Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815778 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26425 on: 15 March, 2024, 02:14:04 pm »
Yesterday, 160 km on the eBrute to see how I could perform without residual metformin screwing things up.  Very satisfying: I only used the motor on about half of it and my legs still had power even towards the end.  Got bombarded with salvoes of flies crossing open hilly areas, touch of hay fever in the forest: beautiful day otherwise with so many trees in bloom and the usual spring wildflowers everywhere.  Got home in the early evening happy as Larry. Sore in a dozen places and a bit woozy today so I'm obviously getting it right. 
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26426 on: 15 March, 2024, 02:45:45 pm »
Yesterday, 160 km on the eBrute to see how I could perform without residual metformin screwing things up.  Very satisfying: I only used the motor on about half of it and my legs still had power even towards the end.  Got bombarded with salvoes of flies crossing open hilly areas, touch of hay fever in the forest: beautiful day otherwise with so many trees in bloom and the usual spring wildflowers everywhere.  Got home in the early evening happy as Larry. Sore in a dozen places and a bit woozy today so I'm obviously getting it right.

Well done that is excellent!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26427 on: 15 March, 2024, 06:50:33 pm »
Yesterday I struggled into Slough Town centre on the wheelchair because I really needed to get to the bank. The I took me a hour and 10 minutes to get to railway station Bridge where someone helpfully pushed me to the bank. I  normally take 15 minutes or less to get to the bank. I then went to the the big a4 tescos and bought a few items and decided to go to the bottom of the high street and catch a bus homeward. When I got to bus stop I found the routes had changed since I had last used the bus. So I wheeled back into town and remembered that there is a taxi office behind barcleys bank  as I didn't have my phone on me. So I got a taxi back home..the pavements are very difficult to work the wheelchair along. On the bright side I certainly got some exercise  :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26428 on: 16 March, 2024, 10:16:28 am »

Well done that is excellent!

Thanks, Jeff.  I'm paying for it though: got on the stationary bike to drive down blood sugar this morning and had to give up after a few pedal strokes because of screaming quads.  Never mind, it's all good.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26429 on: 16 March, 2024, 12:53:45 pm »
Fastest time ever (a couple of minutes under two hours for 48km) from my Rural Idyll to Darkest Tooting for platelet donation. I am obviously a Riding God. The slight tail wind and lack of traffic due to everyone staying at home while the M25 is completely closed are mere coincidences.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26430 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:35:01 pm »
I went for a ride this afternoon. Up Firle Beacon on the broken tarmac track, then a mix of byways, woodland tracks, cycle paths, and little lanes. Turning at Hailsham and Horam, then back to Lewes. Fooled by this morning's sunshine, the spare layer was on before half way.
61km in 4 hours 30.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #26431 on: 18 March, 2024, 11:39:53 am »
A ten mile loop over Barnes and Hammersmith bridge on the Elan. Lots of lovely blossom and Hammersmith bridge is open for bicycles again, this time with our own lanes.

The Elan is so comfy and the 35mm tyres so confidence inspiring. Heavy - but really nice to ride.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #26432 on: 18 March, 2024, 12:30:48 pm »
It was my child-free weekend and yesterday I decided to go out on the mtb (2005 Scott Aspen, upgraded with disc brakes and a Brooks Champion Special). I specifically decided to go and do some of a ride that I used to do in the '90s, when all of my weekends were child free (and my then mtb - a '93 Diamondback Topanga - was a rigid, rim-braked, black and purple thing).

I wasn't sure I would remember the route, but I still had the page torn out of the Feb '95 edition of Cycling Today with the route on it.

I knew I wasn't up to the full 20 miles. That was hard work even 30 years ago, so I picked what, from memory, was the better half, parking at Foremark Reservoir near Ticknall and heading SE.

It was as hard as I thought it might be, and then some. The rain had made many of the more extreme paths very challenging. One was really just a stream and I ended up walking some of it (Repton Shrubs) which - hilariously - was the only time I fell: my new shoes really don't have enough grip for that much mud.

I was very grateful for the disc brakes. I remember the screaming of my rim brakes in the old days as the mud ripped into the rims but somehow also almost completely failed to slow me down. I held out against hydraulic discs for a long time but they really have their place. 

Some of the route was completely unrecognisable but I forgave my memory because it's had a lot on since I last rode there and - unusually - I was riding it counter-clockwise. Which, when I looked at the profile for the ride this morning, was probably a mistake.

