Linked Events

• The mid-Essex yacf chapter 2013 Christmas Do! Open to all by: 07 December, 2013 - 08 December, 2013

Author Topic: The mid-Essex yacf chapter 2013 Christmas Do! Open to all by the way!  (Read 26222 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The mid-Essex yacf chapter 2013 Christmas Do! Open to all by the way!
« Reply #200 on: 07 December, 2013, 12:15:29 am »
Have fun all! I shall be thinking of you whilst I am hobnobbing with Mr. Kasparov tomorrow.

Actually I'm rather looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with Welsh International Debbie Evans... :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #201 on: 07 December, 2013, 01:15:58 am »
bugger me - I appear to have inexplicably1 finished packing about an hour earlier than any previous year.

---
1. actually - it's probably perfectly explicable - I have missed a bunch of stuff I usually pack,
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #202 on: 07 December, 2013, 07:35:16 am »
Blimey Wow, I'm impressed, I didn't know you knew any cosmonauts! 

"Fly me to the moon ..."

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #203 on: 07 December, 2013, 07:47:01 pm »
I met Oscar's Dad & Huggy Rudolph at Witham station just before 9.30 am for the ride up to D's Dinner. That gave us just enough time to go via the tat shop for me to get some tinsel & other bits of tat for the bike & a sneaky pint in the 'Spoons in Witham. Oaky turned up in the 'Spoons, along with a Christmas tree attached to his bike.

We then cycled to D's. I lost my disco ball. We had fried stuff for breakfast & then set off on the ride. We got a lot of positive attention from car drivers, esp. Rudolph. After North Hill there was a break in the ranks as half the party couldn't be bothered cycling all the way to the summit, so snuck off to a pub. Those of us we managed to get to the summit of North Hill tried in vain to find a pub that would serve before noon. Eventually we ended up in The Three Compasses in West Hanningfield and a bit late Ruldopl et al. cycled pasted the pub. Somehow they recognised our bikes parked outside, so also stopped for an energy drink.

Oscar's Dad was a bit unsure what the plan was, but we eventually figured we needed to be at the White Hart for 2 pm, which we managed. More beer was had. The two ladies serving us (Izzy & another who's name I forgot) put up with us very well. We left before we were kicked out. I then headed off to Ingastone station and the rest carried on to The Compass in Littley Green.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #204 on: 07 December, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »
It was Jody, how can you forget her!

I'm home, photos etc tomorrow.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #205 on: 07 December, 2013, 09:34:00 pm »
It was Jody, how can you forget her!

Ah, yes. Jody the Brazilian ;).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

bloomers100

« Reply #206 on: 07 December, 2013, 09:47:35 pm »
Haha, photos later.

You guys are such fun - the banter really is top grade! But then its so easy when you've got a bloke with pigtails wearing a mankini drinking a gin.

xx

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #207 on: 08 December, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »
Well, I would have thought that they should have been home by now. Or are the entire bunch so pissed after their alcohol-free November that they can't find their way home?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #208 on: 09 December, 2013, 08:18:33 am »
The camping Withamites did indeed return home, and then assembled in The White Hart (Witham this time, although there was more waitress fun) with WAGs and young people for Sunday lunch.

I for one will post my photos etc over the next day or two as real life allows.

It was a great Christmas Do  :thumbsup:

« Reply #209 on: 09 December, 2013, 11:00:59 am »
I was beginning to wonder if you were all still at the Compasses. Had a quick look at the newspaper headlines this morning just in case there were any 'Mankini man held by police in reindeer gang bang saga'.
Also had visions of Oaky being found under a bush wearing only his Dr Seuss erection hat with extreme hypothermia and his arms around a polypin of Bishops Nick.
Glad you all got home safely. Great day out.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #210 on: 09 December, 2013, 11:28:03 am »
The mankini (seen here on Saturday morning) ...

... looked a bit worse for wear by the time I got it home so is now heading for landfill.  Not sure whether I should of investigated recycling it.

« Reply #211 on: 09 December, 2013, 01:28:09 pm »
Forgot to ask. Did OD sleep with his trophy over the weekend like other top winner do?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #212 on: 09 December, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »
Forgot to ask. Did OD sleep with his trophy over the weekend like other top winner do?

