Author Topic: Validation timescales ?  (Read 1839 times)

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
Validation timescales ?
« on: 06 April, 2018, 12:40:32 pm »
Is there a standard maximum time to have rides validated, how long should I wait before giving the organiser a nudge ?

I'm still in my first year of Audaxing, so not completely familiar with all timescales, but I recall having to chase up and sometimes resubmit files several times (calendar events have been fine, but the other 3 flavours have been problematic).

I recently waited 7 weeks before contacting an organiser for a ride in January, and currently have another one outstanding from early February.

If this is usual and reasonable then of course that's absolutely fine, I'm just trying to learn what to expect.

Chris S

Re: Validation timescales ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2018, 01:12:15 pm »
Is it me? I'm really busy at the moment!

BeMoreMike

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2018, 01:22:23 pm »
Ha...no, not this time Chris !!  ;)

I don't want to get into identifying anyone on here, or even narrowing down by elimination, just trying to establish when the "lag of weeks" (as stated on the AUK results page) becomes an issue that's needs following up.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2018, 01:51:30 pm »
Ha...no, not this time Chris !!  ;)

I don't want to get into identifying anyone on here, or even narrowing down by elimination, just trying to establish when the "lag of weeks" (as stated on the AUK results page) becomes an issue that's needs following up.

I've never known anyone be denied validation because the organiser was lagging behind for whatever reason - but that doesn't mean it's never happened. Generally speaking, most of us validate DIYs "within a few weeks" - depending on real life demands, so if a month has gone by and you've not heard anything - a quick email to the organiser saying "did you get my ride submission?" is not unreasonable; I've been getting  a few of them recently, and it's fine.

BeMoreMike

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2018, 02:18:49 pm »
Cheers :thumbsup: that's clarified what I was thinking. My expectation was a month before seeing a result published and i'd always wait at least 6 weeks before querying anything.

My ride from February will be 8 weeks this weekend...so there might be an issue with that. I'll follow it up.

I'm guessing if a ride isn't going to be validated, ie: for not meeting the criteria, or infringement of the rules etc, then the organiser would always inform the victim of this. They wouldn't leave them wondering ?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2018, 04:42:05 pm »
Note that for rides where a Tracklog has been uploaded to the AUK server for validation purposes, these are retained for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 3 months, before being automatically deleted.  If things are taking this long routinely then maybe those times should be extended a little. 
This is only the ridden Tracklog - the 'intended' file is retained much longer - 6-7 months.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2018, 05:47:35 pm »
I'm guessing if a ride isn't going to be validated, ie: for not meeting the criteria, or infringement of the rules etc, then the organiser would always inform the victim of this. They wouldn't leave them wondering ?

Definitely. If you've not heard anything at all, it's 99% likely to be because the organiser is (a) busy, (b) on holiday or (c) snowed under with validations because everyone's suddenly gone out on their bikes now the snow's melted ;).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2018, 06:50:22 pm »
There's once or twice where I've done all the paperwork but not clicked the right button on the website and had a nudge from a rider.  My AUK admin is often done late at night after work and family commitments have been discharged and brain fade can cause oversight, especially if Mrs CET would like a cup of tea half way through the process (that's one area where she does take priority over cycling), so in those cases I've welcomed a nudge.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

BeMoreMike

« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:24:46 pm »
especially if Mrs CET would like a cup of tea half way through the process (that's one area where she does take priority over cycling),

The power that a well timed offer of "a nice cup of tea" holds should never be forgotton, (personally I can't stand the stuff, but my fair lady surrives on it).

Thanks for all the advice given to my original question...every day is a school day on this forum  :thumbsup:

It makes me smile when I think that 12 months ago a long distance bike ride would involve cycling somewhere, and then back again, maybe along a different route, and then sometimes noodling around local roads towards the end to reach a desired distance.
Now Audax has changed everything....I feel like i'm on a cycling post graduate course !!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2018, 12:58:44 pm »
Your Audax Bachelor's degree is an SR Series followed by a PBP.  Your post-graduate courses should involve obscure and impossible permanents like the Cambrian 4C and/or 1200kms event in Bulgaria, Russia, and the like  ;D

However, the great joy of Audax is that there are so many different events in different places, that there's events for pretty much everyone.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

BeMoreMike

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2018, 03:09:31 pm »
Your Audax Bachelor's degree is an SR Series followed by a PBP.  Your post-graduate courses should involve obscure and impossible permanents like the Cambrian 4C and/or 1200kms event in Bulgaria, Russia, and the like  ;D

By those standards i'm still doing my A-Levels !!
I was an unsuccessful LEL away from an SR last year and I have my first ever 400 planed for next month, so hope to complete at least the qualification for PBP this year.

as for the rest of that ?.... :hand: