Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888688 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21800 on: 14 April, 2018, 11:15:28 pm »
Went for an early ~24km ride from Blakey Ridge to Ingleby incline (& back) in the NYMoors, along the former mining railway line - a really good track.  Saw one other person, and lots of grouse.  The incline looks impressively long & steep - just surveying from the top this time...   :)

Blakey ridge towards Rosedale

IMG_20180414_070356032_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Heading West around the top of Farndale.

IMG_20180414_072658246 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180414_075146944_HDR by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180414_075700410_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Looking down Ingleby incline.

IMG_20180414_075949236 by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21801 on: 15 April, 2018, 08:28:17 am »
Yesterday afternoon, 80+km w. 2 others from club. Hilly & chilly loop thru Germany to Dahn for decent Italian coffee + ice-cream. HRM kaput. Must have pushed a bit too hard, I'm a bit too clobbered to get a ride today. Zut.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21802 on: 15 April, 2018, 04:00:27 pm »
Broke out short sleeves yesterday for Thames Path with LBBG. Slower / more stop and start than I would have liked but that was a consequence of 30+ riders of mixed abilities and machines! Sun for most of the day and some nicely bleak scenery.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21803 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:43:59 am »
Leccy tandem ride with Jan from teh EWT Vitisors' Centre in South Hanningfield to the WW1 aerodrome at Stow Maries for coffee, then on to Maldon for lunch. As we descended to the promenade, I asked Jan "Do you prefer queens or sailors?", those being the choice of pubs. We eschewed the jollity and plumped for the head.

We returned in time to the EWT place to have another coffee. Whilst we were there we saw a tree creeper.

32.5 miles of mist and murk. The sun showed itself briefly but it was never warm enough to bare arms or legs.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21804 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:12:36 am »
On Saturday I went out with the CTC for the first time in at least a year. We went round to Radstock using mostly old railways for coffee in the pit museum, then over the Mendips the flat but muddy way before heading down Draycott to a funny little pub in the shadow of the Mendips. The sun shone and it got quite warm. Then home via Yatton, Strawberry Line (more mud!) and Kenn Moor. 70 or so miles, lots of sun, some new lanes, a good day. One incident that could have been bad but was quite funny: Roger (not that Roger!) was a little in front of me and to my left on a dead-end lane when he hit a drastic speed bump while he had only one hand on the bars, drinking. It was a more vicious design than permitted on roads (in UK at least!) cos this is a private road with byway access. This sent him swerving to his right and had I been about 50cm further forward one of us would have T-boned the other, but as it was, no collision. Even more luckily, he swerved into the only place on the whole road where there was space to to recover; a gate set back from the fence, with a nice grass area in front.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21805 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:49:26 pm »
Did the shorter Henley-in-Icecream route this afternoon.  It started okay, improved somewhat in the middle, and turned into a right slog for the last 15km.  When I got in it became apparent that I was bonking.  On the plus side, my knees were happier than they were on Saturday.  Cyclist's tan is now a work in progress.

« Reply #21806 on: 16 April, 2018, 11:06:27 pm »
Went for an early ~24km ride from Blakey Ridge to Ingleby incline (& back) in the NYMoors, along the former mining railway line - a really good track.  Saw one other person, and lots of grouse.  The incline looks impressively long & steep - just surveying from the top this time...   :)

Very nice. There are some decent forestry trails between the foot of the Incline and Clay Bank, so you can make a proper loop of it tomorrow ;)

« Reply #21807 on: 16 April, 2018, 11:23:30 pm »
I'm in Coniston, and had to go to Kendal for spares for my vaper. A nice 50 km to warm up. 50 km with 1000 metres of climbing, it turns out.

That really was just the warm-up, though, as I was aiming at Gatescarth Pass. It's a famous pass between the river Sprint and Haweswater Reservoir. As it's a green lane open to 4x4s and motorbikes (on certain days only), it's maintained with a surface suitable for such vehicles, ie big fucking rocks. It's probably loads of gnarly fun on a long travel MTB, but it was a bit beyond my ability. I'm really pleased to have gone over it, though, as i've wanted to ride it for about twenty years. And it's stunning.

Back to roads down to Pooley Bridge, then the Old Coach Road, another green lane which started promisingly, but the middle has been shredded to fuck by motorised offroaders. More big rocks at the Western end, where even the motorbikers were using the grass. Cracking views over to Blencathra, though.

I came over Dunmail Raise in the dark, and thought about taking the shortcut via Red Bank, but i'd done enough climbing, and the dogleg out to Ambleside past Rydal along main roads was just the ticket.

