Poll

For how long & where are you generally getting bike exercise, during covid lockdown?

Not on the bike at all atm, exercising another way...
12 (3.1%)
Road < 1hr
24 (6.2%)
Road 1 - 1.5hrs
44 (11.4%)
Road 1.5 - 2hrs
32 (8.3%)
Road 2 - 3hrs
30 (7.8%)
Road 3hrs+
21 (5.4%)
Virtual <0.5hrs
2 (0.5%)
Virtual 0.5 - 1hr
8 (2.1%)
Virtual 1 - 1.5 hrs
10 (2.6%)
Virtual +1.5hrs
7 (1.8%)
Aiming for once a day
38 (9.8%)
A few times a week
44 (11.4%)
Twice a week or less
15 (3.9%)
Generally on roads only
48 (12.4%)
Mix of roads and virtual rides
11 (2.8%)
Mostly/ entirely at home on turbo / rollers
9 (2.3%)
No exercise.
7 (1.8%)
Something else...
9 (2.3%)
Off-road <1hr
5 (1.3%)
Off-road 1-2hrs
4 (1%)
Off-road 2-3hrs
1 (0.3%)
Off-road 3hrs+
1 (0.3%)
Mix of road / off road / virtual
5 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Poll: On the bike in lockdown?  (Read 8132 times)

Re: Poll: On the bike in lockdown?
« Reply #50 on: 12 May, 2020, 01:04:06 pm »
What is people's take on 'unlimited exercise' being permitted from Wednesday, if you live in England?   What does it mean for cyclists, and will this change your current lockdown riding regime?

I'm not in England, but as of yesterday we're allowed out multiple times a day to exercise. This means I might actually go on my bike sometimes - I've been just doing a daily walk or run so far. It will be nice to have the option of going for a walk and a bike ride on the same day.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #51 on: 12 May, 2020, 06:23:49 pm »
What is people's take on 'unlimited exercise' being permitted from Wednesday, if you live in England?   What does it mean for cyclists, and will this change your current lockdown riding regime?

I'm not in England, but as of yesterday we're allowed out multiple times a day to exercise. This means I might actually go on my bike sometimes - I've been just doing a daily walk or run so far. It will be nice to have the option of going for a walk and a bike ride on the same day.

Ditto, dog walker too - I have circles drawn on a map (10km, 20km and 30km radius around Dumfries) from the time I moved to the area and was looking at houses. Dragged it out again to investigates routes that keep me 'close to home' and may start venturing out 2 or 3 times a week soon. :)

« Reply #52 on: 13 May, 2020, 07:38:14 am »
I wonder how many of the people who are partaking in exercise (walking/cycling) during the
lockdown actually did any before the restrictions?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 13 May, 2020, 08:58:49 am »
I've been wondering the same. For myself, I cycled, obviously, but in lockdown I started (mild shudder) running (actually really enjoying it). Will this relate to a surge in gym usage at some point when they reopen? Or possibly also to a collapse in gym usage as people discover they can do these things on their own?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #54 on: 13 May, 2020, 09:52:07 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if gym use was by appointment when they are open again. Keeping the
2 metre physical distancerule would be difficult to adhere to; with some machines/stations
being out of use?

« Reply #55 on: 13 May, 2020, 09:59:08 am »
They might just re-arrange the furniture so that there are 2m between machines/stations and enforce some sort of 1 way system. I don't see how you can maintain a virus free environment though - if you are infectious you will be exporting the virus in your sweat, and unless everyone cleans all the machines each time they start/stop using them (with properly effective single use wipes), there is bound to be a transmission risk.
I don't know if swimming would be better - if chlorine kills the virus then all you need to worry about is the air you breathe and it's hard to get so close to someone when swimming as it is when cycling/walking. Changing areas on the other hand will pose the same risks as in the gym.

« Reply #56 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:15:53 am »
I paid for a year's membership of a council gym in September last year. Wonder if they'd
consider giving me some refund, or at least offering discounted membership in the future?
Must contact them when they reopen.

« Reply #57 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:23:53 am »
They might just re-arrange the furniture so that there are 2m between machines/stations and enforce some sort of 1 way system. I don't see how you can maintain a virus free environment though - if you are infectious you will be exporting the virus in your sweat, and unless everyone cleans all the machines each time they start/stop using them (with properly effective single use wipes), there is bound to be a transmission risk.
I don't know if swimming would be better - if chlorine kills the virus then all you need to worry about is the air you breathe and it's hard to get so close to someone when swimming as it is when cycling/walking. Changing areas on the other hand will pose the same risks as in the gym.

I am not convinced that the emboldened bit is correct.

« Reply #58 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:43:43 am »
I paid for a year's membership of a council gym in September last year. Wonder if they'd
consider giving me some refund, or at least offering discounted membership in the future?

