Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576363 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #550 on: 16 August, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »
Vistaprint: I knew that £3.50 was too cheap for a custom t-shirt to be true, and I wouldn't have minded paying £15 for a two-sided design, so just tell me up front how much it's going to cost instead of displaying stupid prices at the start, then I wouldn't feel so pissed off.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #551 on: 16 August, 2011, 09:50:21 pm »
My landline and broadband are down due to a fault at the exchange.
Connection on this Vodafone dongle is S-L-O-W.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #552 on: 16 August, 2011, 09:55:56 pm »
Broadband can you please decide whether you want to run at 2Mb (my preferred option) or 200kb.

Also BT can you fix my phone line please which for some reason can run the internet (and hub phone) but not a normal telephone
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #553 on: 16 August, 2011, 09:56:57 pm »
Argggh. I've got an eyeball headache again :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #554 on: 16 August, 2011, 11:18:53 pm »
BT, you are a bunch of liars! I rang your fault reporting line over two hours ago and heard a recorded announcement stating there was a problem at the exchange that would be fixed within two hours.
Phone and broadband are still dead.
Your website informs me the line is OK.
It is as dead as a dormouse.
It all worked fine just before I left the house at 15.45.
IT IS NOT MY EQUIPMENT THAT'S AT FAULT!

Your staff had conveniently gone home hen I phoned again at 23.00.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #555 on: 16 August, 2011, 11:20:46 pm »
Our-favourite-telco appear to be on top form this evening   >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #556 on: 16 August, 2011, 11:28:00 pm »
I am waiting for Infinity.
I have zero BT connection right now.
I  am not holding my breath...

« Reply #557 on: 17 August, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »
My dear Giles.

When I got you, you were four years old.  A few silly behaviours then were to be expected.  You are now six, but there are days when you behave as though you're two!

Please do let me clarify a few things for you:
-The chickens at the bottom of the hill do not eat horses.  No, really, they don't!  Especially not the bantam!   :facepalm:
-The pigeons tend to rustle in that bush EVERY time we go past it.  That is not a reason for jumping 3 feet into the air and snorting!
-I appreciate that the housebuilding means that there are lots of odd noises, but I guarantee that they will not come out and attack you with the saw they're using.
-The poor woman washing her car didn't need you freezing, snorting and trying to gallop off.  She wasn't planning to wash you off alongside the car, I promise!  And even if she had, water will not kill you!
-The dog that came up to the gate is the yard dog at the yard.  It lives there same as you do.  You see it every single day.  It is not a good reason to leap in the air and refuse to go near the gate!   :o

My dear boy, I love you dearly, but you do make me work hard some days!   ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #558 on: 17 August, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »
Given all that, it's hardly surprising when they get a bit freaked by funny-shaped bicycles.   :facepalm:

« Reply #559 on: 17 August, 2011, 02:30:07 pm »
Haha, Giles is okay about bicycles as long as he knows they're coming.

My friend has one that has a phobia of parked cars.  PARKED cars.  Not moving ones, they're fine.   ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #560 on: 17 August, 2011, 02:48:53 pm »
Haha, Giles is okay about bicycles as long as he knows they're coming.

Has he met a recumbent, though?  I find horses get visibly distressed by it about 50% of the time (while they only usually care about normal shaped bikes if they appear silently without warning[1]).  I don't think they like the pedalling motion high up at the front, so I try to freewheel past whenever possible, and speak in the hope they might recognise that I'm actually a human.

I don't use a flag, but I believe flappy plastic is standard horse phobia material anyway.

Animal risk assessment is odd.  On the Tan Hill ride, I discovered that the sheep were absolutely fine with bicycles at close range as long as you were moving at a decent speed, but if you're crawling uphill they'll panic from a fair distance plus optional fence/wall/ditch away.  I assume they're used to motorbikes, but slow-moving cyclists are scary humans.  I actually started paying attention to this, and found that the threshold was consistently somewhere slightly over 15mph.

That would probably work with horses too, but I wouldn't want to pass one at that sort of speed.

[1] Though I was once stopped at a bench eating a sandwich and a horse refused to go past because my bike was standing menacingly nearby on its prop-stand without a rider.  In the end I got up and wheeled the bike a couple of metres, and then everything was fine.

« Reply #561 on: 17 August, 2011, 03:14:30 pm »
We haven't come across a recumbent yet, so heaven only knows!  If he's like he was today, I might stop him in the next county...  :facepalm:

We did meet a tandem once, and he did have an extra good look at that when it passed (I guess one-headed monsters are different to two-headed ones...lol)

He can be so grown up and sensible...and then on days like today, he's just daft!

« Reply #562 on: 17 August, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »
My dear Giles.

When I got you, you were four years old.  A few silly behaviours then were to be expected.  You are now six, but there are days when you behave as though you're two!