I was just over 5 miles in (SW of Bretby Hall) when I realised that I was going to have to cut short the already reduced ride. I'd thought the sun was going down but it was just a huge bank of low cloud in the west. However, it was having the same effect. That and the fact that a particularly challenging section was coming up and I was already feeling tired made me go left instead of right at Moxon's Hill to shave (I estimated) about 45 minutes of the ride.

If I'd known how steep Greysich Lane is I might not have bothered with the short cut. That's the monster that starts at mile 6.4 rising from 253 feet to 499 feet at 7.1 miles. But it was, at least, pretty much downhill all the way thereafter. I hopped on the the A514 and followed it north for a minute or two before turning back into the reservoir paths and the car park.

I was muddy, tired and getting chilly but, perched against the boot of the car, warmed by a flask of tea while watching the sun actually go down over the reservoir, I remembered how much fun a bit of XC is. 

The route: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2553724
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #26433 on: 21 March, 2024, 05:38:02 pm »
Yes, just back from an extended return commute taking in the beautiful road that runs alongside the Severn. Stopped for some falafel , then a nice easy 10 miles of canal path through red-brick victorian industrial relics.

« Reply #26434 on: 21 March, 2024, 06:42:30 pm »
Went out yesterday.
Three VeloViewer Squares needed popping.
One was near Canewdon, another at Paglesham and the third just off Two Tree Island.
To get to the River Crouch seawall, RidewithGPS thought there was a path where there was no path, and the square I had to get to from the seawall was a helluvalot nearer to the seawall than the point I routed to. So we had a longish ride to the point from which I would have to walk (as the landowner was known to have a dislike of bicyclers). My Wednesday buddy stayed and looked after the bikes, sitting on a warm south facing slope on the seawall, in long grass. My walk (of which it transpired I only needed to do 100metres) was more than 5km and took about an hour. I phoned the bike-watcher after half an hour and got no response. Fearing there was a problem, I upped my pace and even ventured into a jog (something I have not done for a couple of decades)! Got back to find she had no knowledge of her phone ringing. She had been fast asleep!

Second square was simple - just roads I had not used with Strava before. Whilst in Paglesham, we had lunch at the Punch Bowl. It was a bit classy (Small portions) and the service was really rubbish. Nice toilets though. 

Next stop was the mud south of Two Tree Island. The tide was (out) out, so trotting through the salt marshes was fun, and not too mucky, and most of all safe.

Total mileage was 50 (80km) plentiful sun and little wind meant it was pleasantly warm (warmer than I had dressed for), and the air temperature at its peak was 17degC.

The three squares I got on this ride added nothing to my score (20x20) but they were reasonably low hanging fruits and do pave the way for easier expansion of the max square.

As we got back into Benfleet, we were both in need of further refreshment so we simply had to stop when we saw an ice cream van.

Ride had to be recorded in two halves -
https://www.strava.com/activities/11001741780
https://www.strava.com/activities/11001795759
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26435 on: 21 March, 2024, 10:39:06 pm »
This morning I set off over the Fell despite the forecast wind of 48mph lower down in the Dale.
I really should know better.
The road goes well over 1800ft and with the wind eddying around it came in gusts from all sides. It was pretty dangerous.
Happily, there is not a lot of traffic up here, visibility is good, and drivers all gave me plenty of room.
I would not have gone out in those conditions normally, but I had a reason...

The Hemmel Café at Allenheads re-opens on Thurs 21 March, with new tenants in charge.
Opening times will be 9.30am till 4pm on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday, and 9.30am to 4.30pm at weekends.
Closed on Wednesdays  for now but will open all week in the summer. Plenty of safe space to leave bikes.
Please note that the old facebook page is not being updated and still says the café is closed.

Fortified with good coffee and a plate-defying scone, I set off home.
Got blown off the road twice, and needed to stop another twice just to regain balance.
The upland assemblage was not airbourne today, they were cowering in the heather.
Not many kilometres, but knowing I can cope with those conditions is a confidence boost.

« Reply #26436 on: 22 March, 2024, 07:39:07 am »
It was my child-free weekend and yesterday I decided to go out on the mtb (2005 Scott Aspen, upgraded with disc brakes and a Brooks Champion Special). I specifically decided to go and do some of a ride that I used to do in the '90s, when all of my weekends were child free (and my then mtb - a '93 Diamondback Topanga - was a rigid, rim-braked, black and purple thing).

I wasn't sure I would remember the route, but I still had the page torn out of the Feb '95 edition of Cycling Today with the route on it.