The closest I got to sleeping with the trophy was sharing a tent with it on Saturday night.  It's still in it's box in the garage along with all my other gear which is slowly getting sorted through, cleaned and packed away.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #213 on: 10 December, 2013, 05:05:33 am »
Last Wednesday evening, whilst in the Indian Ocean, Witham's finest Indian restaurant, Oaky announced that he and Huggy would meet at my house at 0845hrs on Saturday for brandy but no food (he was very clear on this point).  After which we would ride to the station, pick up αdαmsκι, pop into Wetherspoon's for a quick pint and meet the rest of the crowd at D's Diner.

As the clock struck 0845hrs on Saturday some very fine cognac was warming nicely:

Pretty much on time Huggy appeared, dressed as a reindeer, I poured him a coffee and we waited for Oaky ... the cognac started to cool down ... we waited some more ... we got bored and began talking about pensions.  Eventually, at approximately 0915hrs I phoned Oaky to find he was still at home.  He had completely forgotten about his carefully considered plan  :facepalm:

Huggy and I downed the now cold cognac and cycled to the station for the obligatory chat with a nutter.  I took some photos after he had shuffled off:

Like the shopkeeper in Mr Benn αdαmsκι appeared having caught an earlier train.  Oaky had yet to appear so we decided to intercept him on route.  For reasons best known to himself αdαmsκι had failed to decorate himself or his bike so was frog marched into the 99p Store to rectify matters.  We then carried on to 'spoons where festive pints were purchased.  Again Oaky was phoned, he was at the station, but made it to the pub shorty after.

Huggy cut a fine dash in The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny and looked super cool:

Pints drunk it was off to D's; along the way many cars tooted their appreciation of our decorations.  There was quite a crowd at the diner:

Fast broken it was on the road, destination The Mighty North Hill.  Some of us carried camping gear so were a little slower.  The campers were the only riders who had GPS devices so knew our exact route.  The weight weenies dashed up TMNH and carried on to Danbury.   The campers followed our prescribed route turning left at the top of TMNH as our next stop was The Hurdlemakers.  Shortly before we got there our phones started receiving calls and texts.  The weight weenies were lost and couldn't find an open pub.  Ha!, tough titties!   The Hurdlemakers was open and in we piled:

The sharper eyed amongst you will note that Geoffrey was a sensible chap and stuck with the people that knew where we were going.

We found the rest of the ride in The Three Compasses, West Hanningfield:

Amazingly I managed to get 15 or so semi pissed blokes out of the pub and back on the road as we had to be at Tiger's Island for 1400hrs.  We got there to find our tables reserved and waiting:

NB: this plaque was later presented to me as a souvenir by one of our number who was until very recently a serving police officer  ::-)   :o

We had a super meal, drank lots of beer, some gin and tonic and some merlot:

The waitresses Lucy, Issy and the lovely Jody coped admirably with the banter.  Oaky showed off his indoor Christmas hat:

... and grew ear hair in front of our very eyes:

Flatbar Steve turned up as did christophe.  Jeffrey could not manage his lunch so it was wrapped up.  I think the plan was to leave it on his doorstep later:

Darkness had fallen by the time we set off again.  We stopped off at the Three Elms and then made it to the Compasses where tents were erected, Huffers and assorted other grub was eaten and of course beer drunk. 

I was presented with the MEMWNS Annual Trophy (I'm not worthy but thanks anyhow):

Then it was off to bed, but not before some Horlicks:

I slept well but awoke early thanks to birds and the jets from Stansted.  In went earplugs and the next thing I knew it was 0845hrs again.  No cognac this time but breakfast and a pub garden full of wonky tents:

And that was it!  A splendid event, thanks to everyone for their company  :-*

It was decided that next year Oaky is organising the Christmas Do and christophe is wearing The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #214 on: 10 December, 2013, 06:19:12 am »
Nutters! Wish I could have been there.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #215 on: 10 December, 2013, 08:57:46 am »
Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny thread UPDATED.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #216 on: 24 December, 2013, 03:04:08 pm »
Does anyone have photos from this year's event?  If you don't know how to post them please e-mail them to me.  My e-mail address can be found by clicking on my profile.

bloomers100

« Reply #217 on: 24 December, 2013, 06:22:25 pm »
I have some I just haven't had time to post them I'll try to rectify this soon.