Author Topic: Budget DSLR  (Read 11174 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Budget DSLR
« Reply #25 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:37:45 pm »
Wellllllll... Not to pour cold water, but I don't think you'll get much more than your Pentax already offers, other than Mp and better low-light performance. And you'll lose that nice LCD on top of the camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-rebel-t6-1300d-review

Except my Pentax body does not support HSM/ ultrasonic motors, as it has only got a screw drive motor lens focusing.  As you say however the nice LCD on the top of the Pentax Body is rather a nice feature.  Do any Canon bodys have that? I'm not going to rush into anything now, while a shiny new camera would be nice for my 40th (as a gift from me, to me) I may as well wait till I can get a feel of Canon / Nikon DSLRs and see whats available.  No doubt there will be good bargains available the nearer we get to Santa time.

In any case, my TV is now fubared (backlight failure), so funds will need to be spent replacing that - really not worthwhile repairing an 8 year old 42" lcd tv!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #26 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:13:20 pm »
The answer is to go to your local purple shirted purveyor of anbaric imaging essentials and molest a few bodies until you find one you like.
I thought I might like the D5300 until I picked it up (My hand size is a bit bigger than is comfortable for that model).

Better than trying to chose vicariously, as all our options and compromises are different.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27 on: 20 October, 2017, 08:33:51 am »
+1

Top-dwelling LCDs tend to come with the more expensive cameras: the cheaper ones make do with the rear LCD.  You get used to it, I suppose - it doesn't bother me when I use a compact or mirrorless instead of the SLR.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

« Reply #28 on: 20 October, 2017, 07:15:55 pm »
The answer is to go to your local purple shirted purveyor of anbaric imaging essentials and molest a few bodies until you find one you like.
I thought I might like the D5300 until I picked it up (My hand size is a bit bigger than is comfortable for that model).

Better than trying to chose vicariously, as all our options and compromises are different.

Well, I had a good fiddle with the bodies in the local purple shirt store.

Nikon D5300. Felt far too small and awkward in my hand! Needless to say I didn't bother picking up any of the new fangled mirrorless interchangable lens system cameras as they were even more wee!

Of the Canon 1300D and the 750D, the 750D felt better for some reason!  ??? And the fact that the 750D can take an external microphone (I must finish off building my stereo pair of omnidirectional mikes.), means that this might be a better camera (or a used one of a similar level) rather than the entry level 1300D.

I think I'd be better off having a look at the used market, as I recon I could get a better body for my money buying used, rather than  brand new.  Which would give me more money to put into glass, such as the Sigma 105 macro....  I'll probably take a visit to Calumet Photographic in Edinburgh soon, as probably better advise there, than Purple Shirt Land! Plus calumet does do some used gear..

« Reply #29 on: 20 October, 2017, 10:03:39 pm »
There are some real bargains to be had in used dslr land. Original Canon 5d's and even 1Ds3's are not that expensive now and all have more than respectable photographic qualities.

Although I'm now on a newer camera the main advantage seems to be that the new Sony sensors have enough dynamic range for an old film shooter

David Martin

« Reply #30 on: 20 October, 2017, 10:40:34 pm »

Well, I had a good fiddle with the bodies in the local purple shirt store.

Nikon D5300. Felt far too small and awkward in my hand! Needless to say I didn't bother picking up any of the new fangled mirrorless interchangable lens system cameras as they were even more wee!

Indeed, that is why I went for the D7100 (second hand) when I recently upgraded. Can't fault it and the newer models are even better. It does right by me. You're welcome to have a play with it if you are ever heading into Dundee and environs (and the Sigma 105)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #31 on: 21 October, 2017, 11:19:48 am »
I think I'd be better off having a look at the used market, as I recon I could get a better body for my money buying used, rather than  brand new.  Which would give me more money to put into glass, such as the Sigma 105 macro....  I'll probably take a visit to Calumet Photographic in Edinburgh soon, as probably better advise there, than Purple Shirt Land! Plus calumet does do some used gear..

Push the boat out and get a used Canon 80D body from MPB.com 

It's a seriously accomplished camera that leans heavily towards being a superb 1080p video camera. The dual-pixel, touch screen, focussing is still the best on any camera at ANY price.

Don't dick about with an average kit lens, just buy the excellent Canon 18-135mm IS STM.  I had one and it's superb.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

BrianI

« Reply #32 on: 21 October, 2017, 07:48:46 pm »

It's a seriously accomplished camera that leans heavily towards being a superb 1080p video camera. The dual-pixel, touch screen, focussing is still the best on any camera at ANY price.