140 km and 3000 metres of climbing, or thereabouts. I'm knackered.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21808 on: 17 April, 2018, 05:34:07 pm »
Flat 110+ km loop across to Baden to reserve a restaurant for the ride we're laying on next Sunday. Wonderful weather - 26°C and blossom everywhere. Came back via the Rhein ferry at Drusenheim:

Looks more like a riverine JCB. The river was beautiful, though:

Lovely ride, but restaurant was mediocre and overpriced. We were in the neighbourhood of Baden-Baden so I suppose it was to be expected.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #21809 on: 17 April, 2018, 08:39:17 pm »
First ride in a while - still feeling slightly achy from this lingering cold/bug. Rode to York, not always a nice ride because it is deadpan flat and after the first few rides it becomes a bit repetitively dull. I've taken to riding this 50km section with headphones. What was really nice was just having a ride with no time pressure - so I met up with some friends in York, had a beer and caught a train home. Still achy but really enjoyed the ride.

IMG_20180417_173341026 by Graeme, on Flickr

« Reply #21810 on: 17 April, 2018, 11:49:31 pm »

Very nice. There are some decent forestry trails between the foot of the Incline and Clay Bank, so you can make a proper loop of it tomorrow ;)

Unfortunately I only got two rides in - the ride to the top of Ingleby had to be done in <2hrs before we went home.  Where there's a will...   :)  Still conditions, and sooo quiet.  The moors had been foggy for a few days, and the earlier Thursday pm ride was like this, on the Rosedale railway track from Chimney bank...  Quite a surreal experience in some ways.

IMG_20180412_164559287 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21811 on: 18 April, 2018, 01:43:34 pm »
11 mile round trip to my singing lesson. Lovely day. Came home in my shirtsleeves.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21812 on: 18 April, 2018, 04:23:12 pm »
35 miles with retired group. Gorgeous weather but with stiff breeze, ride included a stop at the historic Falcon in Huntingdon. Staff and patrons very welcoming, choice of four real ales brewed at the pub £1.99 until 5pm, food also very good value, highly recommended. Lots of space at rear.  One of the Easter arrows groups also enjoyed this place.

Ps Despite confusing cycling signs cycling is NOT allowed on the majority of the pedestrianised high street and people have been getting fined. I do wish the people responsible for these rules would get on a bike before setting up the relevant signage in order to assess its suitability.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21813 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:36:45 pm »
After work 30 mile thrash with small group.  No slower than at the end of last season, except up steep hills where I'm carrying winter weight.  The Ron Cooper has a magic carpet ride.  It is so smooth, it feels as if the tyres are soft but they had 110 and 130psi in them.  Downtube levers felt quite normal again.

Edit: my colleague informs me that his TomTom GPS thingy recorded us at 25.5mph for two miles of flat road.  Oops.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21814 on: 19 April, 2018, 08:13:52 pm »
Yes again. Making a habit of this. Maybe 15 miles tonight. Realised cycle computer was indoors after the wife had locked doors as the littlest monkey didn't want daddy to go. Very pleasant eve in the country lanes. Soured slightly but the number of people overtaking on bends or too close and got another visitation. Different wheel this time but again nothing found in tyre. Tube had drawn in around the puncture which looked odd.

« Reply #21815 on: 19 April, 2018, 08:20:24 pm »
15km to and from the bike shop with a frame attached to my back via a couple of inner tubes. Highs of 23 degrees up North today, I don't tend to cycle much when it's nice out, too many Others.

« Reply #21816 on: 20 April, 2018, 10:59:18 am »
I'm in Coniston, and had to go to Kendal for spares for my vaper. A nice 50 km to warm up. 50 km with 1000 metres of climbing, it turns out.

That really was just the warm-up, though, as I was aiming at Gatescarth Pass. It's a famous pass between the river Sprint and Haweswater Reservoir. As it's a green lane open to 4x4s and motorbikes (on certain days only), it's maintained with a surface suitable for such vehicles, ie big fucking rocks. It's probably loads of gnarly fun on a long travel MTB, but it was a bit beyond my ability. I'm really pleased to have gone over it, though, as i've wanted to ride it for about twenty years. And it's stunning.

Back to roads down to Pooley Bridge, then the Old Coach Road, another green lane which started promisingly, but the middle has been shredded to fuck by motorised offroaders. More big rocks at the Western end, where even the motorbikers were using the grass. Cracking views over to Blencathra, though.

I came over Dunmail Raise in the dark, and thought about taking the shortcut via Red Bank, but i'd done enough climbing, and the dogleg out to Ambleside past Rydal along main roads was just the ticket.

140 km and 3000 metres of climbing, or thereabouts. I'm knackered.

