Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3899638 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21850 on: 13 May, 2018, 08:39:26 am »
120k in the sunshine: 30-odd southerly to the Rhein-Marne canal, 25k westwards along that with the wind behind me, a real delight with storks, ducks and swans by the dozen. No herons, funnily enough - they're usually numerous along there.

Lots of cabin-cruiseroids too, and anglers in industrial quantities. Always wary of latter buggers when they cast - my father had grisly tales of getting a hook in his ear.

North-east then into the wind. Had a natter with a bloke who was sticking a horse on his Mustang:

Rather crappy pic 'cos couldn't get any further back & he didn't want his number-plate in it.

On from there to favourite patisserie whereat apple pie & coffee to reinforce me for the trog home. That place has rather inconvenient cups, inverted cones with daft wee handles that need two hands unless your arms end in steel pincers. As I lifted the thing to my lips a black beetle an inch long landed on my forearm, triggering a twitch which caused coffee and pie to meet outside my gut instead of inside as planned. Interesting flavour.

Thereafter 40-odd k to home & beauty. A very pleasant and satisfying day that I wouldn't mind doing over before long.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21851 on: 13 May, 2018, 12:44:03 pm »
A chat to jogler and then out to Milwich via his favourite grass triangle for a sit in the sun,  return via  'Utch then up Fole Bank to Hollington before the Geronimo descent back to Tean. 38km.

I also went via Milwich during the outward leg of my ride from Stafford to Foley Meir FC yesterday lunchtime (I was in Milwich at around 1pm) but avoided the climb back up the bank on the way back by going along the main road from the double roundabouts at Meir Heath down to Stone and back along Route 5.

Things to note.... the "Beast of Milwich" was nowhere to be seen: thankfully and why it is on a perfectly straight and traffic light road (the one leading to said double roundabouts) do some drivers still refuse to give any space when overtaking? Also, the climb back up from the Meir Roundabout along Sandon Road was not as fearsome as I had thought, although the road surface is TERRIBLE. Talking about terrible, the cycle path from Stone to Stone Hockey Club along side the A34 is now covered in grit from the road and is becoming unusable on a road bike. 

Overall, 38 miles in just under three hours with an average speed touching 12mph on the way out and 14mph on the way back.

Agree about Sandon Road on both the incline and surface, I avoid it as a descent because it's lethal.

While the girls were still in bed I headed up Hollington Bank before throwing away the altitude gain down to Greatgate and re-aquiring it up to Freehay, circled round Croxden quarry to Denstone before splashing through the fords to Stramshall and Beamhurst.

It was a bit of a drag into the wind back to Tean and I always forget how easy it is to make a ride lumpy when you use nothing but the lanes in this part of the world. 34km at a decent enough pace for me in the hills.

rogerdodge

• But that was 25 years ago!
« Reply #21852 on: 14 May, 2018, 08:47:25 pm »
Had a very pleasant 60 miles or so in the Warwickshire countryside on Sunday. I couldn't help but feel a bit foolish going into the co-op  wearing my Soreen Jersey to buy some fruity malt loaf. There were quite a few cyclists around, including a very miscellaneous bunch with a trike on the bridge at Long Itchington playing Poohsticks or something.

I know who they were now and wish that I had said "hello".
I'm saying it now.
 Hello.

« Reply #21853 on: 15 May, 2018, 09:55:56 am »
Hello  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21854 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:56:25 pm »
After-work thrash.  Did 53 x 17 into a headwind for a few miles and ripped my legs apart.  Then riding partner crashed on a gravelly turn.  Lots of blood.  Some even got on me as I was straightening out his mech hanger.  Got back ok though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21855 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:11:15 pm »
... and up the Unsuitables (why is it called that anyway?) ...

Maybe because it used to look like this (1:40 onwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBg1x2guGX4

Cheers Chris - I thought it might have been an old green lane with one of the Unsuitable for Motorists signs on it (as illustrated later in my post :)).

Chris S

« Reply #21856 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:30:30 pm »
Well, it is unsuitable for motorists, but as lanes go, there's nothing green about it.

I can climb/descend it on the Mountain Bike; it's a bit sketchy on the Cross, and everything gets much harder when the dog-emptiers are out with their extendable leads.