Nuffield has suspended monthly payments.  I'd expect a council to have something about it on their website.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #59 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:48:24 am »

Nuffield has suspended monthly payments.  I'd expect a council to have something about it on their website.
The gym I am a member of offered options - 1. suspend payments/membership until re-opening, 2. Pay a minimal amount each month (think it was £5) and get a Les Mills online membership, 3. Continue paying as normal, get a Les Mills online membership and support them (they are a charity not a giant for-profit chain).
Whoever owned the gym I would expect at the least to be allowed to suspend my membership until they re-open.

ian

« Reply #60 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:50:48 am »
My council gym/pool offered to suspend my monthly direct debit (but as it's technically a charity, Freedom Leisure, they'd like me to continue). I left it in place less because I'm generous and more because my employers pay (there'd be some faff in stopping it and, as it's HR, they'd screw up the small amount of tax I pay on it).

(It's very unlikely you'd sweat SARS-CoV-2, it infects and replicates in the cells in your respiratory tract and gut, not epithelial or dermal cells.)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #61 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:58:34 am »
My gym also went the ‘nominal payment and Les Mills subscription’ route, though I haven’t actually been online to look at Les Mills. As for cycling, though the new rules explicitly allow exercise multiple times a day, and to go as far from home as you want, I am quite happy with the amount I’m doing now (riding 2-4 times a week for 1-2 hours) and won’t be increasing it.

« Reply #62 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:09:22 am »
In an update on their website, they offered to extend the membership of all those who have
paid in advance by two months.

At the end of my 12 week home isolation I suspect the NHS will update me on whether I should
or should not consider staying at home (I'm not getting vitamin D). If I get the "green light"
I'll be trying to make up for those lost miles. :-)

[Edit: In response to my email they've said that every week not allowed to use their facilities
will be added to the membership] :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:49:38 am »
My gym suspended all memberships. I'm missing it; I just don't have the motivation to do stuff on my own.

« Reply #64 on: 13 May, 2020, 01:11:23 pm »

Local council gym (Wandsworth borough, through Places for People [or is it People for Places]) suspended gym/swimming memberships and stopped taking direct debits.

Whatever you had left from the current month when the place closed would be added on to the month when it opened and then DD would start up again.

I definitely miss the local pool, the Wattbikes in the gym, and the spinning classes (on Stages bikes). Can't wait for it to re-open.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #65 on: 13 May, 2020, 02:09:31 pm »
(It's very unlikely you'd sweat SARS-CoV-2, it infects and replicates in the cells in your respiratory tract and gut, not epithelial or dermal cells.)
I was reading that it was also replicating in blood vessel walls, hence a big increase in clots and stuff. From what I understand, that's where all the plasma for your sweat comes from?

I miss the gym because that was where I could do my physio mandated exercises. Right now I can ride my bike but not lift, so all the work I put into my squats and deadlifts has been wasted. :( I installed the Les Mills app because I wanted to do it with my daughter, but she turned her nose up, so I've just been riding the turbo (she will ride next to me on her bike for about 15 minutes, but then she gives up - I don't know if that's boredom, tiredness or just lazyness!).

ian

« Reply #66 on: 13 May, 2020, 03:23:56 pm »
You don't sweat plasma, so you are safe. From what I've read, the reported issue with blood clots is a relatively rare immune outcome in most infections (it even has a name, infection-induced thrombosis) – the immune response triggers a coagulation cascade. Arterial and venous epithelial cells do have ACE-2 receptors, but I don't think they're major sites of infection.

I miss the swimming pool. I find the exercise bike and rowing machine a bit of a daily slog (mitigated to a degree by consuming podcasts). Be glad when I can do my daily swim again.

« Reply #67 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:56:29 pm »
I miss the swimming pool. I find the exercise bike and rowing machine a bit of a daily slog (mitigated to a degree by consuming podcasts). Be glad when I can do my daily swim again.

I've got Swim Serpentine (only the 2 mile version this year thank $DEITY) in September and Marathon Swim 10k in November.

From history I know that it only takes me a couple of months for my swimming fitness to desert me; to the point that I could only do 400m first time back in the pool after the last break.

The 10k can be postponed to a later date as it's indoor. Swim Serpentine can't be postponed (except by rolling over entries to the year after) as there's a real risk the water will be too cold (under 13.5 deg C and you the halve the distances and also get a lot stricter on max times. Under 15 deg C a wetsuit is mandatory - which is fine as I normally do outdoor swims in them, but as I was not doing any outdoor swimming in pre a few years ago I found 15.1 deg C water bloody cold one year.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ian

« Reply #68 on: 13 May, 2020, 05:07:13 pm »
I got the rowing machine in the hope that it will keep my upper body strength reasonable. We'll see if I sink to the bottom of the pool when it reopens. I realise I've been swimming daily without a significant break for about fifteen years (it was the first thing I did when I decided to stop being Sheriff Fatman and I think on that first occasion, I did go straight to the bottom*). It was swimming that I can credit with getting me back on the bike, as it was twenty minutes each way to the Ladywell Pool, so I thought what the hell, why don't I cycle there in five minutes. That probably took a few more minutes, it turns out that they call it Hilly Fields for a reason.

*I used to swim at university, but that I had a nasty accident and spent several years putting some serious effort into getting fat.