Author Topic: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013  (Read 72934 times)

andyp

• Andrew Preston
Re: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013
« Reply #275 on: 22 April, 2013, 11:14:47 am »
Mr S, our esteemed organiser, has already published a link to Porkers GPX files and larger format route sheets - see page 8 of this thread for details, link is:-

http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Porkers2013.html

I suggest we look at those files first!

Shawn and i did a route check of the first 230km on Saturday and there's a couple of tweaks required to the GPX of the Wellington>Corscombe stage.

I can report that the new route is more different than I thought and is (as ever) beautifully crafted: Shawn has chosen roads that are just as quiet but are generally wider, better surfaced, and easier to navigate for the Wellington/Corscombe stage, and the Corscombe>Winterborne Whitchurch stage too.

They have quite a lot more climbing than the perm route, as does the stage north from Winterborne Whitechurch (which we didn't do at the weekend), although the trip up/down/over the top of salisbury plain is gone and there is a short respite along the Wylie Valley before heading south across the familiar (steep) valleys.

...so there's more ascent, but it'll be easier to ride in groups, and the descending isn't as tricky. It's a challenge!  :)

Our track (with detour to Taunton Deane) is http://app.strava.com/activities/49878698

Effort was required to get ahead of minimum speed all the way from Beaminster to our exit from the route beyond Corscombe - so if you know you're not fast on the hills, and might want rest in the night, then it'd make sense to stick with a bunch to Portland to build up a buffer, and limit time spent at Portland Bill and Beaminster (beyond taking on enough food to sustain you).

...see you at the Corscombe control (which is on the hill, not at the bottom) sometime between midnight and 4am.

andrew.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #276 on: 22 April, 2013, 11:39:52 am »
Spiffy!

:P

H

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #277 on: 22 April, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »
Shawn and i did a route check of the first 230km on Saturday and there's a couple of tweaks required to the GPX of the Wellington>Corscombe stage.

Is a tweaked stage file going to be made available 'officially'?   ???
Or will somebody volunteer to do this for the greater good of (GPS-enabled) Porkers-kind?
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #278 on: 22 April, 2013, 12:29:45 pm »
Andy,

Thanks for the update and advice. I'm pleased to hear that some of the route will be on wider, better surfaced , and easier to navigate lanes than last year's perm ride, as I found some of the descents on poor roads to be the least enjoyable moments last year. but I'm not sure how the extra climbing adds up, as the overall total is much the same as last year? Maybe the extra is compensated for the 'Salisbury saving, and other saving,'you mention?

In any case, I intend to get out in the Surrey Hills next weekend to ''warm -up,'' after a lazy birthday weekend just passed....
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #279 on: 22 April, 2013, 01:19:10 pm »
Is a tweaked stage file going to be made available 'officially'?   ???
Or will somebody volunteer to do this for the greater good of (GPS-enabled) Porkers-kind?

i expect so.

- i forgot to mention, as with the hardboiled, for those whose GPS have a 'track point limit' the files need to be downsampled to 500 points before putting on to etrex (and probably other) machines.

the only road surface warning is for the lane that runs parallel to the north of M5 heading towards Wellington: it has a thick covering of fine grey grit that looks like road in the light from an LED, but has none of the same traction you'd normally expect... giving that wonderfully unnerving 'floating' feeling that only sand can give.

andrew

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #280 on: 22 April, 2013, 01:28:44 pm »
really looking forward to another Michelin starred cordon bleu serving of 'Wessex' from our master chef Mr Shaw  :thumbsup:  ....although tempered with certain amount of trepidation ...afterall I still have post traumatic flash-backs to the Wu'ze  :o  ;D
appearing in a tea room near you

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #281 on: 22 April, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »
oh ...and forgot to say ....Crockerton (the camper van control) is the village I was born in  :thumbsup:.  Hopefully the homecoming party won't ditract us from the task in hand  ;)
appearing in a tea room near you

Hummers

« Reply #282 on: 22 April, 2013, 01:58:52 pm »
Yes, given the last few weeks, I expect to be marvellously unfit for this ride and to suffer miserably - yet with a cheery attitude as always .   O:-)

H

« Reply #283 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »
Thanks for the info about the GPS files gents, will be watchfully waiting for a finished product :p

And I received my entry confirmation in the post, It looks brilliant!

Really looking forward to this, I must not fully understand the amount of climbing involved...

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #284 on: 23 April, 2013, 09:06:09 pm »
Porkers GPS file on the website has been updated with the findings from last weekend.

http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Porkers2013.html

Enjoy!  :thumbsup:

Reg.T

« Reply #285 on: 23 April, 2013, 11:04:34 pm »
Haven't looked at the files yet, but from the sizes and datestamps it looks like the old versions are still there just now  ???

