Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627479 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11150 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:41:57 pm »
Why is there no direct rail connection to East Midlands Airport?  I've got to fly to Ireland for work on Wednesday and really don't want to have to leave my car at the airport parking...East Midlands Parkway is apparently a 15 minute bus journey from the terminal.  Anyone know what the bus fare is, though?

« Reply #11151 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:58:13 pm »
Not exactly what you asked, but there used to be (might still be) a coach service from Derby Station to EMA. Didn't take too long IIRC. Ah, still running: https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/services/skylinkderby/timetable
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11152 on: 10 June, 2019, 08:00:42 pm »
Why is there no direct rail connection to East Midlands Airport?  I've got to fly to Ireland for work on Wednesday and really don't want to have to leave my car at the airport parking...East Midlands Parkway is apparently a 15 minute bus journey from the terminal.

East Midlands Partway.  Clue's in the name.  Except when it's Ratcliffe-upon-Coal-Heap.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11153 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:45:12 am »
Wretched jeweller or one of his low-grade labourers managed to knock the seconds hand off my watch while replacing the battery. Not just that but the timer's minutes counter was knocked off the zero position and the date advanced by 6 days.  Missus picked it up for me Saturday afternoon & didn't notice.

Heading back there this morning with fire, brimstone & righteous wrath. If they come out with 'well it was like that to start with' There Will Be Blood.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11154 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:06:57 am »
Why is there no direct rail connection to East Midlands Airport?  I've got to fly to Ireland for work on Wednesday and really don't want to have to leave my car at the airport parking...East Midlands Parkway is apparently a 15 minute bus journey from the terminal.

East Midlands Partway.  Clue's in the name.  Except when it's Ratcliffe-upon-Coal-Heap.

Anything with "parkway" in the name should star klaxons blaring - Bristol Parkway anyone?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11155 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:09:23 am »
Lurgy, please go away.

Not only am I coughing up green alien goo blobs, but having trouble talking at anything more than a gravelly whisper.  Troubling for no1 daughter, amusing to clients and colleagues.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11156 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:17:19 am »
It's like late October out there.  Heating went on last night again, for the first time since turning off in the Spring...   :hand:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

« Reply #11157 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:22:32 am »
Indeed, there was a huge clanking of pipes in The Asbestos Palace yesterday evening which was, upon further inspection, not the usual outbreak of paranormal activity or a furry cataclysm, but a late-year agitation of the primary heating systems.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11158 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:26:05 am »

Anything with "parkway" in the name should star klaxons blaring - Bristol Parkway anyone?
The original and best! Well, original anyway. When Bristol Parkway was being built, so was the M32 motorway, which goes off the M4 into the city centre, and that was apparently known at the time as the Parkway cos it cut through Stoke Park. No one calls it the Parkway now, it's always known by its number like every other motorway, but apparently it gave its name to the station nearby. In fact the centre of gravity of Bristol has shifted north since both station and motorway were built, so its become a more useful station. They didn't know that back in the late 60s of course.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11159 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:31:11 am »

The original and best! Well, original anyway. When Bristol Parkway was being built, so was the M32 motorway, which goes off the M4 into the city centre, and that was apparently known at the time as the Parkway cos it cut through Stoke Park. No one calls it the Parkway now, it's always known by its number like every other motorway, but apparently it gave its name to the station nearby. In fact the centre of gravity of Bristol has shifted north since both station and motorway were built, so its become a more useful station. They didn't know that back in the late 60s of course.

That because you park 'way over there and get soaked walking to the trains?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11160 on: 11 June, 2019, 10:12:45 am »
I thought "Parkway" was just a BR replacement for the old GWR "Road" as a station-name suffix indicating you will actually be alighting from your train some miles from the settlement the station purports to serve.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11161 on: 11 June, 2019, 10:20:18 am »
BPW was a brand new station. Some of the "... Parkway" might have been old stations renamed (Didcot?) though I don't know that any of them were "... Road". There have been calls for others to be renamed, eg Ashchurch to be renamed Tewkesbury Parkway. Still best to read it as a typo, of course. (Didcot Tobago?  ;D)

« Reply #11162 on: 11 June, 2019, 10:29:49 am »
Cheers CAMRAMan and Kim.  I'm just going to do the £49 airport parking cos it's on expenses anyway, and it allows me to pick my son up from nursery on time when I get back on Thursday afternoon, which I'm not sure I'd be able to do if I catch the train back from East Mids to Uttoxeter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11163 on: 11 June, 2019, 10:38:45 am »
Wretched jeweller or one of his low-grade labourers managed to knock the seconds hand off my watch while replacing the battery. Not just that but the timer's minutes counter was knocked off the zero position and the date advanced by 6 days.  Missus picked it up for me Saturday afternoon & didn't notice.

