Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 93245 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #75 on: 31 July, 2020, 11:11:24 am »
A local yoof has recently acquired one and has taken to zooming up and down Larrington Gardens Road on it.  While cyclists are permitted to ride in both directions on LGR, it is one-way for motor vehicles and I rather wish he would stop doing it before he gets killed utterly to DETH by an inattentive moton/the polis come and arrest him with unnecessary violence and trigger a riot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #76 on: 06 August, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »
https://twitter.com/simonmacmichael/status/1291163027300130816/photo/1

Paris est plus parisien avec les e-scooteurs.

(no idea if Paris should be masculine or feminine or if the French really say "e-scooteur"... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 06 August, 2020, 03:16:01 pm »
There's probably a special made-up French word for them that nobody uses...

« Reply #78 on: 06 August, 2020, 05:47:32 pm »
Trotinette électrique

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #79 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:30:13 pm »
Disruption is not necessarily change.'
When micromobility companies like Lime and Bird rolled into cities around the world in 2018, they promised to revolutionise the way people move around. They dropped dockless bikes and e-scooters onto streets from the United States to New Zealand, asserting that the convenience offered by a shared vehicle that could be left anywhere would help usher people out of their cars and around their city centres.

But the system they vowed to disrupt has itself changed dramatically this year. People stopped moving around as the coronavirus spread, and their spending on transportation plummeted. Cars disappeared from streets virtually overnight, and support rose sharply for measures to keep it that way after cities reopen.

What’s playing out right now is nothing short of a transportation revolution – but somewhat unexpectedly, cities have a great deal of control over it. As they take urgent action to reshape their streets in an unusual moment, it’s clear that this change is possible without the micromobility industry that promised to make it happen.
Basically, bikeshare and similar schemes work better when the people in charge of them are the people in charge of the roads and so on, rather than a commercial enterprise.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #80 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:23:29 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #83 on: 17 August, 2020, 12:12:35 pm »
I'd love to see a similar write up about shenanigans involving cars on the average Middlesbrough weekend.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #84 on: 17 August, 2020, 01:42:33 pm »
I'm not sure the hire schemes are terribly relevant. Electric scooters are here, being ridden on the streets and occasionally through the shopping centres (which are often designated as streets anyway, even though pedestrianised). Buy one from your LBS, a dedicated shop or most likely online.

« Reply #85 on: 17 August, 2020, 04:11:33 pm »
The hire scheme "trials" are essentially a typical government fudge designed to let them accommodate the facts on the ground (as you say, they are here and being used illegally on the road and pavement), while trying to sound reasonable to the people who object. Eventually, they will just be a regular source of complaint for a certain segment of the population (much like those red light jumping cyclists who always ride on the pavement and terrorise the pedestrian, while simultaneously holding up traffic) while the rest of us just get on with things.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 17 August, 2020, 06:16:36 pm »
We might take inspiration from the Netherlands and end up with a three-tier system, where everyone hates BloodyCyclists and ScooterHooligans, but cyclists get to make themselves feel slightly better by looking down on the scooter users.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #87 on: 17 August, 2020, 06:17:29 pm »
We might take inspiration from the Netherlands and end up with a three-tier system, where everyone hates BloodyCyclists and ScooterHooligans, but cyclists get to make themselves feel slightly better by looking down on the scooter users.

And everyone looks down on fucking tourists...

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #88 on: 17 August, 2020, 06:19:12 pm »

J
But unlike the Netherlands, tourists don't come to Britain for fucking...  :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #89 on: 17 August, 2020, 06:24:14 pm »

Up, down, sideways and on a bad day behind, as anyone who's done the Parliament Square Slalom can attest.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #91 on: 04 September, 2020, 03:36:08 pm »
I look forward to them appearing in a nearby canal soon...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #92 on: 06 September, 2020, 07:54:12 pm »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/nhs-keyworker-told-electric-scooter-4481510
Bloke on electric scooter arrested, handcuffed, scooter to be destroyed, after he ducked under police tape. Long article, sounds like the bloke was a bit of a pillock but it does raise the Catch 22 legal situation (as described by police).

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #93 on: 06 September, 2020, 09:45:42 pm »
Sorry but no, it is not a catch 22 at all. Hire scooters are speed limited and insured. Privately owned scooters are neither.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #94 on: 06 September, 2020, 10:45:50 pm »
Plus "There was Police tape across the road, I had to duck and enter the incident scene to avoid breaking it"

What happened to riding at a speed at which you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #95 on: 07 September, 2020, 09:35:51 am »
Plus "There was Police tape across the road, I had to duck and enter the incident scene to avoid breaking it"

What happened to riding at a speed at which you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe?
Exactly. I think there's a story here which is, regardless of his vehicle, he was riding/driving like a moron.

« Reply #96 on: 07 September, 2020, 12:56:54 pm »
Quote from: Paraphrased
I was warned I was riding an illegal vehicle before, but carried on riding it. The second time I was stopped by the police (by riding into a scene of crime area) they confiscated my illegal vehicle.  Boo hoo, it's not fair.

And I love the "I'm a law abiding person" bit, attached to an entire story about how he's been knowingly riding an illegal vehicle for months.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #97 on: 08 September, 2020, 09:33:50 pm »
On my drive home from work the Worth Way (a disused railway now shared use path) crosses the road. As I approached it a mountain-looking bike and rider appeared from it on my right and turned onto the road I was driving on a little in front of me. I've done the very same move myself when I cycle to work.

The rider had fairly good road sense, good number of shoulder checks, avoiding the larger potholes, that sort of thing.  I eased off, as you do, as there was a bend coming up, poor sightlines, didn't want to crowd him. Then I realised he was going some and not pedaling. My speedo had him north of 35mph, nudging 40.  I surmised he's on an electrically powered bike of the not legal sort. Either a homebrew conversion or one that's been hacked.

I can't put my finger on what annoyed me, other than I'm a law abiding kind of bloke. Over there > are the various road laws and in front of me was a bloke who broke them. It's not a "what might happen to him if he slides down the tarmac in his shorts" thing. I'll get the same result if I overcook a corner going at R17 on a pedal or pedal and gravity powered bike.  He even slowed down when he entered the 30 limit and was riding sensibly, damn him.

I'd like to have got a closer look, but he got through the traffic and round a roundabout faster than I did.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #98 on: 10 September, 2020, 06:21:17 pm »
https://twitter.com/BhamUpdates/status/1304079688264871936

Wondering if I should go and try one before they end up in the canal...

ETA: I installed the app.  It seems that you're not allowed to leave them outside the Middleway.  So only any good for getting around the city centre.  Which is small enough to be walkable for most people, and utterly impenetrable east-west.  The scheme may fail without any help from the canals.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #99 on: 10 September, 2020, 06:32:29 pm »
https://twitter.com/BhamUpdates/status/1304079688264871936

Wondering if I should go and try one before they end up in the canal...

ETA: I installed the app.  It seems that you're not allowed to leave them outside the Middleway.  So only any good for getting around the city centre.  Which is small enough to be walkable for most people, and utterly impenetrable east-west.  The scheme may fail without any help from the canals.

You should try one anyway... For science...

J
--