Author Topic: London-Harwich ferry route  (Read 1490 times)

London-Harwich ferry route
« on: 10 April, 2018, 07:43:07 pm »
This summer my parents are going to be in the Netherlands for a month, so my brother and I have hatched a plan to take a long weekend and cycle to see them. We were thinking of doing 3 days: London-Harwich to the overnight ferry, Hook of Holland-Utrecht and stay the night, then Utrecht-Hook and an overnight ferry and train back to London. What's the London-Harwich journey like? Does anyone have a decent route, or should I just see what cycle.travel or similar suggest?

Re: London-Harwich ferry route
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2018, 07:50:41 pm »
Check out  The Fridays website, and enquire there.
London > Harwich has been ridden a number of times.
It has included a ferry crossing from Mersea Island to Brightlingsea, for which the ferryman got out of bed by prior arrangement at 05:00am to accommodate our needs.
If your rider numbers are low (fewer than ~30) , he may be disinclined to assist.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2018, 08:58:46 pm »
I've done Harwich a few times from home, this has been my best route so far back to Chelmsford which might offer up some food for thought:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1189737627

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2018, 12:48:04 pm »
Check out  The Fridays website, and enquire there.
London > Harwich has been ridden a number of times.
It has included a ferry crossing from Mersea Island to Brightlingsea, for which the ferryman got out of bed by prior arrangement at 05:00am to accommodate our needs.
If your rider numbers are low (fewer than ~30) , he may be disinclined to assist.

Ta; I found a link to a RWGPS page someone posted in the Other Place for the Fridays route, so will use that as a basis - and will keep the ferry in mind!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2018, 10:09:36 pm »
We have ridden out from east London several times to Harwich. Usually we aim for Maldon or Heybridge Basin for lunch at the Tiptree team room, also handy for jam purchase for friends in the Netherlands!
From there towards Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Peldon, cross River Colne at lowest point and take cycle route to Wivenhoe where there is usually time for a drink on the waterfront. After that to Elmstead Market, and I think pretty much Jiber's route. If you have time in hand it's nice to go right out to Old Harwich via Dovercourt before doubling back to the ferry.
Happy to send a route file if you pm me an e-mail address. I think we also have a couple of workable routes out of London although what is best for you depends how n exactly where you are starting from.