« Reply #21857 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:09:08 pm »
Out with my local group today, as it was a car-assisted ride from Chalgrove, east of Oxford. Thirteen of us rode into Oxford via Great Milton and Blackbird Leys, then across to the River Isis (aka Thames elsewhere) and along the bank into town. Thwarted at the end by closure for works so had to take to the main road. Got a bit lost in the city but ended up at the Kings Arms for lunch. Return via Cowley and Wheatley getting mixed in with the school run, 35 miles altogether.

Hadn't realised how congested Oxford is these days, with traffic (lots of buses), cyclists and tourists. We were frequently overtaken by fit young students on sit up and beg bikes with wire baskets.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21858 on: 16 May, 2018, 11:27:19 pm »
Wandered between Gare du Nord and La Defense on the Brommie. Someday I'll work out how to run Google Maps for directions simultaneously with Strava but it wasn't today.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21859 on: 18 May, 2018, 08:35:40 am »
After 9 months working each week in the Hague, finally got to explore the Benelux Tunnel under the Maas River.  Foolishly rode by the Hook of Holland because there was a nice tailwind, which was obviously good conditions for kitesurfers (it is possible to pack your kitesurfing kit so that you can carry it on your back while you cycle, though those that were heading into the wind thus laden were struggling). 

Dedicated 900m cycle tunnel under the Maas River., with lifts to take you down to tunnel level.  Brilliant!  Then felt I needed to explore, so followed signs to Brielle, which turned out to be a beautiful old town with a double moat and walls.  It's always dangerous exploring without a plan, as the miles clocked up and the time passed by.  Headed back through the Maas Tunnel and a shorter route back to The Hague.  Had to stop at Delft to call Mrs CET, unfortunately the bars were just closing up.  Back to the hotel for room service pizza and beer at 12:15am. 

With the various excursions turned out to be my longest ever ride after a day's work.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21860 on: 18 May, 2018, 06:12:40 pm »
Trundled the Brommie between La Defense and Gare du Nord without too many diversions. All good fun.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21861 on: 18 May, 2018, 10:21:46 pm »
A gentle potter to Henley via Windsor,Marlow ,Henley,Warren row, knole hill, white Waltham, Windsor and back to slough .Windsor and with Jonathan notp . We did not get to Henley till just after 3.0 pm and Jonathan notp was back home around 8.0 pm . :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21862 on: 20 May, 2018, 11:04:36 am »
14 miles tootle yesterday morning including a stint along NCN4 next to the Kennet and Avon canal near Thatcham.
This morning the family Q rode to the park (3 mile round trip).  It was a Momentous Occasion as I finally fettled the Landescape tandem and MicroQ (age 9) is just big enough to ride as stoker for the first time. Event made better by passing motorist with car load of children shouting “That is so cool!” MicroQ thought so and is enjoying riding much more since we bought her Islabike off Menthel OTP recently.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21863 on: 20 May, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »
Yesterday: beautiful weather but our usual NE wind blowing at a steady 15-20 kph.  Set out with it at my back, aiming to do 70k that way so that I'd have to do 70 back against it. Too much traffic on my chosen route, though, so I took to the hills and went dead south to the canal as last week. Lunch at a windblown canal-side restaurant, then went NW through country I had neglected in the past before, pleasant & peaceful with lots of blossom and rolling fields. Dropped into my favourite pâtisserie an hour or two later to find a bunch of cyclos who were doing the 300k BRM out of Mundolsheim; had a good natter but was left with a lump in my throat since I can't hack that kind of distance any more, though I would dearly love to.  Did the hilly 40k home from there straight into the wind, which was freshening a bit, got there knackered with only 117 km on the clock but 996 metres climbed. Face feels a bit fried on one side today.

Legs were hurting on any climb that took more than a minute: a week's low-carbing plus residual diabetes meds probably starving the muscles, so I shoved in a lot of fast cabs on last stop to make it home on. Otherwise, quite a satisfying ride. Who cares about a bit of pain, right?*

*me

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21864 on: 20 May, 2018, 03:04:07 pm »
Put the cleats on my shoes yesterday and rode out to test them. I was very soon reminded that SPD cleat bolts need to be done up REALLY TIGHT. Rode over the Bridge, cos I haven't been that way for some time, intending to go not much further, but ended up riding right through the Forest. It's an odd part of the world for many reasons, one of which is that the main roads seem to be hillier than the lanes, especially between Coleford and Cinderford.

If this is the centre of the Forest, where are the Hobbits?

Gloucester was basically closed but I was hungry. Had a drinkable yogurt thing which was not exactly good but way less disgusting than Frijj and decided to cut the return journey short by taking a train from Cam.

