Author Topic: Amesbury Amble 300km  (Read 3590 times)

AK

• Bloggy blog
Amesbury Amble 300km
« on: 10 April, 2018, 11:40:57 am »
Hi,

first post and first audax on Saturday, riding the Kingston Wheelers' Amesbury Amble. Very much looking forward to it and the weather forecast looks pretty good.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
Re: Amesbury Amble 300km
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:51:42 am »
Greetings AK,

If our Helper's Ride last Saturday was anything to go by, you will hopefully have a great ride, with some super scenery, including spring lambs and picture-book thatch cottages en route, also many quiet roads on the Wiltshire Cycleway. Not to mention passing the now infamous and topical Porton Down (no photos allowed!)

Look forward to greeting you and all other finishers in Raynes Park!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2018, 01:40:34 pm »
Greetings AK,

If our Helper's Ride last Saturday was anything to go by, you will hopefully have a great ride, with some super scenery, including spring lambs and picture-book thatch cottages en route, also many quiet roads on the Wiltshire Cycleway. Not to mention passing the now infamous and topical Porton Down (no photos allowed!)

Look forward to greeting you and all other finishers in Raynes Park!

Cheers Pete,

the route looks great. I'm actually quite excited about seeing Lasham as I used to do a bit of gliding at University. I'll be looking forward to seeing Raynes Park at the end too!

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2018, 07:39:39 pm »
Got the updated instructions today.  Sorry for being a technophobe but I am still getting to grips with my Garmin Edge Touring.  For the best routing for this model is it the tcx or the gpx option?

Thanks in advance.

Dominic

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2018, 09:33:00 pm »
It is a wonderful route – I rode it last year. My favourite parts were through Hampshire and Wiltshire, but even Wokingham and Bracknell have some interest (not sure I'd call it charm!).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:47:30 am »
Got the updated instructions today.  Sorry for being a technophobe but I am still getting to grips with my Garmin Edge Touring.  For the best routing for this model is it the tcx or the gpx option? Dominic

probably the GPX, but I am no expert - plenty of experts here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=63.0

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2018, 10:00:30 am »
Thanks, think I have found the answer on ridewithgps.com.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2018, 10:06:46 am »
Great day out yesterday, with lots of new roads, blessed by the first truly warm and sunny day of the year.

Congrats to Richard and the Kingston Krew!

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2018, 10:50:17 am »
Hi. So my first audax yesterday and I had a blast. I really enjoyed the route and the weather was perfect. I had the usual first event nerves, particularly about navigating and relying so heavily on a Garmin for the first time but that side of things all went really well. It was fab chatting to all the people I met on the course, in particular Keith, who I rode with for most of the way. Well done to Richard and the Wheelers for a really great event. Thank you!

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2018, 03:08:23 pm »
Yep, excellent route. The countryside after Amesbury after the sun came out was particularly gorgeous. Thanks organisers!

« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:53:37 am »
Thanks all for riding our event, hope you had a grand day out.
We had 151 entries; 42 DNS; 9 DNF; and 100 finishers from 11h30 to 19h40.
Lost property: one pair of black small gloves - email me off-list if you think they might be yours.

Our next event is the Dauntsey Dawdle 400 on 19th May, http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-297/
We are a little under-subscribed on this one, about 40 entries so far, we think because it clashes with the mighty Bryan Chapman...but possibly also the FA cup final and the royal wedding. Anyway, it's a great escape route from any of those!

See you up the road
cheers
LBR

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:33:49 am »

We had 151 entries; 42 DNS

Seems a bit high for an almost perfect day, weatherwise...  ::-)

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:34:50 pm »
Thanks all for riding our event, hope you had a grand day out.
We had 151 entries; 42 DNS; 9 DNF; and 100 finishers from 11h30 to 19h40.
Lost property: one pair of black small gloves - email me off-list if you think they might be yours.

Our next event is the Dauntsey Dawdle 400 on 19th May, http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-297/
We are a little under-subscribed on this one, about 40 entries so far, we think because it clashes with the mighty Bryan Chapman...but possibly also the FA cup final and the royal wedding. Anyway, it's a great escape route from any of those!

See you up the road

Rich, the gloves are mine  (Karrimor ones). Wore them out to hq as it was so cold then didn’t use them in the event. I’m down to do your 400 so can pick them up then? Thanks again. Really enjoyed my first Audax.
cheers

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »

At 02:00hrs on Saturday 14th April 2018 I left the house to cycle 30 miles through London to  get to Raynes Park before 6am. The ‘Amesbury Amble 300km’ would be my first audax outside of London and I was looking forward to it. I was unsure if cycling 30miles before and after would be too much, it would bring the distance to 400km and I had a bad time the last time I attempted to cycle that distance. Still, there is no point worrying I guess, if there was a problem I would deal with it.

