Author Topic: Outlook runing high CPU  (Read 1290 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Outlook runing high CPU
« on: 26 September, 2019, 11:02:51 pm »
Any solutions (apart from don't use Outlook, obvs)?

Running now current versions via office365 subscription

Re: Outlook runing high CPU
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2019, 09:44:24 pm »
This is where the general product category of Digital Experience Monitoring, or EUEM (End User Experience Monitoring) can really help. Sadly they're not that well aimed at the single consumer, but things like Nexthink and Aternity (and maybe Tanium) will give you chapter and verse on what's going on under the hood, and mostly in very friendly HCIs too.

I'm afraid I only really know of them from the enterprise level, so I'm going to struggle to to recommend a way of poking around yourself, short of chasing all your binaries and processes in task manager. Even then you'd want sufficient expertise to alter your build state if you found something.

Only solution I can think of is if your company runs something like this on its corporate network and allows BYOD. 'Course, this is a desktop isn't it?
Cruzbike V2k, S40

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2019, 03:13:33 pm »
ISTR from years ago when I used Outlook or supported other people using it that there were some "traps" with normal use

For example, if you just keep all your old emails in one massive folder - Outlook loads all the headers into RAM leading to poor system performance

Keeping all the emails in one folder means it's easier to search them.  Also, this happens by default - if you don't move them into folders by month or topic or something this is what will happen

So probably you are just doing something like that which is killing the computer

Apart from "don't use outlook" the other option is to buy a super fast powerful machine with oodles of memory

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2019, 12:48:31 pm »
You deserve a super lovely PC, but also get rid of all the clutter in your inbox. Save the important stuff, delete the rest. Subfolders in your inbox are not filing, convenient though they may be :(
I'd recommend exporting everything that's over a year old to .pst or something and then deleting them from your inbox. See how often you need to refer back.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2019, 05:42:24 pm »
Personally I'm getting very fed up with Office365 getting greedier and greedier as its constant auto-upgrades seem to outpace the rate at which I am allowed to upgrade my computer at work.  While other bits of Office (like Word and Excel) don't work so well online, I've ditched outlook as an application that sits on my actual hard-drive.  In fact I've found it works marginally better through a web-browser these days (for me at least - I've had the hard-drive sitting version fail to open attachments when they've been fine online...).
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:42:26 pm »
Have you tried fitting an external heatsink? My wife has fitted one of these to her cranky work Dell Lenovo.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2019, 10:49:37 am »
I've found that that sort of heatsink is excellent... right up to the moment it wakes up and marches across the keyboard and then goes back to sleep between your hands and the keyboard with their tail in your face.  :-D ::-) :-*
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:06:56 am »
She hates my Macbook because it doesn't generally squirt out warm air. However, anything with a fan, she's right in there to soak up the maximum CPU-generated heat.