The new shoes are very comfortable.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21865 on: 20 May, 2018, 03:06:19 pm »
Out again in aid of my eventual rehab as a CSO. Don't know how far ( no computer) nor how long (forgot to look at the exact time when I set out) but it was over 2 hours, further than the last time and I was "doing hills" and not trying to avoid them (until the very end). Life will probably get easier when I have the confidence to put the clicky pedals back on, the good foot tends to wander a bit on the flat plastic jobbie.
Saw a "buze" (buzzard or hawk, not sure which) who took off from his fencepost just in front of me to look for lunch. What a wonderful country the Limousin is. i've yet to cross a wild boar when out on the bike though.

« Reply #21866 on: 20 May, 2018, 03:09:33 pm »
Put the cleats on my shoes yesterday and rode out to test them. I was very soon reminded that SPD cleat bolts need to be done up REALLY TIGHT. Rode over the Bridge, cos I haven't been that way for some time, intending to go not much further, but ended up riding right through the Forest. It's an odd part of the world for many reasons, one of which is that the main roads seem to be hillier than the lanes, especially between Coleford and Cinderford.

If this is the centre of the Forest, where are the Hobbits?

Gloucester was basically closed but I was hungry. Had a drinkable yogurt thing which was not exactly good but way less disgusting than Frijj and decided to cut the return journey short by taking a train from Cam.

The new shoes are very comfortable.

Don't know about the Hobbits, have to ask my auntie, she wrote a history of the forest (but I don't think she mentions Hobbiyts though)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21867 on: 20 May, 2018, 03:36:31 pm »
30km familiarisation ride for my new road bike. Getting used to the new hand position but the brakes feel underpowered despite almost new pads. Found a nice Portuguese cafe in Vauxhall.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #21868 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:03:12 pm »
Much, much further than I have ridden for a long time, out in the sunshine to Harpers chippy in Market Weighton for pineapple ring and chips. Supplemented by a few fig rolls, made it back in about 7 hours total including half a pint of Titanic plum porter at the Hed'on inn, in, er, Hedon and peering at the Giant Bradley's statue in 'Weighton. Quite chuffed with the time and distance, especially with a few hills and a headwind back.  ;D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #21869 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:45:30 pm »
Lovely 90km up and down the hills of West Kent  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21870 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:39:06 pm »
Home from the ALC AGM in Oxfordshire.  I rode down there on Friday, my first fully-loaded ride and first >100km ride of the year.  Discovered that what was left of my endurance seems to have evaporated over the winter, and thanks to digestive problems felt somewhat worse for wear by the time I arrived.

Today was even hotter, so for my second fully-loaded >100km ride I made a conscious effort to keep my heart rate down, and to stop frequently to nibble food and pour water into my hat.  That helped immensely.  As did a Larrington Manoeuvre.
 I'm now fairly knackered, but not in a doom way.  Seem to have mostly avoided the sunburn.  Mostly.

« Reply #21871 on: 21 May, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »
Went out on the mtb today because the woods had looked so tempting yesterday afternoon during our walk. Rode up and back from the forest as well. Saw a red squirrel and heard lots of frogs in a very impressive chorus - no big game though. (Also saw lots of joggers, dog walkers and vttistes).
 All was fine until towards the end of the foresty bit when I took a fall over a little open box ditch with little rocks around it. I don't really know why and I survived without apparent damage apart from scratches but this is just the sort of thing the doctors warned me to avoid with a replacement knee not yet 3 months old so I will have to heed the warnings. No more vtt for at least a couple of months. Those 650B tyres on the tourer are going to see some wear!!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21872 on: 21 May, 2018, 01:27:55 pm »
Haven't seen a 650B for yonks.  Back in the aughties a frame builder wanted to make me one for a 650B rear wheel & a 700c front. I said no.

« Reply #21873 on: 21 May, 2018, 07:06:57 pm »
Haven't seen a 650B for yonks.  Back in the aughties a frame builder wanted to make me one for a 650B rear wheel & a 700c front. I said no.

Very sensible response, stupid idea!

Here's mine (which is a conversion and does not conform to the Confrérie definition of randonneuse but they still accept me as a member). It now wears a front rack and bag and the Hutchinson tyres done for the Confrérie.

Sorry the photos are not very good quality

« Reply #21874 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:53:06 pm »
Yesterday, our response to the royalist gumpf was to visit our favourite caff in a village best known for the parliamentarian victory at the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Naseby

Then stop off for Northamptonshire sausage-y delights

[/url]