Author Topic: Sending SMS from a Mac  (Read 2572 times)

Sending SMS from a Mac
« on: 22 December, 2017, 04:06:04 pm »
Is there a trustworthy app that can allow me to send SMS via my Android phone from my MacBook Air?

I used to have a couple of things that did this but I ditched them -  privacy and security concerns - and they might have been for Windows, it was years ago.

Feels wrong to need to use a phone to text when there is a laptop right here. Presumably this wouldn’t be an issue if I had an iPhone.

rr

Re: Sending SMS from a Mac
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:13:10 pm »
The pulse SMS app has a, subscription, option to sync and send messages from a browser or app on a computer
https://messenger.klinkerapps.com/overview/
I use the android app which is very nice, I've not tried the paid extension. As I understand it the phone still sends the actual message.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:16:28 pm »
Indeed, if you got an iPhone, it all just works, I can SMS from messages and take calls via the computer. I assume there's something similar for Android.

Not helpful, I know, but I'm avoid doing any more work this afternoon and killing time before a final work call so I can go to the pub, so bear with me.

« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:22:15 pm »
As I understand it the phone still sends the actual message.

That’s a given - it’s really just the relative hassle of texting on a phone vs a proper keyboard.

The impression I am getting is that most options involve your SMS being uploaded to some website. That seems to be in excess of my needs. It’s not that I am texting anything of note, but I’d rather just have something that works locally if such a thing exists.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:23:09 pm »
If you use Whatsapp instead of SMS you could use their web interface, whatssppweb. I'm ussing it'll work on a Mac, but as it's just a web page I can't see why not.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »
I feel as if I exceed some unwritten age limit to be a WhatsApp user.

« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2017, 06:38:05 pm »
If you use Whatsapp instead of SMS you could use their web interface, whatssppweb. I'm ussing it'll work on a Mac, but as it's just a web page I can't see why not.

It does, but for some unknown reason it likes your phone to be somewhere in the vicinity and switched on.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »
There's a whatsapp native app for Macs.

Also, something like Pushbullet will let you see any texts/messages you recieve on your phone and reply to them.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2017, 09:29:15 pm »
Airmore is a good app for sending SMS's from a Mac.  It's also my preferred way of transferring music to (and photos from) my Android phone.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2017, 09:01:24 am »

Err ... WhatsApp is the new SMS.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2017, 09:37:51 am »

Err ... WhatsApp is the new SMS.

Not really, it is part of the loss of the ubiquitous service that was common across carriers and it’s replacement by proprietary systems designed to tie users into one platform or another.
It is simpler than it looks.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2017, 10:48:54 am »
Try Signal. It is a secure end to end SMS but integrates with the SMS backbone to allow non-secure messaging.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:55:29 am »

It does, but for some unknown reason it likes your phone to be somewhere in the vicinity and switched on.

Whatsapp messages are encrypted by the sender with the public key of the person (if you're sending to a group then a copy is encrypted per person with their respective public key) you are contacting. The only thing that holds the private key to decrypt a message is on the recipient's phone.

The Whatsapp Web interface can't talk to Whatsapp's servers to get your messages because they're all encrypted (and Whatsapp does not have any way to decrypt them) and so the Whatsapp Web interface is actually talking to your phone (it's just using Whatsapp's servers to do this) in order to get access to your messages. That's why the phone has to be switched on. It doesn't have to be in the vicinity (it worked fine when I left my phone at home and I used the web interface at work, which I had previously set up.)

The QR code thing you scanned on the webpage when first using the whatsapp web interface is actually another encryption key so your phone can re-encrypt a copy of the messages so that only that webpage has access to the decrypted messages. All messages that pass through Whatsapp's servers are still always encrypted.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2018, 05:03:56 pm »
The standard Android Messages app now lets you send messages from a web browser on your computer. Make sure you have the latest version of the app, then choose the menu in the top right, then "Messages for web".
Then go to https://messages.android.com/ on your computer, and scan the QR code on your phone.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2018, 10:29:55 pm »
I have used various web version of android apps. What amazes me is the speed that it scans and links up. The phone barely focuses/scans/beeps the QR before the browser logs in.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit