Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 46597 times)

no97trap

Re: Chickens
« Reply #125 on: 09 June, 2009, 05:26:37 pm »
Good points, but they just ended up with names. We always said that we'd never eat them as they are pets; I'm sure some will see this as waste. Said hen didn't seem too distressed as her behaviour seemed normal, but research suggested she'd not recover - hence the chop before it started to get too bad for her, and before I wasted much time on her.

She was only a hen after all - but she gave us a regular supply of very tasty eggs, and loads of entertainment!

« Reply #126 on: 10 June, 2009, 09:00:56 pm »
Fair enough.

BTW, I don't want to give the impression our chickens were mistreated at all. They had pretty good lives, & it did the heart good to see their pleasure every time their run was moved onto a nice fresh weed patch.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #127 on: 31 August, 2009, 02:23:55 pm »
The new arrivals (compounded with the departures - one RIP and one AWOL) mean we now have four, easily distinguishable.

The original Black rock, a Speckled cuckoo, a Light Sussex, and a Northern Blue. We can monitor eggs per chicken as they should all lay different coloured eggs. light brown, dark brown, cream and blue in that order.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #128 on: 04 September, 2009, 05:38:47 pm »
Very lovely looking ladies :)

I am seriously thinking of getting some chickens for the woods - just maybe 2 or 3 to start with.  They would have to be kept in a run because of the foxes.  I was thinking of the larger Eglu because it is easily mobile and we could bring them back home if we are away for a couple of weeks (so the neighbour can feed them).

Couple of questions:  Is it possible to leave them for a couple of days so that you can go away for a long weekend if you stock them up with food and drink?  Is the Eglu a good thing or is it better to get a proper hen house?  How fox-proof is an Eglu?  (OK that's three questions).

Cheers!
Spinning, but not cycling...

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #129 on: 04 September, 2009, 06:26:30 pm »
The Eglus are fox proof - the cage actually has a skirt that deters foxes from digging under it.

You should be fine leaving them alone for a few days, certainly with a large Eglu.

They are expensive compared to building your own, but they look lovely and are rock solid - and mobile as you say.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #130 on: 10 September, 2009, 03:22:29 pm »
You can leave hens for a few days no problem so long as you fill the feeder and water before you go and the run is secure.
There are loads of plans and ideas on the Internet for building your own hen house. I am currently thinking of building this one

City Bidy Hen House

to replace the rotten one we inherited.

Also look here for ideas.

Backyard Chickens
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #131 on: 10 September, 2009, 04:35:06 pm »
Shiny.

I'm doing some upgrades to our chicken house at the w/e. We're also getting 2 more chooks :). I'll post pics soon.

We've actually started selling our eggs with a little honesty box attached to the side of the garage. A chap knocked on the door on Sunday with some returned egg boxes. He said that ours were the best eggs he's ever had 8).
Pen Pusher

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #132 on: 04 October, 2009, 01:32:24 pm »
My mum's just got herself half a dozen hens and phones me every so often to regale me with tales of how amusing they are. She says they follow her round the garden and it's really hard to dig the veg bed when there are hens standing on the garden fork. She's spoiling them, feeding them on porridge in the morning, and she says they love sweetcorn but they're not keen on grapes.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #133 on: 04 October, 2009, 01:38:05 pm »
Ours hate grapes too. They love chips or cooked potatoes of any kind though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #134 on: 04 October, 2009, 02:13:25 pm »
The cattery that I've taken Talisker to recently has free roaming chickens.  When I went to pick him up on Friday, the chap had to chase a couple out of their office.

I'm sure it drives most of the occupants up the wall, so much free roaming food, just out of reach! ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #135 on: 04 October, 2009, 10:14:05 pm »
Mr DS says I can have some at the woods, so I think I'll be ordering an Eglu Cube with some chickens this week.  I'm going for the Eglu because it is much more secure than wooden hen houses and we do have both badgers and foxes at the woods.

I'm so excited!

« Reply #136 on: 05 October, 2009, 03:13:57 pm »
Woo hoo!  Ordered one Eglu cube, extended run and three chickens to live at the woods.  Arriving 23rd October.  I'm so excited.  I know the Eglu is expensive but it is very well built and very predator proof and I wouldn't be happy leaving them in a wooden hen house knowing that foxes and badgers can gnaw through these.

no97trap

« Reply #137 on: 05 October, 2009, 03:22:09 pm »
We've recently had another 5 from the BHWT; three very poorly, missing eyes and wings. I've got more details on my blog at http://russelleden.wordpress.com/category/chickens/

Some of the poorly ones are back at laying, which I didn't expect.

« Reply #138 on: 05 October, 2009, 04:33:49 pm »
Russell, that's great!  We are getting a set-up suitable for up to 10 chickens, but only starting with 3 point-of-lay.  When we are used to them and a bit more confident, we'll definitely get some ex-battery chickens (Stephen calls them re-chargeable chickens because they were batteries...oh dear!).  We aim to get a total of 6 eventually.  We didn't want to start with chickens that have "issues", either physical or psychological, but our aim is definitely to help poor little re-chargeables. 

