Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333369 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #500 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:34:26 pm »
I'm liking "How We Got To Now with Steven Johnson".  Series of five; 1-4 available on iPlayer with the last one broadcast on BBC2, 19:30, March 14th.  Originally made for PBS so somewhat US-centric but contains some interesting historical Stuffs.  Previous eps have been "Clean", "Time", "Cold" and "Light", with "Sound" still to come.

+1

In many ways it's the US-centricity that's making it interesting.  Any self-respecting BRITON is familiar with Bazalgette's sewers, John Snow's pump and so on, but the wholesale jacking up of Chicago to bodge a sewage network in underneath was news to me.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #501 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:33:09 pm »
I knew about Chicago but thought it had happened about forty years later than it actually did.  Didn't know about the Thermo-King bloke though.

Now watching "Light".  Mr Johnson in the bath :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #502 on: 15 March, 2015, 06:23:45 pm »
Recorded some top Nonsense off More4 last night.  Bombers!  Cold War Paranoia!  Conspiracy Theories!  Marilyn Monroe!  Nazis!  The Scorching Plains of New MexicoTM!  Three Letter Agencies!  UFOs!

Only Elvis is missing so far.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #503 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:39:35 pm »
Poo!  It was a baby marmoset.  Not a chupacabra at all :(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #504 on: 07 April, 2015, 12:21:29 am »
Been binge watching Better Call Saul the last couple of nights. Final episode in the series tomorrow. Can't wait. It's bloody brilliant.

I was a bit sceptical initially, imagining the only point of interest would be finding out how Jimmy McGill becomes Saul Goodman, but in fact it definitely stands up in its own right - you could watch it without having seen Breaking Bad.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hillbilly

« Reply #505 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:32:28 pm »
Inside no. 9 is back, 10PM tonight. The first series was a bit hit and miss, but included the brilliant A Quiet Night In, so hopefully there are some gems to be had in series 2.

I missed that this had come back.  Thank goodness for iPlayer.  Two episodes in and your description in the 2nd sentence still seems apt.  Sheridan Smith is one hell of an actress though (#2). 

But I'd rather have a dozen of these than the latest "Generic US comedy" which clogs up the comedic arteries of the other public service broadcaster in the UK.

« Reply #506 on: 10 April, 2015, 06:34:44 pm »
Talking about picture quality, why did the recent re-showing of Smiley's People look so terrible?  It was shot on film.  Rather than show what-looked like an ancient video tape conversion, couldn't the Beeb have been arsed to make a remaster from the original film?  Or is the original film lost or crap, too?

There have been complaints about the Blu-ray version as well.

I've the DVD of it.  It's not great but I didn't find it awful.  I guess they must used a VHS tape.
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #507 on: 10 April, 2015, 07:35:12 pm »
Inside no. 9 is back, 10PM tonight. The first series was a bit hit and miss, but included the brilliant A Quiet Night In, so hopefully there are some gems to be had in series 2.

I missed that this had come back.  Thank goodness for iPlayer.  Two episodes in and your description in the 2nd sentence still seems apt.  Sheridan Smith is one hell of an actress though (#2). 

But I'd rather have a dozen of these than the latest "Generic US comedy" which clogs up the comedic arteries of the other public service broadcaster in the UK.
Yes ^3 !  (although we've only watched the first one so far - which was a Curate's Egg, but an enjoyable one.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #508 on: 10 May, 2015, 12:25:35 am »
Advance warning: Dr Larrington tells me that that long-awaited distascope version of Susannah Clarke's most stout novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell starts next Sunday, May 17, 21:00, BBC1.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #509 on: 15 May, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »
Thursday night, BBC1.  Shark.

It's a natural history program about Sharks.

It's really quite stunning.

I bought a rather large LED TV a while back.  This program alone justified the purchase.

Let me know if there's is anything quite as majestic as a Great White Shark.  They really are magnificent aren't they?

Not sure if this was filmed in 4K 3D but I would really give anything to see it if it was.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #510 on: 16 May, 2015, 05:52:07 pm »
Last night's W1A:

I almost hate myself for noticing in the first 20 seconds that Ian Fletcher's Brompton had changed to a new model before it became a sub-plot.

