Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 1861648 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21800 on: April 14, 2018, 05:50:40 pm »
Twelve on this month's Origami ride from Slough on Brompton, Moulton, Dawes machines. Along the Jubilee river (Thames by-pass) to Maidenhead, then up to Cookham mainly off-road for lunch at the Kings Arms.

Brilliant weather, good lunch, and the best and longest ride so far this year  :)

« Reply #21801 on: April 14, 2018, 07:53:01 pm »
A lovely a warm 30k. first proper ride since January and the legs were out. Over to Mersea island for a picnic. New bike did well. Felt a bit sluggish but then I haven't ridden in months and got heavy puncture resistant tyres and had a fair bit of stuff in panniers. Has a visitation which got fast so was hanging over front as needed to get somewhere off the road to change the tube. Couldn't find anything in tyre or the puncture in tube but have previously mended tube so maybe that is failing. Then a glorious sunny day on the beach with friends and family

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #21802 on: April 14, 2018, 07:56:59 pm »
Short sleeves weather.   :thumbsup:

Went out to do the shorter (~55km) Henly-in-Icecream loop, but ended up doing the longer one (70km) instead.  My legs are complaining, but hopefully in a good way.
I do find anything involving ball bearings oddly satisfying

« Reply #21803 on: April 14, 2018, 08:00:19 pm »
SUN!
40km long way into Cambridge and back to meet friends for lunch. Paid £HOW_MUCH!?! at new hipster vegan place for lunch, but even that didn’t dent enjoyment too much. The new A10 infrastructure makes so much difference.

Also, first time in ages not towing or tandemming.
"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world."

« Reply #21804 on: April 14, 2018, 08:00:47 pm »
Out to st Albans and back using the mobile electric chair . 55 miles over a fairly hilly route in lovely warm sunshine . I have taken some photos on my new camera and will try and get them on here but as I only have my mobile it might not work   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21805 on: April 14, 2018, 11:15:28 pm »
Went for an early ~24km ride from Blakey Ridge to Ingleby incline (& back) in the NYMoors, along the former mining railway line - a really good track.  Saw one other person, and lots of grouse.  The incline looks impressively long & steep - just surveying from the top this time...   :)

Blakey ridge towards Rosedale

IMG_20180414_070356032_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Heading West around the top of Farndale.

IMG_20180414_072658246 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180414_075146944_HDR by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180414_075700410_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Looking down Ingleby incline.

IMG_20180414_075949236 by ao, on Flickr

"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #21806 on: April 15, 2018, 08:28:17 am »
Yesterday afternoon, 80+km w. 2 others from club. Hilly & chilly loop thru Germany to Dahn for decent Italian coffee + ice-cream. HRM kaput. Must have pushed a bit too hard, I'm a bit too clobbered to get a ride today. Zut.
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21807 on: April 15, 2018, 04:00:27 pm »
Broke out short sleeves yesterday for Thames Path with LBBG. Slower / more stop and start than I would have liked but that was a consequence of 30+ riders of mixed abilities and machines! Sun for most of the day and some nicely bleak scenery.
2017 - Randonneur 500 ✅ | 2018 target - Randonneur 1,000 (so far: 4x100 + 1x200)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #21808 on: April 16, 2018, 09:43:59 am »
Leccy tandem ride with Jan from teh EWT Vitisors' Centre in South Hanningfield to the WW1 aerodrome at Stow Maries for coffee, then on to Maldon for lunch. As we descended to the promenade, I asked Jan "Do you prefer queens or sailors?", those being the choice of pubs. We eschewed the jollity and plumped for the head.

We returned in time to the EWT place to have another coffee. Whilst we were there we saw a tree creeper.

32.5 miles of mist and murk. The sun showed itself briefly but it was never warm enough to bare arms or legs.
Basses lower the tone.

« Reply #21809 on: April 16, 2018, 10:12:36 am »
On Saturday I went out with the CTC for the first time in at least a year. We went round to Radstock using mostly old railways for coffee in the pit museum, then over the Mendips the flat but muddy way before heading down Draycott to a funny little pub in the shadow of the Mendips. The sun shone and it got quite warm. Then home via Yatton, Strawberry Line (more mud!) and Kenn Moor. 70 or so miles, lots of sun, some new lanes, a good day. One incident that could have been bad but was quite funny: Roger (not that Roger!) was a little in front of me and to my left on a dead-end lane when he hit a drastic speed bump while he had only one hand on the bars, drinking. It was a more vicious design than permitted on roads (in UK at least!) cos this is a private road with byway access. This sent him swerving to his right and had I been about 50cm further forward one of us would have T-boned the other, but as it was, no collision. Even more luckily, he swerved into the only place on the whole road where there was space to to recover; a gate set back from the fence, with a nice grass area in front.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #21810 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:26 pm »
Did the shorter Henley-in-Icecream route this afternoon.  It started okay, improved somewhat in the middle, and turned into a right slog for the last 15km.  When I got in it became apparent that I was bonking.  On the plus side, my knees were happier than they were on Saturday.  Cyclist's tan is now a work in progress.
I do find anything involving ball bearings oddly satisfying

« Reply #21811 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:27 pm »
Went for an early ~24km ride from Blakey Ridge to Ingleby incline (& back) in the NYMoors, along the former mining railway line - a really good track.  Saw one other person, and lots of grouse.  The incline looks impressively long & steep - just surveying from the top this time...   :)

Very nice. There are some decent forestry trails between the foot of the Incline and Clay Bank, so you can make a proper loop of it tomorrow ;)

« Reply #21812 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:30 pm »
I'm in Coniston, and had to go to Kendal for spares for my vaper. A nice 50 km to warm up. 50 km with 1000 metres of climbing, it turns out.