Heading back there this morning with fire, brimstone & righteous wrath. If they come out with 'well it was like that to start with' There Will Be Blood.

And wouldn't you believe it the bloody jeweller's is closed until tomorrow. Shops here all close on Mondays so he moved Pentecost back a day.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11164 on: 11 June, 2019, 12:38:20 pm »

Parkway stations = car park and breezy bus shelter in general.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11165 on: 11 June, 2019, 12:57:50 pm »
Parkway stations = car park and breezy bus shelter in general.

And yet Bristol Parkway only comes second in the unofficial top 10 coldest stations list, beating Crewe by a solid margin but narrowly losing to Doncaster.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11166 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:00:39 pm »
I don't think I've ever caught a bus there but BPW's platforms are certainly exposed.

ian

« Reply #11167 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:11:10 pm »
Wivelsfield station isn't even in Wivelsfield. It's a crime.

And there's no such place as Upper Warlingham which is why the station is in Whyteleafe which, if there was any logical sense in the matter, would have at least stretched to being called Lower Warlingham as it really is a lot lower. Apparently it was prefixed Upper because Whyteleafe South station was called Warlingham despite it not being in Warlingham and really being Caterham North. Caterham Junction, on the other hand, had to be renamed Purley primarily because it's in Purley (which now has more settled vampires than Transylvania, but that's another story). Whyteleafe South is, of course, near to the Anne Summer's Dildo Proving Ground and it's rumoured that, late at night, you can hear the tremulous vibration of dysfunctional sex toys. It's like Area 51 but with more négligée.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11168 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:16:25 pm »
Bristol Parkway has been improved! It is still horrible.

It was even more dire 25 years ago.

It was a nightmare 35 years ago. Unsuccessful interviews at Southmead were followed by nightmare homeward journeys. (All while wearing posh clothes and thin tights; the freezing ankles have not been forgotten!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11169 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:30:40 pm »
Bristol Parkway has been improved! It is still horrible.

This review plagiarised from one of Mordor Central :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11170 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:06:45 pm »
I travelled from Brussels to STP on Eurostar yesterday, with the Pretty Bike. I was relived of 5 CO2 cannisters, three when I put my bar bag through the scanner and two taken from the saddle pack I'd put in the bike box.  I wouldn't have minded if I'd been warned I wasn't allowed to take them but there's no mention on the Eurostar website. No shooters, anti personnel mines or CS spray is made clear, but CO2, no.

I asked the Nice Man driving the scanner what the reason was. Apparently "there's a lot of pressure on the train". Uh huh. My oxometer* started twitching and I've grinked Eurostar. They says it's down to "Border control", which I take to mean Border Force but have said they'll forward my suggestion to their web team about actually having some words on the website that CO2 isn't allowed.

* detects bullshit. Obvs.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #11171 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:08:46 pm »
Watching this video about spot trackers while making a soup ahead of the trans pyrennean this October.

https://youtu.be/6jCMjOu2Ol0

These gizmos look like absolute shite. Can't get them wet at all or it's game over.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

essexian

« Reply #11172 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:11:07 pm »
I know the NHS is underfunded and all that but a two month wait to see a physio is somewhat excessive  :facepalm:

The idea of a further two months in pain is not something I like the idea of.  :'( 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11173 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:45:12 pm »
Watching this video about spot trackers while making a soup ahead of the trans pyrennean this October.

https://youtu.be/6jCMjOu2Ol0

These gizmos look like absolute shite. Can't get them wet at all or it's game over.

And don't - erm - lose - sniff - the - erm - screws or you - sniff - won't get your - sniff - erm - deposit back. The lassie should have used a script and snot-free voice-over.

Can you imagine staggering into a control soaking wet and shaking with cold and then having to deal with that chunk of pricey rubbish?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #11174 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:47:34 pm »
It's boiling my piss just thinking about it and I'm not even racing.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.