I mentioned it before the point was made in the plot only to be told that I was a sad git. Things got even worse at the end when I pointed out the 3 diiferent types of handlebar on show  :facepalm: :facepalm:
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

« Reply #511 on: 16 May, 2015, 08:01:21 pm »
Last night's W1A:

I almost hate myself for noticing in the first 20 seconds that Ian Fletcher's Brompton had changed to a new model before it became a sub-plot.

You're not alone. Unfortunately Mrs Dan really dislikes W1A so I have to record it and watch it at strategic times.

I saw an interesting program (Garden Watch) on people that video the wildlife in their garden's the other day.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #512 on: 16 May, 2015, 08:41:23 pm »
I've tried watching W1A twice now but it comes across as a program made by, and for, BBC employees.

"The Office" was beautifully generic but this isn't my office environment at all and it doesn't have the bite of "The Thick of It".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #513 on: 17 May, 2015, 01:13:46 pm »
I think it's a programme for people who've ever had to work with marketing.  That it's set in the BBC is a minor act of genius, as it allows them to harness the inherent ridiculousness of new Broadcasting House.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #514 on: 17 May, 2015, 03:35:16 pm »
The problem with W1A is that it's presented for general viewers as satire, when in fact anyone who works with the BBC knows it is a documentary.  I have worked with, and/or had meetings with every one of those people.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #515 on: 17 May, 2015, 09:35:04 pm »
This ^^^^ was my problem with The Office.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #516 on: 20 May, 2015, 06:13:43 pm »
+1
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #517 on: 20 May, 2015, 06:45:54 pm »

I bought a rather large LED TV a while back.  This program alone justified the purchase. I justify the purchase by citing this program.

FTFY
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #518 on: 20 May, 2015, 07:56:11 pm »

I bought a rather large LED TV a while back.  This program alone justified the purchase. I justify the purchase by citing this program.

FTFY

I get the point but I actually justified the purchase using "Planet Earth" on BluRay.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #519 on: 20 May, 2015, 07:57:35 pm »
Is it just me or does anyone else play guess what the backing music will be to "Homes Under the Hammer"?

Property is in Winchester? - That'll be "Winchester Cathedral" - The New Vaudeville band.

Brass mirror on the wall? - "Brass in Pocket" - The Pretenders.

It actually makes an incredibly shit program rather watchable*

* Caveat.  It's quite possibly a cunning parody of a shit property program and I'm the only one not in on the joke.

To save you the time of watching the "grand reveal", try to imagine what the original shit-hole looks like painted magnolia and with some beige carpet. You won't be a million miles off.

Anyway.. it's worth watching if you play the guessing game.

« Reply #520 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:08:49 pm »
Has springwatch turned into a kids tv series?

I miss Oddie, Humble and King.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #521 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:19:46 pm »
I was thinking last night that there seems to be a dearth of actual wildlife watching on it these days.
You can keep Oddie though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #522 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »
There's definitely a lack of watching spring stuff.

Having said that, there's been more tonight. I just can't abide the constant childish chit-chat between the presenters, and don't start me on anthropomorphism, and stupid bloody names!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #523 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:56:37 pm »
Mrs B refuses to watch it since Cwis took over. She loathes him, & she was disgusted by what she saw as its transformation into a standard programme about presenters*, with the wildlife being a bit of background. She's never heard of the Goodies, but quite liked Bill Oddie on Springwatch, I think because he seemed to be interested in the creatures.

*Like anything with Nigel Marven or any of a host of others who she refuses to watch. She has been known to soothe herself by watching old David Attenborough wildlife programmes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #524 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:01:40 pm »
Mrs B refuses to watch it since Cwis took over. She loathes him, & she was disgusted by what she saw as its transformation into a standard programme about presenters*, with the wildlife being a bit of background. She's never heard of the Goodies, but quite liked Bill Oddie on Springwatch, I think because he seemed to be interested in the creatures.

*Like anything with Nigel Marven or any of a host of others who she refuses to watch. She has been known to soothe herself by watching old David Attenborough wildlife programmes.

Mrs B is correct about Bloddie. He was all for the wildlife on the series.