Author Topic: The madison.  (Read 1272 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
The madison.
« on: 27 March, 2010, 04:35:50 pm »
Could somebody please explain it because the missus and me are flummoxed. :-[
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Re: The madison.
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2010, 04:42:43 pm »
I don't know what it is either but I do like the go slow go fast trackstand race.  :P

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2010, 04:42:59 pm »
Teams of two riders each. Only one rider of each team is actually competing at one time. They change over by slinging the new rider into the race. The non competing riders circulate above the blue line until they drop down to be slung in by their partner.

Every so many laps is a sprint, points on the line. Final sprint is on finish line. Race is won by team with most points.

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »
"Race is won by team with most points."

Of those which have gained a lap(s), surely?
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2010, 08:27:48 pm »
"Race is won by team with most points."

Of those which have gained a lap(s), surely?
yes, I was omitting the complexities,just wanted to point out that unlike alot of races, it's not first past the post that wins. I shan't bother trying to be helpful, let people Google it for themselves instead.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »
Cav & Hayles famously one with no points at all! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2010, 09:01:21 pm »
I think one should start by understanding the Point Race first, then try and understand the complexity of having a whole second set of riders resting at any one time and variously being brought into the race on an ongoing basis.

At a live event, the main marshall usually points to the race leader every lap, so that can help enormously when one is flummoxed.

It was such a pity that Team GB didn't field anyone.  JT, Mrs JT and I got to talk to Graeme Obree, who thought that bringing in Rob Hayles and someone else just for the Madison would have helped a lot in a PR sense and boosted team morale whether they won a medal or not.