like added scenery.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1272 on: 17 August, 2008, 04:24:48 pm »
JC's computer is in heaven and it has all of my turbo stuff on there
Ahem, wot happened there then - did you let some idiot loose on it? :-[

32 miles today, round some Essex countryside. Quite hard work in the wind. 1 pub stop for a couple of shandys. legs quite heavy after setting 2 consecutive PB's on Thursday and Saturday (and going for it on Annie's turbo trainer!).

Maladict

« Reply #1273 on: 17 August, 2008, 04:37:21 pm »
Is it dead?  There are some good pages on fault-finding dead PCs on teh interwebs.

I have had to do this twice.  Once with a brand new PC.  The front panel power switch was connected to the cable by glue instead of solder in that case.  ::-)

Second case was the bios chip being loose in its socket.  I had removed just about everything before I tried just pressing down on the chip, lo and behold it worked.  Sockets are evil things.

« Reply #1274 on: 17 August, 2008, 04:46:01 pm »
It's got Blue Screen Of Death syndrome. Before it totally died on me it looked to be heavily infected with virus'. I'm wondering if the Master Boot Record has been corrupted. I will fix it and Annie will get her turbo stuff back...