Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1600276 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12375 on: 30 July, 2020, 11:55:42 am »
Muscle memory. Or age.

Try opening it with the other hand.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12376 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:02:51 pm »
my dSLR got two side doors, clearly marked what's behind them, so why the flipflop do I still open up door number one after I have seen/read on door number one that door number one doesn't contain what I need behind it ... every flipping time ...

I never do that on the sony....never.  You can't prove it either.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12377 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:55:49 pm »
mini electric fence, mounted 4" proud of the wall?

Us. Shorts. Summer. Zap.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12378 on: 30 July, 2020, 03:26:37 pm »
mini electric fence, mounted 4" proud of the wall?

Us. Shorts. Summer. Zap.
as a young scout, I had to have a bio break, didn't see wire and was busting ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12379 on: 30 July, 2020, 03:28:28 pm »
Where do I send my complaint ?

I put on shorts and now wrapped in a big jumper because it's cold, you said it would be summer today !

Liar !

20c my back side !!!

It's brrr the next time you move summer, please let me know, so I can plan accordingly

thx bye
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12380 on: 30 July, 2020, 04:45:21 pm »

I put on shorts and now wrapped in a big jumper because it's cold, you said it would be summer today !

Liar !

20c my back side !!!

It's brrr the next time you move summer, please let me know, so I can plan accordingly

thx bye

24° and lovely here.  We've been to the beach and everything.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12381 on: 30 July, 2020, 04:53:35 pm »
Sweltering here  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12382 on: 30 July, 2020, 05:00:44 pm »
I've got a fleece on (indoors) and it's been pissing down with rain all day. :-\

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12383 on: 30 July, 2020, 05:29:48 pm »

Liar !

20c my back side !!!

thx bye

33c according to my motor-car this pm.  Not good when the car is black, has a glass roof and needs its aircon pumping up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12384 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:57:23 pm »
I'm having an exciting evening looking for replacement cycling shoes. Wiggle advise me that for a pair of Shimano MTB style shoes "Going up half a size from normal shoe size is recommended".  Meanwhile Evans, whose website is shit and whose policy of charging a fiver for Click and Collect is wanky in the extreme suggest going up a whole size when choosing some other brand.

Back to Wiggle and picking J Random EDIT road MTB shoe and I get advised to "buy these shoes one size smaller than your usual size"

It's all bollocks.

Here's an idea: Have a system where the value, in this case shoe size, returned by a number, is a constant. Thus a size 46 shoe is the same size whether irrespective of manufacturer.     
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12385 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:11:58 pm »
Lake FTW. They have extensive instructions on their website for how to measure your feet for their shoes.

Here's an idea: Have a system where the value, in this case shoe size, returned by a number, is a constant. Thus a size 46 shoe is the same size whether irrespective of manufacturer.     

Yes, that would be good, but wouldn't solve the issue of people having differently shaped feet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12386 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:14:22 pm »
I'm having an exciting evening looking for replacement cycling shoes. Wiggle advise me that for a pair of Shimano MTB style shoes "Going up half a size from normal shoe size is recommended".  Meanwhile Evans, whose website is shit and whose policy of charging a fiver for Click and Collect is wanky in the extreme suggest going up a whole size when choosing some other brand.

Back to Wiggle and picking J Random EDIT road MTB shoe and I get advised to "buy these shoes one size smaller than your usual size"

It's all bollocks.

That's just the way it is with shoe sizes.
Different mfrs have different interpretations of the sizes.

All the big online sites recognise this, and they allow for repeated return-try-another-size.

It took about 5 returns before I got the right size in SIDI  road shoes from Wiggle, but they were not in the slightest arsey about it.

I would have bought from an LBS where I could try the sizing, but the cost of stock is prohibitive, so there's no LBS in all of ScotlandLand where I could do that.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12387 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:24:06 pm »
Well.
That seems to be quite the hornet's nest.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size

Reading that it looks like the Lake measuring system is similar to Mondopoint, which seems rather sensible.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12388 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:30:59 pm »
That's just the way it is with shoe sizes.
Different mfrs have different interpretations of the sizes.

Well they're jolly annoying. (Not what I originally wrote, I'm in a grumpy mood tonight)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12389 on: 31 July, 2020, 10:45:40 pm »
Pleasingly, the Brannock Device mentioned in the Wiki article that Mrs Pingu pointed me at was a question in tonight's Zoom quiz, so got a point there. Didn't win though.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12390 on: 31 July, 2020, 11:07:20 pm »
:)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12391 on: 05 August, 2020, 12:43:32 pm »
Bah!  Our kettle no longer switches itself off on boiling.
It wouldn't really be a problem were it not for Mrs B's habit of  switching kettle on, returning to other room, forgetting about tea.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12392 on: 05 August, 2020, 06:06:12 pm »
Bah!  Our kettle no longer switches itself off on boiling.
It wouldn't really be a problem were it not for Mrs B's habit of  switching kettle on, returning to other room, forgetting about tea.
Do you know, Pingu gives me such a hard time if the kettle boils and I'm not there beside it ready to utilise it immediately...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12393 on: 08 August, 2020, 04:55:58 pm »
Grumble..well more of a grump, not even a rant.  The super CNC bike I saw for 40e is now sold. 

Now I can't buy it I wish I had..even though it had tubular tyres.

« Reply #12394 on: 09 August, 2020, 02:13:13 pm »
I've just worked out that if my physio doesn't take a lunch break, his daily income is ~£1380.00
Little wonder that he's smokin' around inna SLK Merc with personalised plates and Carlos Fandango wheels.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #12395 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:21:12 pm »
Your physio don't unnerstan' da system.  You do not rock up in flash git motor, you roll up in a Ford Fiesta normally >10 years old, so the punter, sorry client does not get the true picture of earnings and start to question.  Flash git motoring is another place, another time.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #12396 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:19:43 pm »
I've just worked out that if my physio doesn't take a lunch break, his daily income is ~£1380.00
Little wonder that he's smokin' around inna SLK Merc with personalised plates and Carlos Fandango wheels.

A lot depends on what their outgoings are in terms of room hire, equipment, liability insurance (could be several k a yr) and if they do it full-time. Most physios I know who do private work, do that only one or two days a week and tend not to be fully booked out.

Not that it isn't lucrative if you're any good. And you have to be good at both business and physioing to make private practice work.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12397 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:30:36 pm »
They've also got to save up for all the medical treatment their thumbs will need in old age...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12398 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:18:26 am »
They've also got to save up for all the medical treatment their thumbs will need in old age...

Its all another big Ponzi scheme, keeping all those physios working on each others thumbs
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12399 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:35:27 am »

A lot depends on what their outgoings are in terms of room hire, equipment, liability insurance (could be several k a yr) and if they do it full-time. Most physios I know who do private work, do that only one or two days a week and tend not to be fully booked out.

Not that it isn't lucrative if you're any good. And you have to be good at both business and physioing to make private practice work.
It was a gentle dig, rather than a proper complaint.
He is actually very good at what he does.