That's an impressive trip.  I took a touring bike over Gatescarth a few years ago.  Had to walk most of it, worth the effort for the fantastic views at the top.  It cost me a new pair of cycling shoes, I split the sole climbing over those pigging rocks.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #21817 on: 20 April, 2018, 07:47:18 pm »
26 miles via Gerard s cross harefield and joined the grand union canal down through uxbridge and back to slough along the slough arm . There are still some muddy patches on the towpaths so I will have to clean the trike tomorrow  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21818 on: 20 April, 2018, 11:23:50 pm »
That's an impressive trip.  I took a touring bike over Gatescarth a few years ago.  Had to walk most of it, worth the effort for the fantastic views at the top.  It cost me a new pair of cycling shoes, I split the sole climbing over those pigging rocks.

Yes, my shoes survived, but I think it was a close thing. No wonder the walkers going the other way were smirking.

There's a sign at the northern end (but not at the southern end, weirdly) warning motorbikers, motorists and pony-and-trap drivers that they're only allowed up it on certain days. It's silent on the subject of cyclists.

But horses and carts! Anyone who can manage a horse and cart over that lot is worthy of respect, especially if they swap places with the horse halfway up.

I'll sort out some photos now I'm back home.

« Reply #21819 on: 21 April, 2018, 08:30:48 am »
2kms to fetch the bread and back! "What's that to write about?" they all cry ??? Well it's the first ride on the road since my knee replacement at the end of february  ;D (To be honest I was ready for it last w-e, but Things got in the way). Taking the vtt onto a track in the woods tomorrow  :)

« Reply #21820 on: 21 April, 2018, 08:42:05 am »
Rides like that are everything to write about, mzjo - congratulations on being back on the bike and wishing you and the new knee many more happy kms together!  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21821 on: 21 April, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »
Silly bike racing in dePreston with the BHPC.  Because they seemed so enthusiastic about me coming back last time...

That was some awfully intensive Type 1.5 Fun.  General nervousness about tyres (corners, staying rubber-side-down on) was ultimately more limiting than my lungs, which - surprisingly - were more limiting than my lack of recumbent fitness.  The Red Baron performed flawlessly throughout, because nobody had told it the date.  It was positively egging me on on some of the corners.

I didn't fall off, and thanks to the combination of mitts, elbow pads and a lack of forward planning, I'm now the proud owner of a 2" patch of sunburn on each wrist inna Mark Knopfler style.  I'm not sure where else there is to go with stupid cycling tanlines that doesn't involve baldness or owning a Windcheetah.

« Reply #21822 on: 22 April, 2018, 11:11:50 am »
Silly bike racing in dePreston with the BHPC.  Because they seemed so enthusiastic about me coming back last time...

That was some awfully intensive Type 1.5 Fun.  General nervousness about tyres (corners, staying rubber-side-down on) was ultimately more limiting than my lungs, which - surprisingly - were more limiting than my lack of recumbent fitness.  The Red Baron performed flawlessly throughout, because nobody had told it the date.  It was positively egging me on on some of the corners.

I didn't fall off, and thanks to the combination of mitts, elbow pads and a lack of forward planning, I'm now the proud owner of a 2" patch of sunburn on each wrist inna Mark Knopfler style.  I'm not sure where else there is to go with stupid cycling tanlines that doesn't involve baldness or owning a Windcheetah.

So now we have to find you a Windcheetah on the excuse that you're working on your tan  8)

As promised yesterday, today I did the vtt thing for 1h+. very gently though as 1 I am still recovering, 2 the knee doesn't bend as far or as easily as one would like, which poses more of a problem with the 170mm cranks on the vtt than with the 165mm cranks on the tourer, 3 Phillipa came with me so we took the dog, who limited the speed and the recklessness.
Thanks to Nikki for the words of encouragement yesterday; greatly appreciated.

« Reply #21823 on: 22 April, 2018, 01:08:39 pm »
After a rubbish few months, as a consequence of losing a good friend at the start of the year, followed by my detached retina and asubsequent fall and rib damage - plus working too hard - I finally got out on the bike this weekend. Not a moment too soon given what's coming up!

Yesterday, 52 miles with a quick mate yesterday, including Langbar and Skyrehome, then sitting in his lee as he made 250 watts back along Duck Street (he was very patient).

Today, 40 miles with a couple of other mates, who were I suspect surprised by very low rate of ascent. CV system fine and not really challenged, but legs empty. Not helped by the rear going down so I rode mode of West End, Duck Street and descended Greenhow on the rim and with a slightly binding rear brake. 'Borrowed' an inner tube to put in the Schwalbe One Tubeless (lesson 1 - don't let the sealant dry out before riding) and took it easy home from Pately. (lesson 2 - riding with a tyre so flat the rim keeps hitting the road is uncomfortable and after 10+ miles will leave you needing a new tyre)

I'm tired now:)

Mike

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21824 on: 22 April, 2018, 02:55:56 pm »
Cyclebirmingham ride.  Something funny going on, as they only stayed for one pint.  No, I didn't have any legs left after yesterday.