Author Topic: Les Douze Cents, 2020  (Read 4889 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Les Douze Cents, 2020
« on: 10 December, 2019, 12:12:31 pm »
Looks tasty. http://ledouzecents.blogspot.com/2019/10/nouvelle-version-du-douze-cents.html

I've not done a French Audax (just one abroad so far, a Belgian ride) and with 7 months to 'train' for it I think I should be able to fettle myself into a condition to do the ride. https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xdluanmfeteqglqc&language=en makes it look lumpy, but it seems that rather than continuous rolling lumps from start to end, the climbing is wrapped by the 791 km mark, after that it's all downhill to the arrivée.

On the other hand, Milles Pennine is on July 3rd so I am in a bind. MP is obviously easier to get to (and home from) and would be cheaper. I am not convinced that I will be recovered two weeks after. But some hard nuts might feel like MP is a good warm-up for LDC!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

S2L

Re: Les Douze Cents, 2020
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2019, 12:28:55 pm »
The site seems something from the early 90s...
They must have spent 6 figures for it... *

*any reference to real cases is unintentional

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2019, 12:38:45 pm »
A few stronger AUKs have ridden this. The organiser is very experienced, a good egg and comfortable with monoglot foreigners.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2019, 09:11:55 am »
The first edition was tough, above all difficult to manage. It was also very hot weather. I went out in the car into the Creuse to see if I could catch any on the return leg and I pretty much melted after doing 30kms on the bike. IIRC a certain number went overtime at the control at the Pas de Peyrol. It is total autonomy, find your own bus shelter stuff. The route has changed this time round. I can find a write up in french. There may well be one in english on here as well, I will let older, wiser heads sort that out for you.

In view of recent election results 2020 may be a good year to do an overseas brevet before you start needing more complex health insurance. Gofer it!

« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2019, 10:19:13 pm »
As Promised a few accounts - "comptes rendus" (CR) - which are all on the site of the 1200.

First 2016 - http://douzecentslive.blogspot.com/p/compte-rendus-2016.html

And 2012 - http://douzecentslive.blogspot.com/p/compte-rendus.html

Some in english. Happy reading. And try some of the french ones as well as the english, particularly Yvan's from 2012.

bludger

« Reply #5 on: 18 December, 2019, 11:54:20 pm »

Ban cars.

« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2020, 08:26:03 pm »
hi
le "Douze Cents" 2020 in France

registrations open March , 2

on the website
http://ledouzecents.blogspot.com/

jean-pierre

bludger

« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2020, 09:59:29 am »
Merci bien Jean-Pierre :)

Ban cars.

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2020, 01:39:10 pm »
Interesting, this is now making use of the new LRM rule introduced in 2019:

1.3.5 For events where the rate of climbing is greater than 11
meters per kilometre the President will give consideration to
requests for extra time. This will normally be based on a 5%
allowance for every full m/km of extra climbing (examples are
given in Appendix 3). Specific authority to adopt these allowances
must be sought from the LRM President.

So has a time limit of 94.5 hours instead of the usual 90 for a BRM 1200.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2020, 06:33:04 pm »
So has a time limit of 94.5 hours instead of the usual 90 for a BRM 1200.
Frankly, this is rather good news and seems perfectly reasonable  O:-)   ;)

It also works well for use of daylight; this starts at  8pm (so basically dusk), so +94.5H is 6:30pm (on the 4th day).
(looks like a staggered start over 40mins if I'm reading the schedule correctly)

This means you finish in daylight, and you have a few hours of dusk as insurance if you finish HD (which I think is good for morale - I don't like finishing in the dark AND on the bubble :( ). And then it's time for a good knees-up  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2020, 06:57:18 am »

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2020, 02:28:42 pm »
Just registered and paid, looking forward to it :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2020, 05:22:05 pm »
Also have registered and paid now!
Will be the 3rd time on the most excellent event for me!!!
Looking forward to the big adventure  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2020, 08:42:17 pm »
Paid.