The cycle through central London proved to be quite exciting however dodging late night party goes, looked like there would be a few headaches in the morning. It was not the most direct route either but I made it to the start around 5am.

After a second breakfast of some rasin wheats       and a bit of waiting around it was 6am and time to go.

The first stage to Lasham was a bit of a disaster. A thick fog descended and I didn’t see a massive pot hole in the road. I felt my back wheel slam against it but as far as I could see and tell the tyre showed no sign of delation at the time. I was also in desperate need to find hedge or bush to water so wasn’t paying close enough attention to route sheet and went off course for a while. While off the route I did find a Sainsburys superstore and made use of their facilities.

Feeling much better I headed back on the road and found myself on a dual carriageway with some time trial cyclists (by the look of them.) Definitely off route I took the first exit I could and then followed the sat nav app on my phone to take me the rest of the way to the first control.

I got my card stamped and ordered something to eat. The second stage to Amesbury was better and the fog had gone which was good. Despite missing the first turn on the routesheet and having to back track I seemed to make some good time and started to enjoy it. I think it also helped that I was now in the countryside and everything wasn’t built up.

I encountered a cow in the road which looked like it could fo serious damage with those horns! Thankfully it was sleeping though.

This stage was the longest of the day and I had decided I would stop at the Wetherspoons in Amesbury for a decent but cheap meal! However there would be another setback before arriving. Coming down a hill the back end of the bike felt very wobbly, I stopped and felt the tyre and it was very soft. I guess that pot hole from earlier had finally take it’s revenge. It was at that moment that I remembered I only had one inner tube with me as I forgot to replace it after a deflation in February. So with only one shot at getting back on the road I replaced the tube and fought the tyre back on to the wheel. It inflated and stayed inflated. A cyclist who I would later finish the audax with helped me get the wheel back on the bike. Then it was straight to Wetherspoons and the cold Pepsi never tasted so refreshing. I was tempted to have another but wanted to make up some time.

On the next stage passing through the military area with signs warning of tank crossings I caught up with somebody else on the audax. My original plan was just to say “hi,” as I overtook but we got chatting and ended up riding to the finish together. After twenty kilometers or so I found out his name was John. The section to Whitchurch had some nice rolling hills which were quite pleasant. I had been struggling most of the day with the temperature. It turned out to be a lovely sunny day but I had nowhere to store my jacket, so although unzipped, I was still quite hot. So around this time of the day I was quite glad the sun was setting and I could zip up and maintain a comfortable body temperature on the climbs.

At the cafe in Whitchurch I bumped into the guy who helped me with my wheel just as he was leaving and then we caught up with him again at Bracknell. The underpass under the roundabouts proved a bit tricky to navigate but eventually the Esso garage presented itself. John invited Calvin to ride with us to the finish and the three of us raced ahead. The last stage through the darkness seemed to pass by really quickly. We made it back to arrivee at around 01:30 with one hour to spare. We were the last to arrive so had our pick of all the food left over!

I then cycled the last 30 miles back to Harlow arriving home around 5:30am. Surprisingly after having cycled 400km in total if not more my legs felt quite strong. After having been awake for more than 24 hours and spending most of that time cycling my head wasn’t so strong and I pretty much collapsed into bed asleep when I got in!

It was a great day out, many thanks to the organisers and my riding companions!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:18:59 pm »

I'm one of the DNS -  broken ribs courtesy of an off a week ago.  Really sorry to have missed it, last year's was a cracker.
How much can a koala bear?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:53:17 pm »
Well I'm keenly eyeing up the 400 (despite my usual comp tickets to the cup final and wedding). So feel free to tempt us with more info and/or blatant PR spin.

(I think I'll need to use the advertised accom on the Friday night; any details about the arrangements - e.g. times - Rich? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2018, 01:13:48 pm »

I entered the Kingston 200, 300, and 400.

The 200 was cancelled, the 300 was killed off by a work trip. Waiting to see what screws up my chance to ride the 400  :facepalm:

« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2018, 02:23:03 pm »
The above sounds similar to me.  Trying to be optimistic about the 400!!

« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2018, 04:51:02 pm »
(I think I'll need to use the advertised accom on the Friday night; any details about the arrangements - e.g. times - Rich? )

I'm not the org for the 400, but hopefully he'll be along soon, I think he's planning to be at scout hall on Friday night to set up breakfast from 8-10pm, and so that's when you should aim to arrive.

« Reply #19 on: 18 April, 2018, 06:06:13 pm »
A belated thank you to Rich and all his helpers. A great day out. Not even Bracknell could spoil it..........The food at the finish was the equal of last year , that fruit salad takes some beating.
And thanks to Ian for his company for a big chunk of the ride. KWAC is getting quite good at this........