That really was just the warm-up, though, as I was aiming at Gatescarth Pass. It's a famous pass between the river Sprint and Haweswater Reservoir. As it's a green lane open to 4x4s and motorbikes (on certain days only), it's maintained with a surface suitable for such vehicles, ie big fucking rocks. It's probably loads of gnarly fun on a long travel MTB, but it was a bit beyond my ability. I'm really pleased to have gone over it, though, as i've wanted to ride it for about twenty years. And it's stunning.

Back to roads down to Pooley Bridge, then the Old Coach Road, another green lane which started promisingly, but the middle has been shredded to fuck by motorised offroaders. More big rocks at the Western end, where even the motorbikers were using the grass. Cracking views over to Blencathra, though.

I came over Dunmail Raise in the dark, and thought about taking the shortcut via Red Bank, but i'd done enough climbing, and the dogleg out to Ambleside past Rydal along main roads was just the ticket.

140 km and 3000 metres of climbing, or thereabouts. I'm knackered.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #21813 on: April 17, 2018, 05:34:07 pm »
Flat 110+ km loop across to Baden to reserve a restaurant for the ride we're laying on next Sunday. Wonderful weather - 26°C and blossom everywhere. Came back via the Rhein ferry at Drusenheim:

Looks more like a riverine JCB. The river was beautiful, though:

Lovely ride, but restaurant was mediocre and overpriced. We were in the neighbourhood of Baden-Baden so I suppose it was to be expected.
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

Graeme

• BalancingOnTwoWheels
    • Balancing on two wheels
« Reply #21814 on: April 17, 2018, 08:39:17 pm »
First ride in a while - still feeling slightly achy from this lingering cold/bug. Rode to York, not always a nice ride because it is deadpan flat and after the first few rides it becomes a bit repetitively dull. I've taken to riding this 50km section with headphones. What was really nice was just having a ride with no time pressure - so I met up with some friends in York, had a beer and caught a train home. Still achy but really enjoyed the ride.

IMG_20180417_173341026 by Graeme, on Flickr
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21815 on: April 17, 2018, 11:49:31 pm »

Very nice. There are some decent forestry trails between the foot of the Incline and Clay Bank, so you can make a proper loop of it tomorrow ;)

Unfortunately I only got two rides in - the ride to the top of Ingleby had to be done in <2hrs before we went home.  Where there's a will...   :)  Still conditions, and sooo quiet.  The moors had been foggy for a few days, and the earlier Thursday pm ride was like this, on the Rosedale railway track from Chimney bank...  Quite a surreal experience in some ways.

IMG_20180412_164559287 by ao, on Flickr
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #21816 on: April 18, 2018, 01:43:34 pm »
11 mile round trip to my singing lesson. Lovely day. Came home in my shirtsleeves.
Basses lower the tone.

« Reply #21817 on: April 18, 2018, 04:23:12 pm »
35 miles with retired group. Gorgeous weather but with stiff breeze, ride included a stop at the historic Falcon in Huntingdon. Staff and patrons very welcoming, choice of four real ales brewed at the pub £1.99 until 5pm, food also very good value, highly recommended. Lots of space at rear.  One of the Easter arrows groups also enjoyed this place.

Ps Despite confusing cycling signs cycling is NOT allowed on the majority of the pedestrianised high street and people have been getting fined. I do wish the people responsible for these rules would get on a bike before setting up the relevant signage in order to assess its suitability.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #21818 on: April 18, 2018, 08:36:45 pm »
After work 30 mile thrash with small group.  No slower than at the end of last season, except up steep hills where I'm carrying winter weight.  The Ron Cooper has a magic carpet ride.  It is so smooth, it feels as if the tyres are soft but they had 110 and 130psi in them.  Downtube levers felt quite normal again.

Edit: my colleague informs me that his TomTom GPS thingy recorded us at 25.5mph for two miles of flat road.  Oops.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #21819 on: Yesterday at 08:13:52 pm »
Yes again. Making a habit of this. Maybe 15 miles tonight. Realised cycle computer was indoors after the wife had locked doors as the littlest monkey didn't want daddy to go. Very pleasant eve in the country lanes. Soured slightly but the number of people overtaking on bends or too close and got another visitation. Different wheel this time but again nothing found in tyre. Tube had drawn in around the puncture which looked odd.

« Reply #21820 on: Yesterday at 08:20:24 pm »
15km to and from the bike shop with a frame attached to my back via a couple of inner tubes. Highs of 23 degrees up North today, I don't tend to cycle much when it's nice out, too many Others.