Author Topic: New 2018 Brompton underbar Shifters  (Read 2485 times)

New 2018 Brompton underbar Shifters
« on: 15 March, 2018, 06:45:50 pm »
These look quite nice

has anyone fitted them to their older Bikes - I think that they are now available, (but not sure??), for retro fit at about £30 each - 2 needed
(but not for M bars - would this be because of the cable lengths?)

opinion could be mixed

https://clevercycles.com/blog/2016/10/14/a-first-look-at-bromptons-2017-underbar-shifters/

Re: New 2018 Brompton underbar Shifters
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2018, 08:05:23 pm »
They're not as good for bang-shifting quickly as the old design, and thus of no interest to me.

As well as the new levers you also need to replace part of the chain pusher to one with a cable clamp.

(the old design has the cable head inside the chain pusher spring and the clamped end in the lever)

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2018, 06:32:33 pm »
I've tried both styles; like the ones on my 2013 better. The latest one have windows to tell you which gear(s) you're in.
The older ones, I can tell which gears I'm in by feel. Plus, you can't see gear indicators at night. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgAolPxEhhk&index=30&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2018, 09:27:08 pm »
Plus, you can't see gear indicators at night. :)

I've greatly improved the low-light readability of various Shimano trigger shifters by carefully dismantling the indicator module and adding a sliver of white Scotchlite tape to the visible side of the pointer.  Another strip on the outside alongside the window provides a reference.

It works stupendously well under the light of the feeblest of head-torches, and being white (rather than red) is generally visible under street lighting, even by specular reflection.  That covers about 95% of my nocturnal cycling - some guesswork can be required for the remainder.  A worthwhile improvement for 10 minutes work and a homeopathic quantity of Scotchlite.

No idea how conducive the Brompton design is to such treatment...

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:00:55 pm »
That is remarkably cunning, if slightly less exotic than I might have expected from a Kim mod; wot, no radium paint or tritium vials?  ;D