Don't dick about with an average kit lens, just buy the excellent Canon 18-135mm IS STM.  I had one and it's superb.

Sadly, £700 odd for a used camera body is way out of my budget!   :'(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #33 on: 22 October, 2017, 03:21:41 pm »
Being a cheapskate, I have almost always bought cameras that were either new but superseded, or used - which usually means superseded anyway.  I'd certainly rather have a used camera that cost me £700 and met my requirements than endure the limitations of a new one at the same price.

For landscape you need mostly lots of pixels and decent ISO performance/dynamic range. [Semi]pro-level cameras were offering that from around 2010 on.  If you look through the mid-range, semi-pro or even pro Canon or Nikon cameras from about then up until however much your budget can stand you should find something good. A Canon EOS 50D, for example, can turn out very good results but shouldn't cost you more than £450 with a lens thrown in. There's a 60D body going here for around 430€.

The Nikon equivalent would be something in the D7x00 range.  I know a few folk who use them and are well pleased.

David Martin

« Reply #34 on: 22 October, 2017, 07:54:27 pm »
very pleased with the D7100. Kind of comfortable for me and the way I work.

BrianI

« Reply #35 on: 23 October, 2017, 02:03:54 pm »
A quick follow up.
Visited my Localish Camera Shop (Calumet, Edinburgh), and came home with a Canon 750D with EF-S 18-55 IS STM kit lens, and a Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.

It'll certainly be interesting to compare the Pentax K100D with the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6, with the Canon 750D with the Canon 10-18!   :D

Fun times ahead. And luckily I'm on a weeks annual leave this week, so ideal to get out and about with my new camera!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #36 on: 23 October, 2017, 06:42:54 pm »

Canon 70D?

BrianI

« Reply #37 on: 23 October, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »

Canon 70D?
Ended up going for a new 750D  :)

David Martin

« Reply #38 on: 23 October, 2017, 11:18:46 pm »
Sounds great, and I can't wait to see the results.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #39 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:41:12 am »
I saw in DP Review that it'll take ordinary EF lenses as well so you'll have a wide choice of used lenses available for future birthdays etc.  I'd go for a couple of primes - someone (Ken Rockwell?) once remarked that when you buy a zoom you almost always use it at the most extreme of its limits.

Have fun!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #40 on: 24 October, 2017, 03:30:28 pm »
someone (Ken Rockwell?) once remarked that when you buy a zoom you almost always use it at the most extreme of its limits.

I know what he means, using a prime teaches you to squeeze the best from one focal-length,  but my "carry lens" is now a 24-105 F4. 

I think the ISO sensitivity of modern DSLRs makes "darker" zooms much more viable as a "carry lens" than they once were* (and there's no fun in swapping prime lenses on a windy day near a beach).

*I used to use Kodachrome 25** which made my 50mm f/1.7 essential.

** Yes Kids, you read that right... ISO 25...for photographing Dinosaurs

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 24 October, 2017, 03:49:46 pm »

How I LOVED my Kodachrome 25!

I was good that the York Rally coincided with the Summer solstice but I used it for rather more...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #42 on: 24 October, 2017, 04:56:06 pm »

Me too. But after a Nat. Geog article mentioned how one Oz photog obtained great saturated colours, I got crazy and pushed it to 32.

Staying in Sunnyvale for a while was great - you could get same-day development for K25. It was cheap, too.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #43 on: 24 October, 2017, 06:08:02 pm »

I got crazy and pushed it to 32.

ISO 32 (or "32 ASA" for us of a certain age) .. Madness, you'll fall off the edge going that far!!!

Amazing though isn't it?  I don't hesitate to use ISO 3200 on my Canon 6D.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #44 on: 24 October, 2017, 07:14:14 pm »
It is easy to see how spoilt we have become!

A one hundredfold increase in light sensitivity and similar reduction in cost has totally changed our tendency to be snap-happy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #45 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:57:45 am »
You didn't see folk taking a pic and instantly looking at the back of the camera, either.

I took a roll with my old OM-2 a couple of years ago and caught myself doing just that. Not a lot to be seen, apart from the end flap off the film box (HP3 I think).

Apparently the distinguishing sign between the pro tog and the amateur is that the pro doesn't continually check his results.  I have "review" turned off on those of my cameras that allow it, but I still can't quite bring myself not to have a peek.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #46 on: 25 October, 2017, 09:08:09 am »
This is turning into the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

...and you try telling the kids today that........and they won't believe you.

David Martin

« Reply #47 on: 25 October, 2017, 11:24:45 am »
HP3? HP5 surely. Faster than FP4.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #48 on: 25 October, 2017, 01:34:20 pm »
HP5? That new fangled stuff?