Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 65531 times)

Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #500 on: 03 November, 2020, 02:27:37 pm »
There seem to be far fewer extraneous pieces of advertising being included with out weekend newspapers.  Good for us, not so much for the publication I suspect.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #501 on: 03 November, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »
There seem to be far fewer extraneous pieces of advertising being included with out weekend newspapers.  Good for us, not so much for the publication I suspect.

I noticed that with the STimes this week - pity the company with the "November offers" flyer - can't remember who but certainly "non-essential"

« Reply #502 on: 03 November, 2020, 03:51:07 pm »
Now that gym classes are off again (and I'm not particularly keen on going to the gym anyhow, it being a university one), a single pair of Craghoppers trousers and a merino top lasts me a full week.

You're evidently better at not spilling chocolate/flour/schmoo on your trousers than me.

No one can see my trousers on Zoom... :-X

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #503 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:34:24 pm »
On a clothes-related note, I'm having to do a lot less washing: previously, I'd have work clothes, non-work clothes, and gym clothes. Now that gym classes are off again (and I'm not particularly keen on going to the gym anyhow, it being a university one), a single pair of Craghoppers trousers and a merino top lasts me a full week.

This. But all my civilian clothes are getting worn out from the extra wear.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #504 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:38:38 pm »
On a clothes-related note, I'm having to do a lot less washing: previously, I'd have work clothes, non-work clothes, and gym clothes. Now that gym classes are off again (and I'm not particularly keen on going to the gym anyhow, it being a university one), a single pair of Craghoppers trousers and a merino top lasts me a full week.

For trousers, the wear can be reduced by only wearing them if you plan to stand up. Though admittedly this works better in summer.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #505 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:43:27 pm »
I'm still wearing my three-sizes-too-big jeans when I know I'm likely to be doing something mucky or not going anywhere they might fall down.

Barakta, meanwhile, is doing the same with jeans that are still the right size[1], but have holes in unfashionable places.  She's in advanced stages of denial over her remaining pair of comfortable shoes.

[1] Quite possibly the right size for me?  Haven't tried...

ian

« Reply #506 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:54:57 pm »
I've taken to wearing lingerie all day in the hope a plumber will come to, erm, unblock my radiator.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #507 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:22:07 pm »

I stopped giving a shit about the dress code norm at work when they decided we should be in needlessly.
Unfortunately it doesn't really have much effect as
a) no one really cares anyway
b) if anyone tried enforcing it half of management would have to go home and get changed
c) I wear polo shirts normally anyway and they're allowed so it's only the cords, which unless I've been pissing around with bikes, cars or mud pass the acceptability test normally anyway.

I've also forgotten how to tie a tie again.

« Reply #508 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:40:31 pm »
Daughters' nursery class has split into 2 bubbles. Each bubble puts on a nativity play, it will be videoed and distributed online, no need to attend with dozens of other parents. With the smaller bubble, every child gets a decent speaking part if they want it.

« Reply #509 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:48:55 pm »
Double coronabonus!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #510 on: 04 November, 2020, 12:09:40 am »
I'd say this is a bonus

BBC News - Covid: Small shops 'more agile' than big ones in pandemic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54795486

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #511 on: 08 November, 2020, 06:44:16 pm »
More turkeys will survive.

..until they get avian flu.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #513 on: 26 November, 2020, 11:55:50 am »
It's the internet, so there are cats.
https://youtu.be/y5Z9jg6SrZo

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #514 on: 30 November, 2020, 12:33:51 pm »
Three bonuses today:
1. Didn't have to traipse round school for parents evening. It only took ten minutes over Zoom.
2. No drunks vomiting in the street on Friday night.
3. I've discovered that a facemask in cold weather is good for my sinus.

« Reply #515 on: 30 November, 2020, 05:23:39 pm »
I work in a business with very strict drinks & drugs rules, even for office staff, which normally included random unannounced testing (based on desk no).  Lunchtime drinking hasn't been a thing in engineering for decades but now it was general advice that you were running a risk if you had more than a single drink the night before a day in the office.

There hasn't been a whisper of random testing for work-at-home...

« Reply #516 on: 30 November, 2020, 05:28:39 pm »
I confess to being curious as to being curious as to the line of business you are in.
I'm assuming that it doesn't include getting something made by Boeing airborne.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #517 on: 30 November, 2020, 05:34:44 pm »
I work in a business with very strict drinks & drugs rules, even for office staff, which normally included random unannounced testing (based on desk no).  Lunchtime drinking hasn't been a thing in engineering for decades but now it was general advice that you were running a risk if you had more than a single drink the night before a day in the office.

I think that current H&S law for the workplace is suspended with regard to WFH. So no need for workplace assessments etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens After Pandemic.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #518 on: 30 November, 2020, 06:39:06 pm »

I think that current H&S law for the workplace is suspended with regard to WFH. So no need for workplace assessments etc.

Depends on the Engineering, occasional lunchtime drinking is still a thing in software engineering.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #519 on: 30 November, 2020, 06:46:03 pm »

Depends on the Engineering, occasional lunchtime drinking is still a thing in software engineering.
Boeing 737.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #520 on: 30 November, 2020, 06:48:26 pm »

ob-xkcd:

« Reply #521 on: 30 November, 2020, 06:54:01 pm »

...but very much less than it used to be. When I started with my current employer, you were taken to the pub for lunch on your first day and quarterly reviews always ended with free beer. Some people were in the pub every lunchtime. Many people were in the pub Friday lunchtime. Now it's very much a special occasion thing.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #522 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:23:48 pm »

We’ve all had to complete DSE and workplace assessments, as a result of working from home during Covid.   They kind of missed that some of us have been WFH for years without it being thought necessary...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #523 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:25:18 pm »

We’ve all had to complete DSE and workplace assessments, as a result of working from home during Covid.   They kind of missed that some of us have been WFH for years without it being thought necessary...
So what happened if your home workplace 'failed' the assessment?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #524 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:44:11 pm »

The assessment is standard for WFH for us, except they don't do them just now because that would mean a non-virtual meeting.
Not that anyone is officially allowed to WFH anyway becase the board are ---