Please do let me clarify a few things for you:
-The chickens at the bottom of the hill do not eat horses.  No, really, they don't!  Especially not the bantam!   :facepalm:
-The pigeons tend to rustle in that bush EVERY time we go past it.  That is not a reason for jumping 3 feet into the air and snorting!
-I appreciate that the housebuilding means that there are lots of odd noises, but I guarantee that they will not come out and attack you with the saw they're using.
-The poor woman washing her car didn't need you freezing, snorting and trying to gallop off.  She wasn't planning to wash you off alongside the car, I promise!  And even if she had, water will not kill you!
-The dog that came up to the gate is the yard dog at the yard.  It lives there same as you do.  You see it every single day.  It is not a good reason to leap in the air and refuse to go near the gate!   :o

My dear boy, I love you dearly, but you do make me work hard some days!   ::-)

Mrs Mike thinks Giles might be related to her Rory, who is also terrified of purple flowers.  Thankfully he's finally got over his phobia of daffodils (aged 12)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #563 on: 17 August, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »
Given all that, it's hardly surprising when they get a bit freaked by funny-shaped bicycles.   :facepalm:
Or drain covers.  I know horses are dumb, but drain covers?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #564 on: 17 August, 2011, 04:08:49 pm »
You can't walk a horse on drain covers.  Metal shoes+metal drain covers+long spindly legs+650 kgs of horse=disaster!  If the horse has slipped on one, he's going to be sodding careful in the future.

Mind you, my old horse was frightened of the road changing colours.  Made for a very interesting ride if it had been raining and the ground was in the process of drying...

"oh my god it's dark"

"oh my god, it's gone light again"

He also jumped chevrons and "SLOW" writing in the road.   :facepalm:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #565 on: 17 August, 2011, 04:45:52 pm »
A friend worked with a pony who would jump at the site of squirrels or plastic bags.  Some times she would stop dead at a puddle - other times she'd stomp through them like a small child.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #566 on: 17 August, 2011, 08:11:51 pm »
Reading the last few posts I guess my grumble is I can't afford to start riding lessons again. T'was good fun.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #567 on: 18 August, 2011, 02:32:34 am »
Fly, it's been two days now - shove off or you'll soon be meeting the newspaper of deth
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #568 on: 18 August, 2011, 07:57:52 am »
Council.  I realise that your waste collection priorities lie with the degradable and festering waste, and the simple wastepaper can sit around a bit.  But your paper collection van has missed our street on two consecutive fortnights.  I don't see the local pizza place flyers, the supermarket 'special offers' adverts, the free newspapers and the rest of the torrent of junk slowing in its assault on my letterbox, so I'd appreciate you collecting some of this valuable raw material before it builds up to the level at which I'm going to need planning permission to put it out for collection.

(This was going to be a rant, but it's only paper, FFS.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #569 on: 18 August, 2011, 10:07:56 am »
Little Miss AWL: I have just had two hours of "fun" tidying up your room in your absence. I would never have believed that such a small child could accumulate such volumes of junk & tat. I have reduced this to manageable levels and the carpet is now visible, albeit with a healthy sprinkling oh Hama beads that will be sucked up when I vacuum after I have recovered.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #570 on: 18 August, 2011, 10:44:39 am »
Helldesk system, why oh why are you so shit?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #571 on: 18 August, 2011, 05:14:52 pm »
Why is it that inner tubes (well, Schwalbe 406-sized at least) have the friggin' moulding seam right in the middle of the tread centre, where you're gonna get punctures and where they're a bugger or impossible to fix as a result. Ok, I could be cynical and suggest an answer...

(remains to be seen whether some careful paring-away with a razor blade has done the trick or not...)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #572 on: 18 August, 2011, 06:17:20 pm »
Mr R is grumbling.

We did a life expectancy test.  Despite me answering absolutely honestly about being overweight, smoing, drinking etc...

...my life expectancy is 5 years more than his  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #573 on: 18 August, 2011, 07:12:41 pm »
Surely that's entirely or mostly down to his profession?  (everyone knows doctors lie)

Jakob

« Reply #574 on: 18 August, 2011, 07:54:18 pm »
We're in the process of applying for Permanent Residency here in Canada, which inevitably involves a lot of paper work, including criminal records from every country we've lived in since we were was 18.
- New Zealand : send a single page form and they'll send the result directly to immigration services. Cost: Nothing
- Denmark: send an email and specify what language I want the record in. Cost: Nothing
- Korea: Get relative to pick up a copy from the local police station. Cost: Nothing.
- UK: Send a 9 page document, including 2 passport photos endorsed by a professional. Also pay 35 pounds for processing and 7 pounds shipping.

Having said that, the S-I-L only got a photocopy of the Korean one and we need the original.

I take it back. After some investigation, it turns out that the original just looks like a photocopy and we got the right one after all!