Author Topic: Ottolock - lock lab review  (Read 1111 times)

Ottolock - lock lab review
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »
I know some of you have bought one of these so I though I’d share this YouTube link with you. It’s pretty damning to say the least.
https://youtu.be/8EbeBveRgms
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Re: Ottolock - lock lab review
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:35 pm »
Pretty damning of their quality control, that's all. None of the ones I've seen (quite a few) had that issue, and he is otherwise complementary about the build quality. The destruction part was interesting, angle grinder went straight through as expected, cutters couldn't and the body stood up to quite some hammering against an anvil.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 03:30:54 pm »
Our two don't do that.

I'll have a go with a shim this evening but I expect that method to work anyway.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 04:03:21 pm »
The hacksaw went through it in a few seconds though, yes I know it's for low security.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 04:08:37 pm »
The hacksaw went through it in a few seconds though, yes I know it's for low security.

ISTR that the hacksaw was used with the band clamped in a vice, I suspect it would be more difficult in the real world, but not impossible. Given we are talking about securing expensive bikes for a short while, my feeling (without evidence to back it up) is that the prime weapon of choice for a tea leaf would be bolt croppers as they work quickly, against which the Ottolock performs well.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:41:25 pm »
When the lock's in use on a bike, ie locked up, you would brace the lock against a part of the bike.

The problem with using cutters is using the wrong technique. If you try to cut in one go, with the cutting edge all the way across the band, you are spreading out the pressure.  Instead, nibble the cut, ideally use a cutter with very short cutting edges.

Various methods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76MgFoonyw8

Using brake cable cutters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klWxojQdxec

In most videos of people trying to break bike locks, either they're trying to promote the lock and don't try that hard using the wrong tools and technique, or if they're unbiased they're just incompetent.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 05:54:22 pm »
Used mine for the first time today on the Origami ride. I guess a pub garden in Cookham is not the unsafest place for a bike, but just the sort of usage I got it for.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 07:45:37 pm »
I know some of you have bought one of these so I though I’d share this YouTube link with you. It’s pretty damning to say the least.
https://youtu.be/8EbeBveRgms

Unimpressive.

However, I am unable to perform the same trick with mine. I might try and reset it again to see if it fails with a 00x combination set, as per the video, rather than a random xxx. The shim insertion weakness confirms that this lock is only suitable for the shortest of stops, as presumably a roving opportunist bike thief may well carry something like that. Perhaps a hacksaw blade would do the same thing, with more force.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:59:07 am »
The shim insertion weakness
I don't think there is a problem.  In the video the ratchet blade has failed to lock in place, which is why he is able to withdraw the line.  Since the ratchet blade is not locked, logically a shim will push it up and the lock can be opened.  This was a question on a much earlier video I saw when I was thinking about this lock.  It was demonstrated that this was not possible on a lock that is working correctly.  I intend to use my Ottolock when on tour because I think it is a little more secure than my 40 year old cable lock, as well as being lighter and more compact.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50:43 am »
The shim insertion weakness
I don't think there is a problem.  In the video the ratchet blade has failed to lock in place, which is why he is able to withdraw the line. 

True.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 06:36:09 pm »
Just a small point, but the reviewer's attention to detail is not great. For a start, he confuses the 'roll up for compactness' rubber keeper for a frame mount ......

Mine's working fine btw.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 08:37:35 pm »
To be fair to Bosnian Bill (he of the Lock Lab) he normally does very thorough lock attacks, and as he did point out, he got three faulty units, so a proper review was out of the question. He just thought that he should highlight the quality control issue so that anyone who has one actually tests it. The one bit of the video that slipped into his normal approach was where he pointed the good build tolerances which stopped him from using a feeler gauge. Had one of the locks actually worked, then you would have got a much more thorough attack and review.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 08:53:06 pm »
"Three faulty units".

Hmmmm.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:54 pm »
Shockingly poor QC, or just unlucky with one batch, may be reseller not paying attention. Happy with mine so far, used within its limitations, ie better than nowt.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

dim

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 08:25:26 pm »
I've been looking closely at the Ottolock for a while now, and I will most probably buy one for Audax rides because it is light and small

however, I will not use this anywhere in Cambridge (very high bike theft area) ... a small hammer will smash the lock in seconds, especially if it is locked against a bike rack (position the lock on the metal pipe of the bike rack, and the lock will smash with a decent strike

even if a bike thief has not seen one of these, he may target the bike as the lock looks flimsly
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 09:22:14 pm »
Shockingly poor QC, or just unlucky with one batch, may be reseller not paying attention.

Or user error?

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 10:01:10 pm »
No, it's clear from the video it wasn't user error, they just shouldn't work  (not work?) like that.