Stephen was so negative, but now he's getting quite into the idea of chickens and I've only just ordered them!

no97trap

« Reply #139 on: 05 October, 2009, 04:47:37 pm »
I volunteered to take the poorly hens, but it's usual for the ex-batts to be in very good health and only in need of a bit of fuss. They're really great to have and I can recommend them. Spead to Ian at the BHWT and he'll sort you some out Battery Hen Welfare Trust

I guarantee that Stephen will fall in love with them all. You won't get a look in!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #140 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:30:49 pm »
Ours hate grapes too. They love chips or cooked potatoes of any kind though.
She only tried them with grapes because my dad said his dad's hens used to love them. The hens turned their beaks up at them so she offered them to a neighbour with "I got these for the hens but they don't want them so you can have them if you like."  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #141 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:18:33 pm »
My Eglu Cube and three lovely chickens arrived today from Omlet.  They are happily clucking around in their run, being stared at by Ozzy, our youngest cat, who thinks they are dinner on the wing but is frustrated by their large size and the big cage.

Doc Sarah's Domain

I'm really taken by them.  Their feathers are so soft and beautiful.  And they have their own personalities, that is clear even in a very short while.

Happy Happy :) :) :)

no97trap

« Reply #142 on: 23 October, 2009, 06:30:39 pm »
Enjoy them!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #143 on: 25 October, 2009, 02:59:32 am »
We are getting some lovely Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island Reds in the spring from some friends here who are breeding them... they'll be getting a large permanent run including a couple of trees, but we'll also be operating a chicken tractor in the new orchard (which we'll be putting in at the same time). The problem here is not just foxes but also coyotes, which don't bother waiting until night!

« Reply #144 on: 25 October, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »
We've spent an awfully large amount of time watching chickens in the last couple of days.  They are very amusing indeed, particularly with their bedtime ritual, as they have had to manage the little ladder thing on the Eglu Cube that doesn't reach right to the ground. 

One of the chickens (Gwennie) is much better than the other two - she goes up first to show them the way.  Then Megan follows her.  The only problem is that Gwennie then tries to get down before Megan is right up, so they have to pass on the ladder that is really only wide enough for one chicken.  Then Gwennie shows Blodwyn how to get up and there is more passing on the ladder, turning round, changing her mind, flapping and wobbling.  Finally all three get in, and then Gwennie comes out again to show off how she can fly down from the top rung, jump back up to the fourth run, do pirouettes on the ladder and so forth.  It is absolutely mad!

I'm very impressed with the Cube.  It is very sturdy, as is the weld-mesh run and extension.  They have upgraded the door so you can get into the run and walk around (slightly crouched) with relative ease.  It is a doddle to empty the poo trays, which I have lined with Hemcore horse bedding, and is easy to move around when you put the wheels down.  It is expensive, but the convenience of not having to scrub out a wooden hen house, which would have put me off owning chickens otherwise, is worth the money.

Just waiting for my first egg now - they are a bit young still, particularly Gwennie who hasn't got any wattles yet.  The other two are bigger and therefore more likely to lay soon.

Mr DS was very sceptical but he talks to them and takes them out little chicky treats, so I think he's sold on the idea!

no97trap

« Reply #145 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:11:45 pm »

Mr DS was very sceptical but he talks to them and takes them out little chicky treats, so I think he's sold on the idea!

It is very common for males to become completely engrossed in the hen experience. I'll wager that you won't get a look in later on.

« Reply #146 on: 27 October, 2009, 06:30:51 pm »
Gratuitous chicken pictures from their first free range experience today:-

Blodwyn admiring the fuchsias

Gwennie seems pretty good at flying - here she is on the roof of the Eglu

Gwennie and Megan are being nosey - they are on the dustbin looking in at the kitchen

A reluctant Gwennie is returned to the run - it is nearly dark by this stage but she doesn't want to go to bed!

We spent the next hour by torchlight plugging all the visible gaps in below the fence.  I suspect they'll find the invisible gaps :(

I think wing clipping might be essential, as Gwennie really likes flying and keeps eyeing up the fence...

anth

« Reply #147 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:05:15 pm »
We only had to clip the wing once of our flighty girl, since then she seems quite happy remaining in our garden. It's a decent size with plenty of undergrowth, and borders to dustbath in - god only knows what they'd make of a forest!

Lovely looking girls though.

We had one went broody for a couple of months earlier in the year. We tried absolutely everything you're supposed to try to stop it, but nowt worked. She snapped out of it herself, which was a relief cos it was putting the other one off laying and we ended up haivng to buy eggs! You really do get used to your own supply...

Now a year and a half old (their Eglu lives inside a large run I built off the side of the shed).

« Reply #148 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:30:36 pm »

It is very common for males to become completely engrossed in the hen experience. I'll wager that you won't get a look in later on.

Ah!  That's why Nikki was saying "Does she need to get tarred and feathered or something ..."  ;)

« Reply #149 on: 09 November, 2009, 03:40:01 pm »
I don't think any chicken has a right to look this comfortable!  Gwennie has pinched the place the cats usually use to sunbathe and is showing us how it is done.

Still no eggs though *sigh*