Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2455109 times)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7050 on: 28 April, 2014, 12:14:12 pm »
It did Peter! The corresponding freewheel is now fitted to the ROH, safe in the knowledge that I can get it off again! Oddly enough I bumped into a French chap sorting through boxes at the jumble who had the same problem - a freewheel requiring a large diameter removal tool. He showed me one that he had just bought which he thought was more a BB removal tool and it was exactly the same as you provided me; so I was able to reassure him that the tool he had should do the job.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7051 on: 29 April, 2014, 04:53:20 pm »
With some shopping on board.  See!  It's a practical utility bike!

OK, so the shopping was bike parts (and a few medicines from the pharmacy), but it was a fuller saddlebag than it's had before.

P4290001 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7052 on: 29 April, 2014, 06:00:56 pm »
With some shopping on board.  See!  It's a practical utility bike!

OK, so the shopping was bike parts (and a few medicines from the pharmacy), but it was a fuller saddlebag than it's had before.

P4290001 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

I love the purpose, simplicity and elegance  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7053 on: 29 April, 2014, 06:02:38 pm »
But not the wonky front light :-[
Getting there...

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7054 on: 29 April, 2014, 06:08:49 pm »

I thought that was the turbo/supercharger button ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7055 on: 29 April, 2014, 06:09:49 pm »
Of course it's a practical utility bike! bike parts and medicines are the ultimate in utility purchases, surely? Well, about from cake and tea. And I thought the front light was adjusted for (extreme) anti-dazzle. What size of saddlebag is that?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7056 on: 29 April, 2014, 07:03:07 pm »
We're not sure what saddlebag it is, but we think a Nelson.  I really want one of the smaller ones with no side pockets, or else a Super C Barley.  But that one looks the part OK.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7057 on: 29 April, 2014, 07:21:42 pm »
I was once thinking of getting one without side pockets (Cadet?) but I do use them - looks like you're using yours too!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7058 on: 29 April, 2014, 07:32:05 pm »
Yes, i am, but I wouldn't if I didn't have them.
Getting there...

« Reply #7059 on: 29 April, 2014, 07:58:20 pm »
So I went into (shhhhh) Halfords for tools for the car and this was sitting forlornly in the corner having been robbed of bar tape and the front brake recessed nut. I had both in the bits box at home and managed to get it at a truly bargainacious price. Happy step son!

And then I saw this and had a little mid-life crisis! Well it must be as usually my bikes are steel with round frame tubes....! 2011 model and buying both got me further disounts

Had the ti brooks and matching tape waiting for the right bike.

Got a sqr bracket and the 'guards, and a cateye computer.

Fitted my maptrap and exposure mount for my hope light, bottle cages and stainless bolts, destickwred the wheels, and now I've just got to try and remember it doesn't have bar end shifters. Only ridden it briefly, as been away for work,  but it's fab so far :{)>
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7060 on: 29 April, 2014, 09:25:07 pm »
We're not sure what saddlebag it is, but we think a Nelson.  I really want one of the smaller ones with no side pockets, or else a Super C Barley.  But that one looks the part OK.

Looks like my Pendle, to me.

Love the bike, btw.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7061 on: 29 April, 2014, 09:27:06 pm »
Could be a Pendle
Getting there...

« Reply #7062 on: 30 April, 2014, 10:32:13 am »
Hiya Greenmeansgo, my understanding is, it's a legal requirment for any mode of transport on our roads, that they have two INDEPENDANT brakes, so if one fails, you always have a back up. 

To a normal cyclist,  all the braking on the front may look strange, dangerous even but they work pretty much the same, there isn't a great deal of difference. At least in practice, the whole triking experience is so much more different to normal cycling, that you don't really notice the small difference in the way they brake. ???

I like riding to the West of Harrogate into the Dales and finding hilly, quite, country lanes that don't really go anywhere, other than up and down, connecting tiny little villages and farms. I’m a bit of an adrenaline junkie and have quite an aggressive riding style. I like to career around at speed pushing the limits of control, which necessarily means there are moments when I am completely out of control. Most rides out at some point, I end up giving myself a bit of a scare. Along with the exercise, the fresh air, the views, the nature and the quietness of the countryside, I enjoy and want that heart in your mouth, A hole puckering sensation, when you think you might have just killed yourself. And for this type of riding, the original brake set up, couldn't deliver me the kind of stopping power I needed, hence the conversion to Mini Vs.
:) Great stuff!

« Reply #7063 on: 30 April, 2014, 10:53:05 am »
It did Peter! The corresponding freewheel is now fitted to the ROH, safe in the knowledge that I can get it off again! Oddly enough I bumped into a French chap sorting through boxes at the jumble who had the same problem - a freewheel requiring a large diameter removal tool. He showed me one that he had just bought which he thought was more a BB removal tool and it was exactly the same as you provided me; so I was able to reassure him that the tool he had should do the job.

Excellent!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7064 on: 30 April, 2014, 10:57:12 am »

I thought that was the turbo/supercharger button ::-)

Well, if it is, it isn't working :-[
Getting there...

maxcherry

« Reply #7065 on: 30 April, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »
So I went into (shhhhh) Halfords for tools for the car and this was sitting forlornly in the corner having been robbed of bar tape and the front brake recessed nut. I had both in the bits box at home and managed to get it at a truly bargainacious price. Happy step son!

And then I saw this and had a little mid-life crisis! Well it must be as usually my bikes are steel with round frame tubes....! 2011 model and buying both got me further disounts

Had the ti brooks and matching tape waiting for the right bike.

Got a sqr bracket and the 'guards, and a cateye computer.

Fitted my maptrap and exposure mount for my hope light, bottle cages and stainless bolts, destickwred the wheels, and now I've just got to try and remember it doesn't have bar end shifters. Only ridden it briefly, as been away for work,  but it's fab so far :{)>

Gosh! i hate to see what you get up to on your rest days  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7066 on: 02 May, 2014, 09:24:14 pm »
P5020004 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7067 on: 02 May, 2014, 09:30:37 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7068 on: 02 May, 2014, 10:46:59 pm »
P5020004 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
The number of bikes you have, I'm not surprised you need such a substantial bike shed!

Serious question: Are you going to put mudguards on it? Cos I'm beginning to wonder if you're not slipping towards hipster-dom. :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7069 on: 02 May, 2014, 10:48:23 pm »
No mudguards.  This is a toy.  Eventually, it will have a smaller saddlebag.  The idea is to have a fixed light enough that I can actually get up some moderate hills!  It did really well round London today.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7070 on: 02 May, 2014, 10:54:11 pm »
Toys are good.

<looks warily for other signs of Clarion going through a mid-life crisis>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7071 on: 02 May, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »
Oh, if it's to be a toy and whizz up hills, how about (when time/finances/tuits permit) considering a wedge-shaped saddlepack rather than a traditional Carradice (though it could of course be made by The World's Best Manufacturer of Cycling Luggage)? Probably more a question of style than whizz-ability really though - and you did say you were thinking of one without side pockets anyway.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7072 on: 02 May, 2014, 11:01:34 pm »
I do have a Carradice wedge saddlepack, but I prefer the look of a saddlebag.  There's a lot of vanity involved in the choices here.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7073 on: 02 May, 2014, 11:08:50 pm »
I do have a Carradice wedge saddlepack, but I prefer the look of a saddlebag.  There's a lot of vanity involved in the choices here.
Ah, this is the thing - a mindful buddhist's mid-life crisis!  :D

(Let's be honest - "here" could apply to almost the whole forum.  :o  :hand: ::-) !!!)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7074 on: 04 May, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »
Fast bike; slow rider:
P5040001 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...