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #286 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:06:27 am »
Haven't looked at the files yet, but from the sizes and datestamps it looks like the old versions are still there just now  ???

They are the old versions. The md5 hashes of each of the files in the zip remain unchanged.
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

WyOwyvern

« Reply #287 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:48:45 am »
Within zip file downloaded from http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Porkers2013.html please find file> porkers2013-04.gpx <. This replaces old file. It would seem that keeping the old file name was problematical as the deleted old file was still being called from cache or some such tripe. :facepalm:

Thanks RegT and Plodder for feedback.

Enjoy and apologies for the delay. :thumbsup:

Reg.T

« Reply #288 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:47:06 am »
Got it now. Cheers.  :thumbsup:

WyOwyvern

« Reply #289 on: 29 April, 2013, 07:25:41 am »
Porkers route check completed and no further changes to GPS or route sheet to report. :thumbsup:
After the ascent to Alfred's Tower the impression was 'all downhill' to Wylye. :smug:
Enjoy your ride! 8)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #290 on: 29 April, 2013, 07:26:47 am »
Fabulous.

Looking forward to it as long as I shake this cold off before the big event!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #291 on: 29 April, 2013, 12:40:30 pm »
Fabulous.

Looking forward to it as long as I shake this cold off before the big event!
+1, looking forward to the challenge, but I also have a cold, so the planned warm-up ride in the Surrey Hills didn't happen, (but some gardening, loading of GPX routes, bike cleaning and maintenance, etc , did happen, (not to mention a  real ale and guitar playing open mic evening) :)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Hillbilly

« Reply #292 on: 29 April, 2013, 01:25:10 pm »
A week today and it should be all over and done with  :D

Been looking forward to the Porkers since it was announced it was going to be in the 2013 calendar.  I believe if I were in a street dance battle, I'd be waggling my fingers in a come hither manner and intoning "Bring it" before "laying down some sweet moves" (as Napoleon Dynamite might add).

Hummers

« Reply #293 on: 29 April, 2013, 01:41:48 pm »
I am also looking forwards to the Wimbledon evening this Tuesday with LaidBackRich. Pete Mas and many others to review our individual progress, individually.

:P

H

WyOwyvern

« Reply #294 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:27:58 pm »
Brimstone route is available from website http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Brimstone2013.html  :thumbsup:

:( Following the general outlay of the Hellfire permanent route there are deviations which should please all but the die hard AAA pts chasers as this has resulted in an award of 7.75 AAA pts. Half a point less than advertised.  :'(

:-\ Also to keep the flavour of the original Brimstone 11 infos become necessary for those who like to go point to point courtesy of integrated circuit boards. ;)

:hand: One control has yet to confirm so please treat the pdf as 'subject to change' for now. :hand:

O:-) Happy bed-time reading.  ::-) Pleasant dreams :demon:

Hummers

« Reply #295 on: 01 May, 2013, 12:08:45 am »
Announcement.

We will be meeting at the Shah of Persia for a lunchtime refreshment prior to the off.

H

Hummers

« Reply #296 on: 01 May, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »
Announcement.

We will be meeting at the Shah of Persia for a lunchtime refreshment prior to the off.

H

Noting the of this post (and having also communicated with my wheelman, Postie) I may have been a trifle over exuberant and excitable when I posted the above.  :-[

We are riding down from Pompey so a noon meet up may be too early.

H

Hummers

« Reply #297 on: 04 May, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »
Arrangements set.  :thumbsup:

Am meeting up with Postie at 9am tomorrow morning outside Cosham library for a 100k meander down to Poole.

Will see you all tomorrow afternoon at the start.

Pip pip.

H

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #298 on: 04 May, 2013, 07:02:34 pm »
shopping for the Corscombe control just done... we'll be serving chicken soup and vegetable soup, bread and rolls to go with it and/or make cheese/peanut butter/nutella sandwiches. we'll also have some cereal, tea, coffee, chocolate and homemade cake etc. :)

...for those without GPS: the radio mast on the route sheet after south perrott isn't lit, it's just there on the left, a big black silhouette - the 1st left after it is also signed Corscombe, but it's 2nd left you want: the village hall is on the left as you descend on a fairly steep section, just after the junction on the corner.

Andrew.

Hummers

« Reply #299 on: 04 May, 2013, 09:52:13 pm »
Cheers Andy  :thumbsup:

Will hopefully see you first thing Monday morning.

H