Now, where does thing happen? It's France, right; anyway, months to sort out logistics, I'll muddle through as usual ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

bludger

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2020, 09:47:11 pm »
What have I let you all in for 😬 😱

Ban cars.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2020, 11:47:57 am »
Looks a great route, but I fear even 94 hours may not be sufficient for me.
However, the first 3 stages would take me to within 200km of my house in France, which gives me an idea to cycle down there at 200km or so a day. Maybe next year?
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2020, 05:45:07 pm »
I've entered this twice and completed once. In 2012 I was defeated by the French heatwave... 2016 I just about completed.

It is very much an 'X-rated' event for riders like myself who have completed PBP in 80-90 hours - faster riders like Mr Barkman and Mr Lucas are able to pitch up at hotels each night. Sadly been away from riding for too long to enter this time.

Expect the most fabulous route with spectacular scenery and great support from the organiser at numerous roadside rendezvous.

I did do a write up of my 2016 experience for Arrive which was due to go into the edition Tim Wainwright was working on when he passed away ... it then got lost with coverage of LEL taking precedent... or the editors just didn't like it.

Link to the article for anyone looking for a flavour of the event:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn3j811c0kue2cc/Le%20Douze%20Cents%201200km%20.docx?dl=0

bludger

« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2020, 07:21:54 pm »
Great read.thank you for sharing.

It's with your post in mind I don't think I'm going to do it - this time. It reads like it isn't just a physically tough challenge but also owing to its X rated nature something really best done with at least a regular 1200 in one's legs.

Best of luck to the warriors giving it a knock this time.

Ban cars.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2020, 06:30:47 pm »
I've entered this twice and completed once. In 2012 I was defeated by the French heatwave... 2016 I just about completed.

It is very much an 'X-rated' event for riders like myself who have completed PBP in 80-90 hours - faster riders like Mr Barkman and Mr Lucas are able to pitch up at hotels each night. Sadly been away from riding for too long to enter this time.

Expect the most fabulous route with spectacular scenery and great support from the organiser at numerous roadside rendezvous.

I did do a write up of my 2016 experience for Arrive which was due to go into the edition Tim Wainwright was working on when he passed away ... it then got lost with coverage of LEL taking precedent... or the editors just didn't like it.

Link to the article for anyone looking for a flavour of the event:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn3j811c0kue2cc/Le%20Douze%20Cents%201200km%20.docx?dl=0
I was now in a landscape known only to me from Tim Krabbes 'The Rider'
Fantastic!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:05:42 pm »
I emailed Jean Pierre.

"wait and see"

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #20 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:34:49 pm »
Now if it runs and auk events are still suspended,  can i use to towards a S.R. i wonder?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #21 on: 20 March, 2020, 12:11:46 pm »
I emailed Jean Pierre.

"wait and see"

Jean Pierre is a doctor, so don't be too surprised if he disappears from the interweb at some stage.
Chief cat entertainer.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:56:36 pm »
Binned :(

la Fédération Française de Cyclotourisme* a suspendu toutes ses organisations jusqu'au 2 aout.

On the plus side, I now have the email addresses of 50 new Audax friends!

*Anyone know ACP's position? I presume there are French audaxes not run by FFCT?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:09:11 pm »
Binned :(

la Fédération Française de Cyclotourisme* a suspendu toutes ses organisations jusqu'au 2 aout.

On the plus side, I now have the email addresses of 50 new Audax friends!

*Anyone know ACP's position? I presume there are French audaxes not run by FFCT?

1 As I have always understood it the ACP is a FFCT (FFVélo as the current presidente likes to call it) club.

2 The current rules and advice have been thrashed out between all the fédérations and the Ministre de Sports (if I've got the title right) so even audaxes run by UFOLEP or FFSGT (think that's right) will be also postponed until 02/08 (unless we all start recatching the lurgy in which case don't hold your breath).

3 There is a considerable chunk of the population who are not out of lockdown and the rest of us are still not liberated. The rules that I received via the club president from the COREG (and, upstream, the FFCT) include how to overtake without catching anything. Testers would feel most at home!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2020, 06:59:07 am »
Thanks mzjo!

(I didn't want to get into wide-ranging speculation about future regulations, there are plenty of threads about that! Hence my one quite specific question.)

Take care everyone.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------