Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945069 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Guardian quick crossword, 8 across. I'm sure the compiler must be a forumite, it's not the the first time.

Clue should have been: "Bitch - unicorn without hooves"
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Guardian quick crossword, 8 across. I'm sure the compiler must be a forumite, it's not the the first time.

:D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

I was a bit slow on that one - my hippo must have left the campus.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
We have a chode road... :thumbsup:

The roads around here are awful (the county council Highways team are shite) and full of dangerous potholes.  Some enterprising person spent last night drawing chodes around a large number of the potholes on the main road through the village (and the village next door).

It wasn't me but as a Parish Councillor I applaud their community spirit.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Did they sign them 'Wanksy'?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wot Wowbagger said.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Ewwwwwww.  He made a full recovery, but ewwwwwww.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-68566096
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Eeeewwww indeed but not really news.
Tænia Solium featured on my A Level Biology syllabus in the 1970s and undergrad medical curriculum thereafter.

Return to Victorian values & diseases innit?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
He's in the USA so not Victorian but ante-bellum...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Great choice of picture to illustrate the story in the Guardian. Looks fucking terrifying.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/13/brain-tapeworms-undercooked-bacon
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Great choice of picture to illustrate the story in the Guardian. Looks fucking terrifying.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/13/brain-tapeworms-undercooked-bacon
Fuck!

Bad title though, the guy wasn't eating bacon, he was eating pork.

I suspect the chance of tapeworm contamination in bacon is quite small.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
The thread beow this one is "Ear Worms". A different path of transmission right there.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
“Well I'm just a modern guy
Of course I've had it in the ear before“
 – I Pop in 1977, yesterday
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
A FISE search came up with this result which made oi and Mrs P larf:

Quote from: FISE
Did that plane just make a whale sound?

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/schiphol-as-a-neighbour/blog/did-that-plane-just-make-a-whale-sound/

Beardy

• Shedist
No deliveries from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles today. This is a bummer because the JIT grocery procurement timetable used in the Beardy household means the cupboard is bare.

We might have to go down the garden and eat worms!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
[Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles] Stores remain open, accepting chip, pin and cash payments.

This is Not True, at least at my local outpost, as noted in the Hurrah/Bah thread.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

[Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles] Stores remain open, accepting chip, pin and cash payments.

This is Not True, at least at my local outpost, as noted in the Hurrah/Bah thread.

It was truish down the road from here - as noted, hi-vis doormen recommending a trip to the cash machine, but once inside, PAs saying contactless was broken but chip'n'pin was working for debit cards. (Occasionally that was modified to 'some' debit cards, without specifying further ...) SmartShop/ScanAndGo/ScanAndPack was broken too, so no personalised Nectar discounts for us.

Beardy

• Shedist
Thankfully our order of Toothy Comestibles arrived from Mr Sainsbury’s Emporium shortly aft er the end of the booked slot. The driver had a clipboard in place of their usual hand held terminal. They also said that they could do nothing for about two hours this morning, but some systems were now working.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Fat Boys for sale!   I’ve been here on a couple of Andrij’s rides. 

https://x.com/c20society/status/1770897650285490343
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Fat Boys for sale!   I’ve been here on a couple of Andrij’s rides. 

https://x.com/c20society/status/1770897650285490343
It has changed hands a couple of times since the last time I was a regular there.
It has never been the same since Joe (the proprietor) went back to Italy and took his pastrami and sauerkraut signature dish with him.

Lambeth Council have just refunded me £156.00 which I had overpaid on the Council Tax.
I last lived in Lambeth 21 years ago.  ::-)

Beardy

• Shedist
I’ve been around nurses and othe professional cares for most of my adult life and so I’m well aware of what makes them tick. But how they manage to be who they are in these surroundings is a modern miracle. I mean hospitals have never been places of unbridled joy (although maternity units tend towards that a lot of the time 😁) but this place* is one small step away from being derelict. It’s such a depressing atmosphere.

*Dr Beardy did her midwifery training here, all our children were born here and both our mothers died here so it’s a place of mixed emotions already for the Beardy clan.