I knew I wasn't up to the full 20 miles. That was hard work even 30 years ago, so I picked what, from memory, was the better half, parking at Foremark Reservoir near Ticknall and heading SE.

It was as hard as I thought it might be, and then some. The rain had made many of the more extreme paths very challenging. One was really just a stream and I ended up walking some of it (Repton Shrubs) which - hilariously - was the only time I fell: my new shoes really don't have enough grip for that much mud.

I was very grateful for the disc brakes. I remember the screaming of my rim brakes in the old days as the mud ripped into the rims but somehow also almost completely failed to slow me down. I held out against hydraulic discs for a long time but they really have their place. 

Some of the route was completely unrecognisable but I forgave my memory because it's had a lot on since I last rode there and - unusually - I was riding it counter-clockwise. Which, when I looked at the profile for the ride this morning, was probably a mistake.

I was just over 5 miles in (SW of Bretby Hall) when I realised that I was going to have to cut short the already reduced ride. I'd thought the sun was going down but it was just a huge bank of low cloud in the west. However, it was having the same effect. That and the fact that a particularly challenging section was coming up and I was already feeling tired made me go left instead of right at Moxon's Hill to shave (I estimated) about 45 minutes of the ride.

If I'd known how steep Greysich Lane is I might not have bothered with the short cut. That's the monster that starts at mile 6.4 rising from 253 feet to 499 feet at 7.1 miles. But it was, at least, pretty much downhill all the way thereafter. I hopped on the the A514 and followed it north for a minute or two before turning back into the reservoir paths and the car park.

I was muddy, tired and getting chilly but, perched against the boot of the car, warmed by a flask of tea while watching the sun actually go down over the reservoir, I remembered how much fun a bit of XC is. 

I explored the bridleways in the Repton Shrubs/Bretby Hall area many years ago.  My vague memories are annotated 'Avoid - lots of unrideable mud'.  The tracks across to Seven Spouts and down to Ingleby Toft are likely to be much better.  I have done the tracks around Foremark a few times more recently and they are decent.  I reckon that Greysich Lane is a climb to be savoured in a low gear rather than rushed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26437 on: 22 March, 2024, 03:47:48 pm »
After a thick week off due to mechanicals I set out this morning full of hope and tagliatelle, loaded for a 150k tootle.  But: angina on first climb.  I put it down to the coffee and continued.  Stopped in a café at 15k to change HRM battery (might as well document the coronary).  Took a wrong turning leaving and found myself on a short but nasty 10% climb.  Put in some effort to spare the battery and whoops, angina again.  Glum.  Turned my course into a loop and headed for home.  Funnily enough, a bit later I put in a bit of welly again to overtake another bloke and pushed my heart rate higher than it had been so far, and all was OK; but I tested it again on the final climb and the angina returned. :(

Fortunately my annual cardiologist consultation is next Wednesday. That'll be fun.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #26438 on: 22 March, 2024, 04:52:52 pm »

I explored the bridleways in the Repton Shrubs/Bretby Hall area many years ago.  My vague memories are annotated 'Avoid - lots of unrideable mud'.  The tracks across to Seven Spouts and down to Ingleby Toft are likely to be much better.  I have done the tracks around Foremark a few times more recently and they are decent.  I reckon that Greysich Lane is a climb to be savoured in a low gear rather than rushed.

I'm planning on a return trip to do the other half of the ride at some point, which is north of Foremark and takes in the areas you've named, JB.

And I was definitely in my lowest gear for Greysich Lane, but I'm not sure that I was savouring any of it!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #26439 on: 24 March, 2024, 09:10:39 pm »
I got up relatively early for me, and headed onto the downs. Which were cool and headwindy and slightly damp. Damp became comedy mud. Then, wheels complaining against mudguards, a bit of road to Shoreham and then up the quite busy Adur cycle path. Steyning Bostal beat me, the mud acting like a brake despite clearing with twigs and squirted water. Then down and back along the coast and one last hill before home.
87km, 1100m of up, and a little under 8 hours.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #26440 on: Yesterday at 08:15:40 pm »
Yes I did get a ride!.all the way to the a4 tescos against a strong gusty wind. And the rain caught me on way back. I am definitely slow  but it should come back soon   :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26441 on: Today at 08:31:07 am »
Yes I did get a ride!.all the way to the a4 tescos against a strong gusty wind. And the rain caught me on way back. I am definitely slow  but it should come back soon   :)

Yay!   :thumbsup: