Author Topic: Depression and language; self-centred or black and white?  (Read 1253 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Depression and language; self-centred or black and white?
« on: 06 February, 2018, 07:17:03 pm »
There's a fairly interesting article here about investigation into the links between depression and use of language. Perhaps surprisingly, the most noticeable change to language use of people with depression was not in emotional words, though there was an increase in use of "sad" words, but in pronouns and "absolutism". People with depression use more first-person pronouns than other people. This might be because depression causes people to focus on themselves. Or it might be that people who are inward-looking are more likely to get depression. Even more marked than the change in pronoun use was the increase in "absolutist" words, like always, never, all, nothing. These were found to be the best linguistic marker for mental health.

This has potential use in diagnosis of mental health issues as well as in understanding of the processes. Although it occurs to me that as the analyses were done on mental health forums, they were of people who were already aware of their depression, so it's not yet clear how useful this would be as diagnosis.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Depression and language; self-centred or black and white?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:21:43 pm »
Haven't read the article, but it sounds like it touches on the concepts of NLP, which comes down to the idea that you can program your brain through language.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2018, 08:20:17 pm »
No, it's not talking about programming your brain, though I suppose that could be an application of these findings too. It's about the language we use expressing our mental state, which is obvious really, but not usually quantified. It doesn't suggest language as therapy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:03:47 pm »
Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I was referring to is the NLP claimed link between brains and words, being why NLP claims to be able to programme brains through words, making it a two way street. The idea is that words go to the core of our sentience. I suppose I ought to read the article sometime soon ;)