Author Topic: My Fitbit on its last legs  (Read 1562 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My Fitbit on its last legs
« on: 15 January, 2021, 07:47:47 pm »
At least, I think it is. I've had a Fitbit One for almost exactly 6 years and it seems that the battery is discharging a lot more quickly than it used to. I carry it around in my pocket (it originally had a small rubber and metal wossname that clipped to clothing but I have no idea what happened to that.)

I'm thinking of buying a replacement but it seems these days that the only ones available are in the form of a wristwatch. I don't want that as I already have a very nice wristwatch that I wear every day. I'm pretty sure that one of those would work perfectly well in my pocket, but I suppose I'm after a bit of advice from people who are more in the know about these things than I am.

TIA!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Fitbit on its last legs
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2021, 07:52:41 pm »
Fitbits have generally not done well in our house, with very poor reliability and poor battery life after less than a year. 

We've all gone Garmin (well, the rest of them have joined me), in one form ow watch or another. I'm not sure about the idea of keeping it in a pocket though
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:26:03 pm »
Looking at the various options on Amazon, it seems that Fitbit devices cost between double and 4 times as much as alternative brands. I suppose its the usual suck-the-suckers-in approach. I recently earned my "Russian Railway" badge, indicating that I had walked well over 5000 miles in the last 6 years. Such things don't normally matter a damn to me - until I realised that my old college pal Audrey, whom I haven't seen since 1975 other than on facebook - was posting about her fitbit achievements.

I suppose anything will do that records my paces, and ideally talks to my iPhone .There are some pretty cheap ones whcih also record GPS tracks. But then the iPhone can do that anyway.

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:58:29 pm »
Can't you just get a step-counting app for the iPhone? As long as the phone normally lives in a pocket rather than a bag, of course.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2021, 11:18:01 pm »
Can't you just get a step-counting app for the iPhone? As long as the phone normally lives in a pocket rather than a bag, of course.

It doesn't. My phone spends most of the day out of my pocket, sitting on my desk or some other surface. I've got a couple of step-counting apps on it but with the Fitbit in my pocket, every step, pretty much, is counted.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2021, 08:17:53 am »
I think I have one somewhere Wow.  If I can find it, you’re welcome to it.  I rely on my Apple Watch these days. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:48:58 pm »
The Fitbit Inspire HR could be what you seek Wow.  Still a band though slightly chunkier than the Alta which I believe it replaced.

My knowledge of this is purely because mllePB is a Fitbit user.  I am a slightly grumpy Garmin victim.

« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:53:43 pm »
Is it not easy enough to replace battery?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:56:53 pm »
Is it not easy enough to replace battery?

I predict spudgers, snappy plastic and glue.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2021, 01:04:56 pm »
Garmin Vivofit uses a button cell battery. Should last about a year or so, and not too hard to replace.

They are all watch band style. But could remove it from the band, and just put it your pocket. Should still mostly count steps etc.
There was a belt clip available for the Vivofit 2 or 3, not sure if there's anything for the Vivofit 4?

Or wear it on your ankle.

Re: My Fitbit on its last legs
« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:59:57 pm »
I might be moving my Fitbit on.  It's an inspire HR used for just over a year.

As a step tracker and hr monitor it's great but to track bike rides and runs it uses the GPS in the phone. This functionality just does not work so I've gone back to my Polar m400 and a new m430 is arriving tomorrow.

I'll put it on the classifieds if I do.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.